Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2007, 09:55   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
I'm no sea lawyer, but I think as long as you don't go ashore or fish, you can probably stop at a sheltered anchorage and catch some rest. You might even be able to stop and buy fuel or take on water and still be legal.
Realistically, unless you tie up in a marina that requires a copy of your cruising permit, the chances of being apprehended by Bahamas is slim. Now if you are carrying 15 Haitians of a small sloop, the odds go way up.
In short, I think you can transit without buying a cruising permit. If you stop and go ashore or linger too long, then you're probably illegal.
Bad ideas all the way around, the penalties can be significant, you suppose
to hoist Q flag when entering Bahamanian waters, and only the Captain is
allowed on shore. You must report to customs immediately, clearing in at
the nearest port. You may not get caught, but if you do, don't whine later
about have your boat confiscated and have to pay a huge fine.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 14:11   #17

OK, I'm gonna straighten this out for you:

First of all, it's my understanding that the Bahamian $300 cruising permit (for boats over 35' LOA) is good for one year, EXCEPT that it's probably only good for 6 - 8 months depending on the whim of the customs officer, BUT this entitles you to leave and re-enter once in any given 90 day period during the life of the permit, EXCEPT that maybe it's only during the first 90 days of the life of the permit, BUT

Second of all, this can all be clarified by calling the following phone numbers and collecting consistently conflicting information:

242-326-4401
242-325-6551
242-325-2668
242-326-1211

Hope this helps, mon.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 14:27   #18

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 43
Ahhh...now it all makes sense.

If I arrive on the 4th day of an even month, during a rising tide, than the cruising permit is good for 1 year...but not if it's a leap year...in that case, I have to walk around in circles until I get a nosebleed, then the number of circles I make it though are the number of days I can stay...

Does that pretty much sum up the entrance/exit requirements? Glad we got that clear!

I think the key here is that the only certainty is that there is none...I'll plan on begin flexible and go with the flow.
dworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 16:27   #19

Ah, dworkman, you be exaggeratin’, ‘cuz you not on island time yet, mon. Is jus’ dat we doan know nuttin ‘bout no Nazaw t’ings. If da people be nize and smillin’, den we doan really care ‘bout dere silly little dog an’ da 300 lbs. a beer. An’ if dey wanna go away for awhile an’ cum back later, well .....we gotta charge ‘em sumpin, but Nazaw doan needa know nuttin ‘bout dat needer, mon.

Sincerely,

Outisland Customs Officer
(name withheld)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 06:25   #20

Boat: Angela M. Bayfield 32c
slomotion, I assume that the numbers you posted are for the customs office? I was hoping there is a way to clear in over the phone? The wife and I generally take two weeks off in May. The trip from Fl. west coast to Marathon and then to Cay Sal bank seems do able providing we can check in with out going north to Cat or Bimini?
Bill,
billangiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 06:54   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The way the various ports apply the regulations in the Bahamas is spotty at best. This is not peculiar to the Bahamas. Any foreign cruiser who has navigated through the hoops presented by the different authorities in the US will understand this. The "official" line is often not understood by those far from the center of authority.