Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 07:58   #31

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: FL to Pig Beach - best route, place to clear customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post
Hi everyone
Based on the tip by Billknny, it looks like doing a trip to the pigs near Green Turtle Cay (on No Name Cay) would be easier. Marsh Harbor is only 20 miles away and has decent flights which offers fantastic flexibility for the wife and kids’ schedule. They could join me for the passage from Florida to Marsh Harbor to clear customs, then hang around that area for a few days then they could return to the States via airplane.

Odds are we would do this trip in mid-March, and I would likely leave from Jacksonville FL. I’m thinking that Marsh Harbor would be a good place to make landfall and clear customs, and maybe even get a regular hotel room at the marina so they don’t get burned out after a two day passage (it would be their first long voyage). If anyone had a great experience renting a room ashore at one of the marinas please let me know.

Also, about the mooring balls in the harbor, I’ve heard you don’t really make reservations for them, you just pick one up and tie up. I imagine then take a dinghy ashore and pay. But how do you know which marina owns the ball? Are they labeled?

Thanks again, you guys saved me so much potential family unhappiness.
‘Dubs

I've cleared a lot of places. Marsh Harbour is a favorite. Very easy. The challenge is that while mostly it is fast and easy sometimes they get backed up.

Here is what I would do - especially starting as far North as JAX: head due East until you are across the Gulf Stream (you can tell from sea water temperature on your depth display). You eat the Northing and focus on getting East. Crabbing against the Gulf Stream is a sucker's bet. Autopilot on heading NOT waypoint. Over the top of the Bahamas to North Man o' War Cut and into Marsh. Call Conch Inn and tell them you are coming in for fuel and clearance and ask them to call customs and immigration for you. Tie up at fuel dock at one end or the other and top up. Walk up to the office and get status on the C&I officers. Tell them I sent you. Be nice. Don't embarrass me. *grin* A small paper bowl of M&M Peanuts for the ladies in the office will not go amiss. If C&I is delayed you can move to a mooring ball or anchor if they want you off the fuel dock and be prepared to dinghy in.

Once you are cleared in. I can recommend a short walk to Colors by the Sea that has good food, great Internet, and is kid friendly. The table in the corner by the power outlet is mine. Dibs.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 08:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I've cleared a lot of places. Marsh Harbour is a favorite. Very easy. The challenge is that while mostly it is fast and easy sometimes they get backed up.

Here is what I would do - especially starting as far North as JAX: head due East until you are across the Gulf Stream (you can tell from sea water temperature on your depth display). You eat the Northing and focus on getting East. Crabbing against the Gulf Stream is a sucker's bet. Autopilot on heading NOT waypoint. Over the top of the Bahamas to North Man o' War Cut and into Marsh. Call Conch Inn and tell them you are coming in for fuel and clearance and ask them to call customs and immigration for you. Tie up at fuel dock at one end or the other and top up. Walk up to the office and get status on the C&I officers. Tell them I sent you. Be nice. Don't embarrass me. *grin* A small paper bowl of M&M Peanuts for the ladies in the office will not go amiss. If C&I is delayed you can move to a mooring ball or anchor if they want you off the fuel dock and be prepared to dinghy in.

Once you are cleared in. I can recommend a short walk to Colors by the Sea that has good food, great Internet, and is kid friendly. The table in the corner by the power outlet is mine. Dibs.

Did you get charged a dockage fee from Conch Inn for C&I clearance?, we got charged $28.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 08:44   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Did you get charged a dockage fee from Conch Inn for C&I clearance?, we got charged $28.
I have not been charged. However, I'm there a lot, bringing in many boats, they've gotten a lot of business from me. I can't honestly say that I haven't been comped. I don't know. I do know that people I have sent there have stopped for fuel and C&I and also not been charged. When C&I is delayed my friends have moved out into the anchorage. I usually get a slip since I have customers flying in and that is their preference.

Did you buy fuel?

EDITED: "a lot" is two or three times a year, sometimes five.
Old 30-11-2018, 09:05   #34

Boat: Brewer 44

Not to burst your bubble, but Pig Beach? Its not one of my favorites in the Exumas. Its dirty and there are a lot of tour boats that bring a lot of people to the beach just to see a few pigs. I find it ironic since they probably ate bacon for breakfast.

