Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2019, 17:28   #61

Re: First Caribbean sail, Martinique vs BVI

my passages will be on last week of november and first week of december. What would be the expected prevailing wind and wave direction based on your experiences? Thank you all for all comments on this.

corsaircpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 19:28   #62

Boat: a sailing boat

Most likely something with E component. Less probably (but not zero) any other direction.

Statistics here:

(martinique, caravelle)

https://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/caravelle

You can get any other location by clicking the maps in upper left.

Cheers,
b.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 09:19   #63

Hi,
As the departure date comes closer some updates and questions. So I updated the cruise length to 13 days from 10, so we can go down to the Granadines and then sail back to Marin . Our plan is to do Marin-Marigot Bay, Marigot Bay-Blue Lagoon, then Blue Lagoon to Tobago Cays. Stick around in Tobago Cays for 3-4 days and then head back, To bago Cays-Bequia Bequia-Pitons , Pitons-Marin.

Please kindly see some questions below;
- On the Charts for Blue Lagoon , I saw the channel very shallow and also narrow. If we arrive just after sunset in Blue Lagoon is the entrance difficult to make
- Instead of Blue Lagoon should we just do Marigot Bay-Bequia and pick up a mooring ball?
- Safety in Tobago Cays or Pitons or Bequia? Our process will be to raise the dinghy at night and lock it and leave no valuables outside. If suspicious activity punch electronic alarm with sirens which we will bring us to charter boat. Beyond that, I am assuming this is something I donít need to do anything more, because well, we just canít do anything more ?

I truly appreciate the advice here so thank you in advance.
Old 14-11-2019, 12:11   #64

Hi Corsaircpt; really excited for your trip! I am planning something for April with some friends and one of our options is a return trip from St. Lucia to the Grenadines.

I have been to the Grenadines twice from Grenada but never your route so cannot provide advice from first hand experience. Most trip reports and itineraries that I have seen have the boats going from St. Lucia, skipping St. Vincent, and heading strait to Bequia but they usually do this after an overnight at the Pitons. You may want to consider stopping here on your way down but realize you will need to check-in to St Lucia from Martinique.

Also, on your way back you have the boat going to the pitons from blue lagoon, but don't forget that you have to check in to St. Lucia and I am not sure whether you can check in at the Pitons or Soufriere Bay. You May want to double check that.

Instead, you could do:
Day?: Marin- Marigot Bay,
Day?+1: Marigot bay - Pitons, - this would allow you to hike, enjoy the scenery more and check them out. Not sure you will feel like doing that after a long potentially up wind sail from St. Vincent. It would be a shame to miss out on one of the most beautiful vistas in St Lucia!
Day?+2: Pitons - Bequia and check into SVGs

Once in The Grenadines a must stop is Salt Whistle Bay, Mayreau. One of the most beautiful beaches and bays that I have been to. (and I have been to the BVIs many times..) 3-4 days in the TBCs may be too much as there are no bars, shops, etc. lots of boat boys selling fish, ice, t-shirts what ever. The only restaurants are the BBQ places that serve dinner (which are over priced but a good experience overall). If it were me I would spend two days in the TBCs and move on. Chatham Bay on Union Island is a also a great peaceful anchorage (watchout for the rum punches!...actually that is good advice for any island you go to as the rum is cheaper than the mix!). Also loved Petit St Vincent and you could (shhh!) sneak across to Petite Martinique for an after noon in your dingy without checking into Grenada.

On the way back I would leave for St. Lucia, Marigot Bay from Bequia and avoid Blue lagoon all together. I have not been to either but if I had a choice, from what I have heard, I would prefer to spend as much time in Bequia as possible!)

Also, be as friendly to the boat boys as you can, shake there hand/ fist bump, introduce yourself, offer them a beer or a coke, have a friendly chat ask them if they can recommend any place to eat or get a drink. This will serve you well and hopefully you will gain an ally and not an enemy by treating them with rudeness and fear.

Cheers!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 12:22   #65

We checked out at Rodney Bay....short sail to Pitons. Next morning, Pitons to Bequia...easy. Completely passed St Vincent both directions.

On the way back we sailed Bequia to Marigot.....long day but very doable.

Everything else is up to you.
Old 14-11-2019, 13:24   #66

Thank you for this alternate plan that avoids Blue Lagoon entrance altogether. Is the advantage here that we get to see Pitons, while avoiding St Vincent altogether, or also an advantage because you can checkout at Rodney Bay?

As an overnight stay how are Rodney Bay and Pitons if we pick up Buoys ? What swell directions would they be protected and which directions exposed ?

Thank you
Old 14-11-2019, 13:47   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsaircpt View Post
Thank you for this alternate plan that avoids Blue Lagoon entrance altogether. Is the advantage here that we get to see Pitons, while avoiding St Vincent altogether, or also an advantage because you can checkout at Rodney Bay?

As an overnight stay how are Rodney Bay and Pitons if we pick up Buoys ? What swell directions would they be protected and which directions exposed ?

Thank you
Can't comment on swells but usually on the lee side of the island you should be good. not sure what happens if there is a north swell though especially towards the north of the island.

In terms of advantages, It knocks off about 8NM from your sail plus easier to get out of the pitons off of a ball at first light than Marigot bay. If you stop in at Marigot bay you can check in the day you arrive and check out the next day before you leave for the Pitons. You wouldn't need to check in/out in Rodney bay as Marigot would fulfill your needs. You should have 24 hours after checking out before you have to leave as well.

TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, Caribbean, Martinique, rib, sail