Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 13:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon380
Send a message via Skype™ to lflbeltrao
Florida to Chesapeake Bay offshore

Hi,
I'm planning a passage from Florida (probably St. Augustine) to Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic in May 2015. I would like to receive comments and tips on the best route, scales, sea conditions and winds in this time of year.

Thanks and happy sailing!
lflbeltrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 15:13   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Florida to Chesapeake Bay offshore

One of the keys in going north is knowing when to leave the stream as it bends eastward and not get stuck in the counter-current. It can be a real slog.

Can’t say much about going around Hatteras. Never done it and don’t plan to.

If you’re destination is the Chesapeake, consider the ICW from Morehead City to Norfolk.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 15:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Generally plan on a leg to Charleston or Beaufort, NC, then rest or wait for a weather window to get around Cape Hatteras. Its not fun to hurry.
CptLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 15:37   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflbeltrao View Post
----a passage from Florida (probably St. Augustine) to Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic ----
From the Chesapeake to the Atlantic? Does this mean you intend to use the ICW from Florida to the Chesapeake?
Old 03-11-2014, 16:10   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Hi,
I'm planning a passage from Florida (probably St. Augustine) to Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic in May 2015. I would like to receive comments and tips on the best route, scales, sea conditions and winds in this time of year.

You might ask the catamaran sailors on Catsailor.com.

They used to run that leg every year from 1976 when they did it on Hobie 16's until recently when the did it on the Inter 20 with spinnaker.

They called it the Worrell 1000 since it started (right here in VA Beach) with a couple guys getting hammered and daring each other etc.

Worrell 1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.google.com/search?q=worr...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:17   #6

Boat: Lagoon380
Send a message via Skype™ to lflbeltrao

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. I have never sailed in this region and have little information. I plan to return to Florida in October by the IWC.
Would like to have comments from someone who has done this passage.
Thank you and good winds.
lflbeltrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:33   #7

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

May can be variable. It's a shoulder season weather-wise, so you may still the occasional front shifting winds to N. You probably know this, but avoid the Gulf Stream when winds are out of the N.

I've only been from farther south,,where the stream is super close. If the weather is conducive, you can make some easting beyond the rhumb line to offshore hatteras, and you won't be disappointed in the time saved once you're on the magic carpet. If you and the boat are prepared, it's something you don't want to miss on a northward passage! No telling how fast you could go in that boat, it will blow your mind if you can make 10 knots through the water alone, then add the assist from current. Plus it's beautiful out there.

With good weather reports offshore, you can make for cape fear or Beaufort NC if forecast doesn't support staying in the stream and around hatteras. In a good forecast it is fine, but stay alert, hatteras weather can be unpredictable in the shoulder seasons. At least thunderstorm activity should be low, but not nonexistent. This is a classic passage, doesn't get any better. Lots of places to head in on the way north, but farther away if you're in the stream axis. Make sure you have something besides VHF for Wx and comms, as you're pretty far out there.

Cheers

Sent from my iSomething using tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, florida, offshore