Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 18:14   #1

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
First Bahamas Entrance Advice

We're in Coconut Grove (Miami) staging to head across to the Bahamas -- we have a 37' Chris Craft Apache (sailboat.....no really....) and draw 5'9"

Our plan is to move across to just outside of No Name Harbor tomorrow afternoon and leave around 4am on Thursday and head for North Rock, make as far across the banks as we can reasonably -- then anchor for the night and continue on to Chub to clear in.

Thurs am is forecast to be 8-12 out of the East South East -- 12-17 South East on Friday -- so basically two days of motoring into the wind...

would we be better off heading to Bimini and clearing in there and waiting for a south or north wind to go across the banks? The plan is to get to the Exumas so I'd like to make as much easting as possible now.

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on Bimini -- good place to clear in, bad place to clear in, relatively well marked entrance, not so easy entrance, etc.

Thanks!

Forecasts:

Marine Forecast : Weather Underground
PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:16   #2

Boat: Boatless
Cleared in in Bimini a dozen times. Only problem is that customs want you on a dock so just tie up at one of the old marinas near immigrations.

I draw 8ft so I try and stay off the banks and get to Nassau by going north of Gt Isaac.

Winds look fine for crossing banks on Saturday...get to Bimini and work it out while having a beer there.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:27   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Go for North Rock and Nassau. If it gets too rough after the NW Channel light go and hide behind Frazers Hog Cay (same island as Chubb). We're in South Beach and will head down to Hurricane harbor later in the week. The Thursday window doesn't look too good so we'll wait another few days. The window two weeks ago was excellent (WSW 15) we sailed to North Rock from Biscayne Channel but had to sail back because of bad fuel. Ended up at Ft. Lauderdale. Got the fuel polished and now we're in Miami waiting again.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
At this time of the year I would use the cold fronts to get to the Exuma's, no need to motor. Regardless if you are just passing though I would not check in until Nassau. Chub will just cost you extra money and give you nothing in return. You can anchor at Chub with out checking in waiting on the wind to clock to the west and then north with the next front.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Everybody has a favorite entry. Ours is to leave No Name early in the morning and sail to North Rock, then over night across the banks and into Nassau to check in.

Some cruisers don't like Nassau, but you don't spend most of your first week getting there. The next day, you are in the Exumas. Weather permitting of course.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas