Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 13:48   #1

Boat: Island Packet 45 - Far Niente
Florida East Coast - Safe Inlets and Inlets to Avoid ?

Getting ready to head south from Hilton Head, SC for Marathon, FL.

Planning right now and I'd like some local knowledge on which of the east coast inlets to avoid (45' Sail, 5' draft, 61' mast). I have read about nasty situations at St. Augustine and Port Lucie.

Any others to avoid?

What are the favored inlets for stopping? Jacksonville, Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks for the local knowledge.

Jeff
s/v Far Niente
IP 45 #33
JeffGIP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 13:57   #2

Boat: Boatless
All the entries can be dangerous in bad weather especially from the north and the east. I have seen both Lauderdale and Miami so bad I would not enter them.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 14:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGIP45 View Post
What are the favored inlets for stopping? Jacksonville, Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks for the local knowledge.

Jeff
s/v Far Niente
IP 45 #33
As Moondancer said,- any can be nasty in bad conditions, but other excellent Florida inlets in addition to those you listed are: St. Mary's River at Fernandina, Fort Pierce, Lake Worth Inlet (Palm Beach), and Governor's Cut (Miami). I would not hesitate to use the inlets at St. Lucie or St. Augustine in mild flat conditions. Some say Ponce Inlet between Daytona and New Smyrna is satisfactory, but, unlike the others, I've never used it.
Old 09-01-2011, 14:51   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Also, be careful with the inlet at St. Augustine. It's notorious for shoaling. Good idea to get local knowledge before entering. I also check cruisersnet.net for any updates beforehand.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 15:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Great advise from Dennisjay! I would not hestitate to call "any station" for local knowledge at an inlet! I am presently in Saint Augustine and it's important to note that the shoaling problem results in moving the channel markers and occasional dredging. I've been using the Saint Augustine inlet at times since 1974. After dredging the channel is a straight shot in and then over the years it snakes and curves to the south before going offshore. People that have the problems are those that are swept unaware out of the channel by currents or those that have not seen the markers that are blocked from consistant view due to wave heights. Jacksonville's class A-1 inlet is just thirty miles north if the weather doesn't suit, but if it's mild and flat, there's no reason to avoid St. Augustine.
Old 09-01-2011, 15:12   #6
TEE

I have been in at Jacksonville, Cape Canaveral, St. Augustine, and Ft. Lauderdale. You asked what favorites we might have, and my favorite is St. Augustine. There is no good reason to avoid St. Augustine. Just go in at daylight and in good conditions. You might ask for any station, but remember, any idiot can push the transmit button on a VHF. St. Augustine is a historic city with a lot to see, a number of fine restaurants, and has a decent downtown marina. Cape Canaveral is a commerical port, miles from anything, and you can't really walk anywhere from your boat. It is my least prefered inlet, but it is really well marked if you have to go in somewhere in bad conditions it would be the least risky.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 15:43   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
with the st. johns river going out and a strong northeaster like we have today you can get 5 or 6 foot standing swells at the jax inlet .. almost like a rage. also there are huge ships coming in and out at all times. it's a long way to a marina or any anchorage. better places to stop at st. aug or fernandina.
Old 09-01-2011, 16:49   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
with the st. johns river going out and a strong northeaster like we have today you can get 5 or 6 foot standing swells at the jax inlet .. almost like a rage. also there are huge ships coming in and out at all times. it's a long way to a marina or any anchorage. better places to stop at st. aug or fernandina.
Good advice to consider, but just to put a number on that "long way to any anchorage", it's 5 miles to good holding in sand at 12 feet in "Old River" on the east side of Blount Island about 30-50 yards off the houses on the east side and just north of the "caution manatee" sign. 'and, of course, the big ships use this inlet because it's big deep and wide.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:24   #9

The roughest ride we’ve EVER had going out an inlet was at St Augustine. No wind, outgoing tide and appeared to be FAC. (Flat Ass Calm) We asked at the municipal marina office if there was anything we needed to know before heading out the inlet, they said no, just follow the markers. (As TEE states – “You might ask for any station, but remember, any idiot can push the transmit button on a VHF.”) There was however a two-three foot swell that we couldn’t even detect rolling in from the east. All was smooth until we were well outside of the inlet and turning south to exit the channel. We and the boat leaving with us both hit the six to eight foot standing waves at the same time. Three to four minutes of “excitement” and burying the bow a couple of times and we were once again in flat water. You could not see the standing waves until you were almost on top of them. We now prefer the class A inlets.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 17:29   #10

Boat: Fast Passage 40
what did you hear about st aug...i was in and out last month in good weather no prob...follow the dotted line
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:39   #11

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
A recent post with local information regarding the St. Lucie inlet. It may not be as bad as reported: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dge-51966.html
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:45   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Call TowBoatUS before entering an inlet if you are not familiar with it. They always respond and have the latest information
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57   #13

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity
We keep our boat in St. Augustine and yes the inlet can be nasty any time the tide is against the swell. Despite the best efforts, the channel marking leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. We were last in and out 9 days ago, follow the red channel markers tight and we never saw less than 12' of water. There were breaking waves on the channel side of the green markers...
The city is in the process of completing their mooring field, pumpout at your boat on the mooring and access to laundry and showers ashore.
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 17:51   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
St. Marys can get rough with eastern winds and outgoing tide, the jetty really funnels the water, didn't TowBoat lose a boat at St. Augustine inlet trying to tow a sailboat off one of the shores earlier this year?
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:43   #15

Boat: csy 37
ponce inlet is good on a nice day. on a nice weekend the inlet is sometimes heavily populated with local fishing skiffs. on a bad day i would avoid it, especially with wind against tide. you can get some pretty extreme overfalls at the entrance, may have to hang on to the wheel or tiller for dear life with you're stern is slewing around while trying to keep off the rocks to the north and the shoals to the south. on a really bad day it's worse.

so keep to the north side - the side with the ROCK JETTY. there is shoaling on the south side. the channel is well marked - the bouys inside the inlet are occasionally moved around by the coast guard station just inside the inlet on the south side. outside the inlet is well marked with floating bouys.

once inside you will probably want to go south to new smyrna beach where one lift bridge opens every half hour. just past the route 44 highway bridge (fixed 65 feet) there is an unofficial anchorage. you can land a dinghy on the north west side of the fixed bridge at docks provided by the town. limited shopping available.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, florida, florida inlets