Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 21:56   #1

Florida Keys Moorings

Hi All!

I am looking to rent a mooring ball for a couple months in the Key Largo area and am having a hard time finding something. Can anyone make any recommendations?
Captseashanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:45   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Florida Keys Moorings

I think the only mooring field in Key Largo is at John Pennekamp. There was a discussion here earlier last year about daily rates only. I'm currently in Marathon and the wait list is about 40 boats.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, seashanti.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The question that comes to mind would be your interest in shore access. The Pennekamp moorings give you the mangrove creeks and the park,but not close to provisioning. There used to be a couple of moorings in the little lake by the Pilot House Marina, but I usually found them full.

What is your draft and your interest in the bay side of Key Largo? There are plenty of good and well-protected anchoring spots around Gilbert's, by the Caribbean Club, in Tarpon Basin and in Sunset Cove.

A five foot draft will easily allow you access to the Bayside, but public shore access is limited. Some of the public landings available ten years ago are now closed.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
I think the only mooring field in Key Largo is at John Pennekamp. There was a discussion here earlier last year about daily rates only. I'm currently in Marathon and the wait list is about 40 boats.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
The question that comes to mind would be your interest in shore access. The Pennekamp moorings give you the mangrove creeks and the park,but not close to provisioning. There used to be a couple of moorings in the little lake by the Pilot House Marina, but I usually found them full.

What is your draft and your interest in the bay side of Key Largo? There are plenty of good and well-protected anchoring spots around Gilbert's, by the Caribbean Club, in Tarpon Basin and in Sunset Cove.

A five foot draft will easily allow you access to the Bayside, but public shore access is limited. Some of the public landings available ten years ago are now closed.

Shore access is something I will need... My interest in Largo is just to spend some time exploring the area and do a little tinkering on the boat...

Our draft is 5.5 ft. I'm not focused on the Bayside entirely, just looking for some shelter and a nice vibe.

Thanks for your suggestions! I will defiantly look into the areas you suggested more
Old 05-02-2017, 11:46   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captseashanti View Post
Shore access is something I will need...

SNIP
One thing that shocks a lot of folks is how limited shore access is; and not just in the Keys. A lot of the reason for this is economic. Building and maintaining a decent dock costs money; and it probably costs more for liability insurance. To make matters worse there has been a history of low budget cruisers abusing hospitality of local facilities. The theory is that if a boater does not have money to pay for dockage or mooring they won't be helping the local economy so why build/maintain a dinghy dock for them.

Another consideration is you did not mention when you want to visit. As posted earlier there is a 30-40 deep waiting list for balls in BKH; but that is right now. In summer months maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the balls are empty.

Keep in mind that at BKH there is a five cents a gallon charge for water and if you are staying for a couple of months you may well be faced with how to ration your water. As mentioned earlier there are some previously opened shore access points that are now closed. Part of the reason was that folks were using these public park places to get water (and some even taking nude showers in public view at water faucets) and dumping their trash in over flowing trash cans. So not only will you probably need to get water to your boat but get trash off as well, both of which you may well have to pay for.

Last, but not least, there is also a security issue. How will you secure your boat/motor once you land it and how will you make sure you feel secure that your big boat will not drift or be subject to theft.

There are a lot of things paying for dock space or a ball get for you and a lot of problems if you just anchor out. But the bottom line is there are not enough docks or balls for all the boats that want them.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
One thing that shocks a lot of folks is how limited shore access is; and not just in the Keys. A lot of the reason for this is economic. Building and maintaining a decent dock costs money; and it probably costs more for liability insurance. To make matters worse there has been a history of low budget cruisers abusing hospitality of local facilities. The theory is that if a boater does not have money to pay for dockage or mooring they won't be helping the local economy so why build/maintain a dinghy dock for them.

Another consideration is you did not mention when you want to visit. As posted earlier there is a 30-40 deep waiting list for balls in BKH; but that is right now. In summer months maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the balls are empty.

Keep in mind that at BKH there is a five cents a gallon charge for water and if you are staying for a couple of months you may well be faced with how to ration your water. As mentioned earlier there are some previously opened shore access points that are now closed. Part of the reason was that folks were using these public park places to get water (and some even taking nude showers in public view at water faucets) and dumping their trash in over flowing trash cans. So not only will you probably need to get water to your boat but get trash off as well, both of which you may well have to pay for.

Last, but not least, there is also a security issue. How will you secure your boat/motor once you land it and how will you make sure you feel secure that your big boat will not drift or be subject to theft.

