Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 08:31   #31

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Fort Myers to the Keys

This is called Shark River on older charts. Updated versions will change the river's name to the Python River. Notice to Mariners FL 123.4 dated 2/18/2007.This is evolution at its finest as the escaped pythons from the old Sepentarium, local breeders, and ****-for-brains hobbyists, plus Hurricane Andrew-liberated zoo specimens have combined in a perfect environment for their propagation and growth.

It is felt that there is a super-python strain evolving in the region. The animals swim well and can climb out of the water onto transiting yachts easily. Sugar scoop sterns are a welcome mat for these hungry snakes with no predators. Many incidents of missing crew members have been reported and it is felt that the plethora of so-called "ghost ships of the glades" are snake fatalities.

Worse, if possible, are a very few "old foggies" living aboard older, well-maintained, traditional sailing vessels. These jungle-trained and hardened boat bums, thought to be former yachtsmen, are potentially far more dangerous than the damned pythons. Few have holding tanks. Fewer still use them. Do not swim on an outgoing tide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shark river (2).png
Views:	237
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	51016  
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26   #32

Boat: None Yet

@BlueCrab -- very intersting and pretty scary. I am kind of like Indiana Jones, I HATE snakes.

@Sumner -- The picture at the bottom of this page (link below) is very helpful! It gets me into the ball park so I can study more closely.

FL Spring 2011 page1
charlesclloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07   #33

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
This is called Shark River on older charts. Updated versions will change the river's name to the Python River. Notice to Mariners FL 123.4 dated 2/18/2007.This is evolution at its finest as the escaped pythons from the old Sepentarium, local breeders, and ****-for-brains hobbyists, plus Hurricane Andrew-liberated zoo specimens have combined in a perfect environment for their propagation and growth.

It is felt that there is a super-python strain evolving in the region. The animals swim well and can climb out of the water onto transiting yachts easily. Sugar scoop sterns are a welcome mat for these hungry snakes with no predators. Many incidents of missing crew members have been reported and it is felt that the plethora of so-called "ghost ships of the glades" are snake fatalities.

Worse, if possible, are a very few "old foggies" living aboard older, well-maintained, traditional sailing vessels. These jungle-trained and hardened boat bums, thought to be former yachtsmen, are potentially far more dangerous than the damned pythons. Few have holding tanks. Fewer still use them. Do not swim on an outgoing tide.
Aw come on, don't scare off the visiting bait!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:15   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Just a couple of notes here in order to honor truth. DotDun has correctly referred to the protected anchorage as Little Shark River. Shark River, as opposed to Little Shark, has a wider opening, but many shoals and should not be attemped except in a skiff or with specific local knowledge. Also, although the Brumese Pythons have been a threat to the indigenous community of the Everglades National Park wildlife, they are no threat to the transient cruisers in the SW Florida area. It's humoruos to tell these "snake" stories, but I would not want anyone to fear pythons as a Florida cruiser. Also, this is not a case of "evolution" as stated in a post above, but the dispersal of a species to a new area.
Old 10-12-2012, 16:26   #35

Just a quick story concerning Yacht Channel.Headed towards NW Cape and noticed speed dropping(motering 5 ft draft 43 Irwin) with no brown trail behind.Stopped to check for crab pot only to find 18 to 24 inches of grassy bottom .Keel was dragging through the grass slowing us down!
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:51   #36

Well, you can view this offering by the University of Florida
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	121207071251-01-florida-python-1207-story-top.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	51026  
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:25   #37

Boat: O'Day 28

My first post was meant to be humorous, as most know. That's not to say there wasn't an element of truth in it, I'm afraid. I've been up and down the Shark Rivers, and heading down again to the area for good. It will never be a popular area for tourists from the point of view of mosquitos/noseeums alone, however.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:45   #38

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
My first post was meant to be humorous, as most know. That's not to say there wasn't an element of truth in it, I'm afraid. I've been up and down the Shark Rivers, and heading down again to the area for good. It will never be a popular area for tourists from the point of view of mosquitos/noseeums alone, however.
Yes please don't scare all of the cruisers away from the area or we will be the only mosquito bait there ,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:03   #39

I brought this over from a private message with Sumner, but attachments aren't enabled there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner
I'd also recommend if you wanted the inside channel from Goodland below Marco Island on up to Naples if you had time and wanted to go inside.
Is this (see attached) close to what you were thinking for Goodland to Naples? It doesn't look like you can get all the way to Naples, but need to exit at Gordon Pass. Is that correct? [I am using a Demo version of MacENC to help me do this investigation, which is why is shows "Demo"]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GoodlandToNaples.png
Views:	233
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	51028  
Old 10-12-2012, 18:42   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesclloyd View Post
I brought this over from a private message with Sumner, but attachments aren't enabled there.

Is this (see attached) close to what you were thinking for Goodland to Naples? It doesn't look like you can get all the way to Naples, but need to exit at Gordon Pass. Is that correct? [I am using a Demo version of MacENC to help me do this investigation, which is why is shows "Demo"]
As I recall... it gets a wee skinny in there... Back in the day that was one pretty trip( late 70's to mid 80's)... all concrete now
Old 10-12-2012, 18:50   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
As I recall... it gets a wee skinny in there... Back in the day that was one pretty trip( late 70's to mid 80's)... all concrete now
My father saw the satellite image of Macro island and was shocked. He went there in the early 60s and there was a gas station but not much else, he said. Its kind of sad to see how paradise has been paved over.
Old 10-12-2012, 19:20   #42

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
There is plenty of water for 3' draft on that route, assuming you can read charts and follow the channel markers and fit under 55' bridges. Not sure what you mean by "It doesn't look like you can get all the way to Naples". The entrance/exit to the Gulf from Naples Bay is Gordon Pass.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 19:59   #43

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:

With 3 foot of draft you are fine, but as was mentioned you need to follow good charts through there. We ended up doing the stretch between Marco and Goodland 3 times....

Naples to the Keys on the Gulf side of Marathon is from here...

FL Spring 2011 page 6

...to here...

FL Spring 2011 page 16

....just reverse it and from Marathon north to Key Largo is also there after Marathon. Pay good attention to the markers at the bridge over to Marco Island, top right arrow and the currents there can be quite strong.

We did it with no real problems using SeaClearII and NOAA charts on the ship's computer transferring waypoints to a handheld Garmin Map 76S,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort myers