There are, in my opinion much nicer cays to go to without the throngs of tourist. I wouldnt recommend a trip just to pig beach.
bfiegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 12:40   #35

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiegener View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but Pig Beach? Its not one of my favorites in the Exumas. Its dirty and there are a lot of tour boats that bring a lot of people to the beach just to see a few pigs. I find it ironic since they probably ate bacon for breakfast.

There are, in my opinion much nicer cays to go to without the throngs of tourist. I wouldnt recommend a trip just to pig beach.
This is 100% accurate, and I feel the same as you. That said, wives and children of cruising sailors (who have heard of the pigs and seen the cute pictures of them swimming) often do not feel this way until they have actually stood on that beach with the pigs and experienced exactly what you wrote about above. Ask me how I know
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 17:22   #36

Boat: Freedom 38

We really like Bimini Sands. Floating docks, very protected harbor. We used the stop to clear out - heading back to Florida, but understand customs/immigration will come to your boat to clear you in. 45 NM from FL to Bimini is nice short hop across stream.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 18:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiegener View Post

We refer to it as pig poop beach.

Having grown up on a farm with pigs, I have been less than impressed with all pigs since.
Old 30-11-2018, 23:04   #38

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Quote:

This is exactly what I was looking for regarding tips for the new destination of No Name Cay. Thank you A.
Any good places for snorkeling you know of around the area (No Name or Marsh), where the kids can see lots of fish or colorful reefs?
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:16   #39

Boat: Nicholson 40 pilothouse sloop I Wanda

You might want to consider Morgan's Bluff, Andros. Anchor in the outer harbor and dinghy in with a custom's office right by the inner harbor that has checked us in several times. If that office is not open you would need a ride to the airport (happened once). You have no dockage requirement and a much more direct route to Pig Beach. From Morgan's Bluff you can avoid Nassau if you do not prefer to visit there by cruising down the east side of Andros and crossing the banks via the Decca Channel, arriving in the Exumas just north of Staniel. Make sure you have the EXPLORER CHARTS for this trip, or any boating trip to the Bahamas

I would give the children the experience of seeing the pigs from the big boat, though, not the dinghy as the pigs can be aggressive about climbing into the dinghy if you have food there. They are not cute, or pet-like. I grew up on a farm and know that a mad hog can quickly injure and even kill a child. Sorry to spoil the more romantic view of Pig Beach...
Mary
I Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:27   #40

Bahamas used to have cruising fee of $300.00 May have gone up to $400.
Anybody know how much now?
legacy501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post
Thank you A.
Any good places for snorkeling you know of around the area (No Name or Marsh), where the kids can see lots of fish or colorful reefs?

You are welcome. I'm a diver but not a snorkeler. I defer to others. I can say that we have seen a lot of cool sea life sitting on the bow criss-crossing the Sea of Abaco. A remote control for the autopilot so the whole family can sit up there together is a wonderful thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Wanda View Post
You might want to consider Morgan's Bluff, Andros.

Hi Mary! Hugs to you and Christian. I agree with you about Andros and especially about pigs. *grin*
Old 02-12-2018, 04:42   #42

Quote:
I have not been charged. However, I'm there a lot, bringing in many boats, they've gotten a lot of business from me. I can't honestly say that I haven't been comped. I don't know. I do know that people I have sent there have stopped for fuel and C&I and also not been charged. When C&I is delayed my friends have moved out into the anchorage. I usually get a slip since I have customers flying in and that is their preference.

Did you buy fuel?

EDITED: "a lot" is two or three times a year, sometimes five.

Yes bought fuel, same as last year, last year we were not charged dockage.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy501 View Post
Bahamas used to have cruising fee of $300.00 May have gone up to $400.
Anybody know how much now?
As of last week still $300
Old 04-12-2018, 12:42   #44

Boat: Manta 42

No name to Bimini, leaving before sunrise. Usually puts us in around noon, anchor just north of Big Game, current is swift and not much room if it reverses. Run in and clear customs and buy or top off SIM card, usually 1 to 2 hours. Then run around and anchor north end of Bimini for a long nap. Leave middle of the night to West Bay, Grand Bahamas (100+ nm) and anchor. Next day onto Norman’s or Shroud (have anchoring fees in park now). Next day to Big Major. This time of year, you will need good weather to make all of the above. We will make for the Berries if we can’t make it south. You don’t want to get stuck in Bimini waiting for weather.
kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs, route