There are a lot of things paying for dock space or a ball get for you and a lot of problems if you just anchor out. But the bottom line is there are not enough docks or balls for all the boats that want them.
Well good thing that I'm not looking for any handouts or to throw my trash where it doesn't belong. I am certainly not looking for a free anchor for a couple of months. Just a nice spot to pay a reasonable fee to enjoy the keys. I appreciate your responses
Old 06-02-2017, 04:16   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Well good thing that I'm not looking for any handouts or to throw my trash where it doesn't belong. I am certainly not looking for a free anchor for a couple of months. Just a nice spot to pay a reasonable fee to enjoy the keys. I appreciate your responses
I like the stand for responsibility to dispose of trash properly and to respect the shore side private property; however, this is not something that I would want cruisers to assume to be a responsibility that requires paying for a slip or a mooring ball.

We have, over our forty-five years of liveaboard cruising, spent many long periods of time anchored without a fee. For us, anchoring out with environmental responsibility requires mobility. We do keep an opportunity to visit pump out stations; however, composting heads can be another option. We do compact and store trash well and conserve our fresh water supply.

We have found some areas have changed over time. Sunset Cove on the bay side of Key Largo is such a place. We used to anchor here for about a month at a time, but after the fire at Snooks and the closing of the public access to shore, we no longer stop there more that a couple days.

Our favorite long term anchorages are wilderness areas and we usually do our provisioning with short stays at a mooring or slip. Anchoring with independence from commercial marinas is one of the greatest freedoms of cruising.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:48   #10

Nice! I couldn't agree more!
Old 06-02-2017, 04:50   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Shore access is something I will need... My interest in Largo is just to spend some time exploring the area and do a little tinkering on the boat...

Our draft is 5.5 ft. I'm not focused on the Bayside entirely, just looking for some shelter and a nice vibe.

Thanks for your suggestions! I will defiantly look into the areas you suggested more

5.5' draft for the bayside will be pretty tight.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
5.5' draft for the bayside will be pretty tight.

I was wondering about that...
Old 06-02-2017, 05:29   #13

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I like to think I am responsible and respectful of the environment and the property of others but in the same token I don't like to be taken advantage of or ripped off just because i am a visitor. I too am planning on making my first trip down in the fall and I too am finding it difficult to fine any place that has the welcome mat out. Having made several phone calls it became apparent that the hostility toward cruisers and or out of area boaters is prevalent. I like Hudson's approach but because of my size i will need to make that trips to re-supply from time to time and finding a place that welcomes that is becoming increasing difficult and costly. My mission is to enjoy the beauty of the keys and the history it has to tell.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:18   #14

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Keep in mind that at BKH there is a five cents a gallon charge for water and if you are staying for a couple of months you may well be faced with how to ration your water. As mentioned earlier there are some previously opened shore access points that are now closed. Part of the reason was that folks were using the public park places to get water (and some even taking nude showers in public view at water faucets) and dumping their trash in over flowing trash cans. So not only will you probably need to get water to your boat but get trash off as well, both of which you may well have to pay for." tomfl

Tom,
You mention several critical areas that are affecting the freedom of cruising throughout Florida: potable water, access, trash and perception. And, it is these concerns that have caused both major and minor restrictions on anchoring. Firstly, for a cruiser to complain that he has to pay five cents a gallon for water is patently absurd. Florida is not the Great Lakes and water is a valued resource. However, five cents a gallon compared to Bahamian prices is a real deal. If a cruiser can't afford the price, perhaps they should consider selling the boat and playing checkers for a hobby. Secondly, access is being denied throughout Florida because cruisers bring with them the stereotype of freeloading cheapskates in dirty boats that abuse access privileges by dumping garbage along the shore or in homeowners/business owners garbage bins and, as mentioned in the previous example, bathing nude at water fountains. The first two examples we witnessed numerous times at Sunset Harbor--one of our favorite waypoints South. So, when those like the OP are seriously looking for a mooring, the stereotype he carries is a burden, not a benefit. The State of Florida, in my opinion, has done a great job in providing clean, functional access for "cruising" sailors with their numerous mooring fields which when compared to marina prices are a real deal. And, with a little skill, effort, and creativity, there are hundreds of safe anchorages off the beaten path available to the cruiser who wants more than a waterborne trailer park. Good luck, Captain in your search and safe sailing.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:38   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You have to be ripped off as a visitor for it to work, by ripped off I mean paying a little extra for everything, the locals need / have to make a profit off of you. I am fine with that myself, however of course I am not signing up to be grossly overcharged for nothing either.
Personally I will just transit through areas that I am sure used to be paradise, but are now in fact floating trailer parks. To a great extent, we have met the enemy, they are us.
If we are to pass on a cruising type of lifestyle, then we must all start a movement of always leaving a place better than it was when we got there, and start working to change the locals opinions of us.
Live aboard has a nasty connotation to it in South Fl I have noticed, it didn't used to be that way, cruisers is next if we are not careful
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, florida keys, mooring