Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 14:15   #1

First Trip to Bahamas - Is There a Customs Fee for Importing Boat Repair Items ?

Hi sailors! I plan to cruise Bahamas this summer and work on the interior of my boat in my spare time. I wonder if bahamian customs may try to charge me a custom duties on all materials that I need to finish my boat. My boat is US documented and all materials and tools will stay on my boat. Do they actually inspect every cruising boat? Thanks for your help.
Sergey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 14:20   #2

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
list it as ship supplies and spare parts and you should be ok.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 14:29   #3

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Lots of discussion in the Bahamas about some being charged and some not being charged. In Georgetown, some cruisers are charged for everything they ship in. A mild revolt is happening there. As I understand the rules, if the part is for the propulsion of your boat it is duty free. In Staniel Cay I did not pay for a part for my engine, in Georgetown, people were charged. My suggestion is to bring as much material as you can with you. Also remember that the summer is hurricane season, so have a good "hidey hole" picked out just in case you need to use it.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 14:33   #4

Did not respond to the inspection question, I have never been boarded by customs officials. I normally check in at the West End if going to the Abacos or Chub if going to the Exumas. Never had a problem and the agents are very nice and helpful. Avoid Bimini, it is really a dump.
Old 21-03-2010, 15:04   #5

Thanks, Scott! Do I have to list everything on board? I saw a cruising permit form, there is no room to list parts, materials and supplies, only for guns and ammo?
I plan stay there for 4-6 months, so my list will be long, I know about recent changes for shipping parts to Bahamas, but I plan to take all materials with me on my boat? Thanks
Old 21-03-2010, 15:28   #6

Hi Scott, I plan to clear at west end too. Do I have to get a slip? Can I anchor outside and use my dingie to visit customs? Thanks
Old 21-03-2010, 15:39   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
No need to list the spare and bits and pieces.
I carry a large inventory of spares and never had a problem.

Cleared in at Bimini and Cat Cey 25 times and never been inspected, nobody cares, they just stamp the paperwork and collect yer money..
Old 21-03-2010, 16:03   #8

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
Hi Scott, I plan to clear at west end too. Do I have to get a slip? Can I anchor outside and use my dingie to visit customs? Thanks
I think you can actually pull up to the quay next to the customs/immigration house and clear in there. We took a slip, but I believe that I remember thinking that we would not have had to do that. Clearing in was easy with no hassles last November.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 16:09   #9

Thanks, Do I have to bring my big houseboat to a Customs dock at West End or I can use my dinghy to bring papers and money for cruising permit?
Old 21-03-2010, 16:09   #10

I agree that clearing will not be a problem at the West End, I think that Old Bahama Bay owns the dockage so you should call ahead and ask if you need to get a slip or not to clear. There really is no good anchorage in the area.
Old 21-03-2010, 17:59   #11

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
If I recall correctly, the quay alongside the customs house is pretty long, you could probably pull up just fine. Barring that, I don't think there would be a problem with the dinghy. No one wanted to board the boat, just fill out forms and buy the cruising permit. I'm not sure where you would anchor. It seems there might be room just outside the dock area but still inside the breakwaters where you could anchor very temporarily, but I can't recall exactly.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 18:39   #12

Thanks again, my houseboat is big - 64'x25', heavy and slow, it's more like a house than a boat so I don't want to bring her to the marina where I can scratch some fancy yachts so I will use my 25' boat for fishing and fun.
I would appreciate any advice on where on GBI I can anchor my houseboat to clear customs. Best regards
Old 22-03-2010, 10:30   #13

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
As others have said, tie up to the sea wall to clear customs. This does not obligate you to stay at the marina. If you do choose to stay at the marina, it is nice but expensive. I opted for a slip a few weeks ago when the weather got strong NW and it was $100 for a 30-foot boat, and that's without power.

I've anchored in both Cross Bay and the anchorage north of marina on the banks. Cross Bay is not a place you want to be if there is even a slight chance of west through NE wind, but I find it's fine in a gentle prevailing SE wind, having gentle surge in those conditions.

The anchorage north of the marina is on the banks and has a lot of current. The bottom is fairly scoured with elevated sections of dense sea grass. There are however, good sand spots to drop the hook in. Between the shallow water of the banks and the island it offers reasonable protection from most directions. Beware of being here when a strong northerly clocks from NW-N, as the waves will break on the bank where you need to enter and exit. (odds are if you just crossed the stream, there will not be these conditions) The deep water area is much, much larger (and deeper) than my garmin maps indicated. It's a short dingy ride to the beach by the beach bar/restaurant.

I prefer to do a day sail to arrive at WE, but if you do a night sail, you can clear in when they open and move on to Mangrove, Great Sale or Grand Cays/Double Breasted that day.

I think the issue with boat items and customs come when people have them mailed or bring them on the plane. I've never had or heard of customs giving people a hard time at check-in regarding boat parts. My experience is they mostly just want your cruising permit money, (which they've always wanted in cash.)
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 17:25   #14

Thank you very much Nautical62 for all details
Old 23-03-2010, 22:21   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Thank you very much Nautical62 for all details
YW

A few images I took at West End this year if you want a better feel for the place:

West End - artphotosforsale's Photos
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, customs