Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2018, 08:21   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469
FL to Pig Beach - best route, place to clear customs?

Hi everyone,
Long time reader, first time poster.
I have a 47' sailboat with a 5.5' draft which I am moving to Florida, probably around the Ft. Lauderdale area. I want to take the wife and kids on a trip to Pig Beach, near Staniel Cay. I have been doing a lot of forum reading trying to research as much as I can, but want to put up this post for more direct input.
Two questions:

1) What would be the best route? It looks like would be two major paths, one would go down the Tongue of the Ocean and then cut east to get to the beach, while the other would head out East down Exuma Sound and then cut West near Thunderball / north Staniel Cay. I think the wind forecast will play a role as well; the wife and kids hate when we have to tack all the time, so if there were two good routes pre-established, I could just see which works better with the wind at the time we go.

2) Where would the best/fastest place to clear customs be along the route? Ideally a place where you can just tie up and walk to the customs/immigration, as opposed to having to make an appointment for them to come to you. Also, ideally a place that doesn't have a very strong current since I can't rely much on the wife and kids to help if the current is making docking difficult. I've heard good things about Bimini Blue Water Marina, that it doesn't have the strong currents some of the other Bimini marinas do, but maybe there is some place better than Bimini to clear in given whatever the best route is.

By the way, I've read that Big Game Marina now charges $50 or so just to tie up and clear in, which seems a big much. Not disputing their right to charge it, it just seems a little high. If wherever we tie up to clear in charges a tie-up fee, we'll clear and be on our way, but if they don't charge a fee (or a small one) we will have a nice lunch at that place as a way of saying thanks.

Thanks much for any thoughts.
Best,
'Dubs
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 11:27   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: FL to Pig Beach - best route, place to clear customs?

On your boat (with a proper weather window), you can sail/motor to Nassau from Ft. Lauderdale in about 24-27 hours (routing onto the banks just north of North Rock, Bimini and through NW Channel). Clear customs there and catch up on your sleep, next day go Nassau to Shroud or Normans Cay. Next day you can reach Staniel. This is all on the banks side, not Exuma sound.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 11:29   #3

Also, those pigs at Big Majors Spot are aggressive and will sometimes bite, so use caution.
Old 19-11-2018, 15:22   #4

Hi Lowcountry
Many thanks for your replies.
Re: tips about pigs biting, thanks for mentioning that, did some research and sure enough. If the pigs think you have food and are holding back they get nippy. So will armor up the kids and have them either feed the pigs via some tongs or something to keep their hands away.

Re: the route, thanks for the thoughts on that. I was just reading another post you made on a different thread and you mentioned how nice Warderick Wells Cay is, which looks to be about 15 miles away from Pig Beach. It looks beautiful and has places to snorkel and looks like the kids would really enjoy it, so what I'm thinking about is going from Florida to Warderick Wells, then on to Pig Beach. Maybe then another day at Warderick before heading back to FL. Under this scenario, where would be the fastest place to clear customs along the route? You mentioned Nassau earlier (don't think we would spend the night, just check in), but it looks like it could take a while to get in and out of. Any place you can think of which would be a quick in-and-out? Of if Nassau wouldn't take a lot of extra time, which marina would you recommend to facilitate a quick tie-up/check in? When I've flow to Nassau before, I loved eating at the Green Parrot at Hurricane Hole marina but not sure that has customs / immigration nearby or if they'd charge you a pretty penny to tie up for a few hours.
Thanks
'Dubs
Old 19-11-2018, 15:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
FL to Pig Beach - best route, place to clear customs?

I haven’t seen the pigs in 15 years, but plan on going there this year.
It’s my understanding that of course they like to be fed, will swim out to the boat for that, but some fresh water is what they really need.
I plan on trying that when I get there this year.
There was a report a year or two ago of cruisers poisoning one or more of them, but I think it turned out that they died of dehydration?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 20:45   #6

Boat: Whitby 42

Remember you may only get 2 good weather days between fronts and back to strong easterlies. Bimini is super easy check in. Tie up at weeches it's the cheapest. Last trip we passed bimini and cleared at Chubb cay airport, easy Check in but I anchored at Fraser's hog cay and walked across. Chub cay will charge you if you go through there side. From there jump across to rose island to avoid Nassau then your a day from exumas.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 04:21   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'Dubs.
I usually cleared in at Cat Cay, from FTL.
Thence to Nassau, cross the (White & Yellow) banks to Norman's, then down to Staniel (Big Major's Spot, below) either on Banks or Sound.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 04:29   #8

Pig beach is exciting if you have never seen a pig before. I’m guessing that includes most people who are surprised to find that pigs are often aggressive and will bite. Our pigs (hogs) sure did.
Old 20-11-2018, 05:11   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Note:
Cat Cay (& Bimini) are easier to make from further South (say, No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne) than from FLL.
Don’t miss Thunderball Grotto, when you’re in the neighbourhood (Pig Beach).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 05:35   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Pig beach is exciting if you have never seen a pig before. I’m guessing that includes most people who are surprised to find that pigs are often aggressive and will bite. Our pigs (hogs) sure did.

We let someone raise pigs on our land for awhile.
My Father cautioned me to be sure I never fell down on the ground around the pigs, seems you may not get back up.
However the pigs here are much more friendly and more like pets, and cause they aren’t kept in muddy pig pens, they are clean too.
It surprised me how well they swam, I guess I figured that with feet like that they would be poor swimmers
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:45   #11

Hi everyone thanks for the great input.
I think I am okay on the route, and going to buy some tongs to feed the pigs. But still trying to figure out the quickest place to clear customs which wouldn't try to hit you with an absurd tie-up fee. It would also be helpful to tie up to a place which doesn't have a strong current since can't lean too much on the wife and young kids to help dock the boat.

