Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2008, 16:47   #1

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
florida to usvi

Still exploring our options and may go east to usvi rather than west to Texas and points south.
Any comments about preferred route?... the thorny path or coast cuba, dom. repub., P.R.?
My inclination is the thorny path.

cheers,
mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 09:42   #2

If by "thorny path" you mean down through the Bahamas/T&C/DR/PR/USVI...then I would say that you will be hard pressed in the Vega once you make the turn at the DR.
I don't know your background...but steady trade winds and seas make it impossible to make ANY progress for significant periods of time and when you do get a travelling window, you need to make the most of it before things close down again. So...you must be prepared to wait and not be under time pressure to be somewhere.
I am not aware of any Cuba route that works and does not require even MORE windward beating.
From where you are, the offshore to "route 60" and then south plan doesn't work very well unless you can carry enough fuel to get you east a good bit of the way.
My advice would be for the Thorny Path...and a good read of "A gentleman's guide to passages south" given the size of your boat and the need to make the most of favorable winds.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 15:54   #3

Cam,

That is about what I expected to hear. The Vega can make make pretty good to windward but due to the short waterline, it obviously has limitations.Thanks for the reply and advice
I will have a look at your recommended lit.

anybody else?

cheers,
mm
Old 29-03-2008, 18:17   #4

Boat: Whitby 42 ketch: Lone Star
We did the "Thorny Path" last year. You should have a reliable way to get weather information. If you pick your weather windows, it works OK. We had a very pleasant "Mona Passage" crossing. The passage from the Turks to the DR was with thunderstorms, a wet ride, but it put the wind abaft the beam, which was unusual. The real bugger is the south coast of PR, but if you follow Van Sants directions there, you'll be OK. Just don't try to bite off too much of the coastline in one hop. Until you get past St Martin, you are still working to windward. Take your time & enjoy it!
Fair Winds.
Tom
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 19:23   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomuffins View Post
Still exploring our options and may go east to usvi rather than west to Texas and points south.
Any comments about preferred route?... the thorny path or coast cuba, dom. repub., P.R.?
My inclination is the thorny path.

cheers,
mm
If you were starting from further north, I'd suggest heading for Bermuda. Once you east to lon65W, turn right.

From Florida, the thorny path is about your only option. As others have suggested, Bruce van Sant's The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South is a valuable guide.

Have a good passage.

TaoJones

PS: Can yu identify the ideogram you use as your avatar for me?
Old 29-03-2008, 19:28   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Key Biscayne, through the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, north coast of the DR, Puerto Rico to USVI and use our friend Bruce Van Sant's guide and you will love it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 09:10   #7

Thanks so much everyone for the good info... still waiting for our plans to gel.

To: Tao Jones, the ideogram is cha, which is tea. I like your quote. Here is another of my favorites, well worn but oh so true...
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step [or in our case, the first tack]." Lao Tzu

Tags
florida