Everyone's responses have been fantastic and extremely educational. It's been amazing how helpful sailors are to one another. Based on all input received I've made the below itinerary modifications.
Total Trip Time: 23 Days
Dec 17th - 22nd
- Lighthouse Point, FL to Nassau
- Doesn't matter how but I need to make it to Nassau
by the 22nd.
- Old man is tagging along with a flight back home out of Nassau. Question on this later.
Dec 23rd - 27th
- Dork around Nassau, may sail back to The Berries for a few nights, weather permitting, ending back in Nassau on 28th.
Dec 28th - Jan 3rd
- Nassau to Northern Most Exumas for NYE 2012
- Heading back to Nassau on 2nd or 3rd weather permitting
- Two couples are flying in from the States for New Years
- Ignoring any of the trip details, does anyone have a recommendation of a great place to spend NYE in the Northern Exumas, Nassau, or Berries?
Jan 4th - Jan 8th
- Nassau back to Ft. Lauderdale
- Doesn't matter how, but need to make it back to Ft. Lauderdale by Jan 8th
- Potential for time in Berries & Bimini
. Sail back could be leisurely or a sprint depending on future weather outlook.
- Will be prepared to leave boat in either Nassau, The Berries, or Bimini
should the weather act up and not allow a return trip to Ft. Lauderdale.
- Will catch one-way flight to Ft. Lauderdale on or before Jan 8th.
We've only been sailing since 2009 but were bit by the bug the first time we got on a boat.
We're in late 20's & early 30's so retirement
is not in the picture and this prevents two and three month trips at this time. Do any of you have advice on how we could best enjoy the boat in the Bahamas
without all of the potential weather issues or is that simply a part of sailing that has to be accepted (Seems the biggest is getting to/fro across the GS)? Is it common for people to take on a long-term mooring
and simply fly back and forth to better take advantage of the time you have with your boat? Would we be better off focusing on the Florida Keys
Also, how have you all discussed the inability to truly make definitive plan with friends and family
? Our parents have been out with us several times and are excited to start taking the week+ trips. Since this isn't the BVIs/USVIs and we no longer have a charter
boat it's not as easy and predictable as it is down there.
Once again, thanks for the education.