Here are some of the various places that have been discussed. Any thoughts on these or other options?

-Cat Cay: I've read that since this is a private island, it costs like $100 to tie up just to clear customs. Heard it is nice but that's a bit much.

-Weech's (North Bimini): The website which lists out the official ports of call says this marina was destroyed by the hurricane. Doesn't say which hurricane.

-Big Game Marina (North Bimini): some people reported they want a $50 tie up fee, and I've heard the current is pretty strong.

-Bimini Blue Water Marina (North Bimini): Read that the marina is tucked in a bit so out of the strong currents. A bit shallower. $20 tie-up which isn't bad.

-Bimini Sands Marina (South Bimini): Heard good things about this place. No tie up fee. I've read conflicting reports about if they have customs / immigration at the marina or if you have to take a taxi to the airport. I kind of like how this one sounds, anyone ever tried it?

-Chub: This would be great from a route standpoint (it's right along the way) but can't find out how much any tie-up fee would be for using the marina. I've read this is one of the most expensive marinas to stay overnight at (something like $4.50/foot) so I imagine they would want a pretty penny to tie up to clear customs.

Any other ones which might be good choices heading from Florida to Staniel Cay?

Thanks so much everyone, this is really helpful.
'Dubs
Old 20-11-2018, 08:30   #12

It's been a few years since I went down that way. I like clearing in at Bimini. Blue Water is easy enough to get into as long as you are aware of the shallow spot just north of their dock. (I've single handed my 44 with a 6 1/2 draft) From Bimini you can come on the bank at the cement ship and then head southeast to a line from Gun to Chub. The depth is close but I've never touched and you have an extra foot to spare. Avoid Nassau unless you need supplies as it is not particularly safe. I went west of New Providence then south to a cut to Highbourne and followed the islands south. Warderick Wells is worth a stop as is snorkeling through Rocky Dundas.
Enjoy!
CSYChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 09:19   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post
Hi everyone thanks for the great input.
I think I am okay on the route, and going to buy some tongs to feed the pigs. But still trying to figure out the quickest place to clear customs which wouldn't try to hit you with an absurd tie-up fee. It would also be helpful to tie up to a place which doesn't have a strong current since can't lean too much on the wife and young kids to help dock the boat.

Here are some of the various places that have been discussed. Any thoughts on these or other options?

-Cat Cay: I've read that since this is a private island, it costs like $100 to tie up just to clear customs. Heard it is nice but that's a bit much.

-Weech's (North Bimini): The website which lists out the official ports of call says this marina was destroyed by the hurricane. Doesn't say which hurricane.

-Big Game Marina (North Bimini): some people reported they want a $50 tie up fee, and I've heard the current is pretty strong.

-Bimini Blue Water Marina (North Bimini): Read that the marina is tucked in a bit so out of the strong currents. A bit shallower. $20 tie-up which isn't bad.

-Bimini Sands Marina (South Bimini): Heard good things about this place. No tie up fee. I've read conflicting reports about if they have customs / immigration at the marina or if you have to take a taxi to the airport. I kind of like how this one sounds, anyone ever tried it?

-Chub: This would be great from a route standpoint (it's right along the way) but can't find out how much any tie-up fee would be for using the marina. I've read this is one of the most expensive marinas to stay overnight at (something like $4.50/foot) so I imagine they would want a pretty penny to tie up to clear customs.

Any other ones which might be good choices heading from Florida to Staniel Cay?

Thanks so much everyone, this is really helpful.
'Dubs
Your best bet is to clear in at Nassau. I always go to Nassau Harbour Club marina. Customs and immigration will come to you there. Very quick and efficient. The staff at Harbour Club are very helpful and will help you into your slip, give you all the forms to fill out and call the officials. About $100 a day for your boat. If you don't want to pay for a slip, anchor and dink in to the Customs office. Just the skipper goes ashore with all the documents.
Old 20-11-2018, 09:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Your best bet is to clear in at Nassau. I always go to Nassau Harbour Club marina. Customs and immigration will come to you there. Very quick and efficient. The staff at Harbour Club are very helpful and will help you into your slip, give you all the forms to fill out and call the officials. About $100 a day for your boat. If you don't want to pay for a slip, anchor and dink in to the Customs office. Just the skipper goes ashore with all the documents.
I'll emphatically second this. Nassau is very easy to get into and out of, and Nassau Harbor Club Marina called customs for us. The officials met us there at that facility, right by the swimming pool. We were cleared into the country within 30 minutes of arriving. Also, not sure what the big hangup is on paying $50 or $100 to tie up somewhere to clear in. It's an extremely economically depressed country, and they are going to squeeze you for money everywhere you stop. Sailboat cruising is a sport in which you usually have to pay to play. I want to say that Nassau Harbor Club charged me about $1.75 per foot per day to tie up. They have a fence around the property and a diligent night watchman. For me, the convenience is worth the premium, which wasn't much to begin with.

As for the other poster who was questioning what caused the demise of multiple pigs there last year, it was liquor that was fed to them by tourists that killed them.
Old 20-11-2018, 09:37   #15

We just completed a trip from Charleston to George Town last week. Took 4 days to get to Shroud Cay and then island hopped the next 2 days to George Town.

We tied up in Bimini at the Bimini Sands Marina. It couldn't have gone smoother. Easy in and out at the marina with fuel available. They called ride to the airport for me (on a Sunday) for $10. Cleared customs and immigration in about 30 minutes. We only stopped to clear in and pick up fuel and where on our way again. The marina didn't charge us for the tie up while we were there. I hadn't been to Bimini in 12 years but I would definitely clear in there again going that way. From Bimini to the Pig Beach is an easy run across the bank and then down the west side of New Providence. We crossed the White Banks at night with no shallow water or coral head issues.
svhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs, route