Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 18:14   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hilton Head Island, SC
Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
Posts: 182
First Bahamas Entrance Advice

We're in Coconut Grove (Miami) staging to head across to the Bahamas -- we have a 37' Chris Craft Apache ( really....) and draw 5'9"

Our plan is to move across to just outside of No Name Harbor tomorrow afternoon and leave around 4am on Thursday and head for North Rock, make as far across the banks as we can reasonably -- then anchor for the night and continue on to Chub to clear in.

Thurs am is forecast to be 8-12 out of the East South East -- 12-17 South East on Friday -- so basically two days of motoring into the wind...

would we be better off heading to Bimini and clearing in there and waiting for a south or north wind to go across the banks? The plan is to get to the Exumas so I'd like to make as much easting as possible now.

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports on Bimini -- good place to clear in, bad place to clear in, relatively well marked entrance, not so easy entrance, etc.



Marine Forecast : Weather Underground
PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers

brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:16   #2
Registered User
s/v Moondancer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Japan heading for Alaska
Boat: Tayana 55
Posts: 1,347
Cleared in in Bimini a dozen times. Only problem is that customs want you on a dock so just tie up at one of the old marinas near immigrations.

I draw 8ft so I try and stay off the banks and get to Nassau by going north of Gt Isaac.

Winds look fine for crossing banks on Saturday...get to Bimini and work it out while having a beer there.


"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:27   #3
Senior Cruiser
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,279
Go for North Rock and Nassau. If it gets too rough after the NW Channel light go and hide behind Frazers Hog Cay (same island as Chubb). We're in South Beach and will head down to Hurricane harbor later in the week. The Thursday window doesn't look too good so we'll wait another few days. The window two weeks ago was excellent (WSW 15) we sailed to North Rock from Biscayne Channel but had to sail back because of bad fuel. Ended up at Ft. Lauderdale. Got the fuel polished and now we're in Miami waiting again.
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:01   #4
Registered User
Dave852's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tavernier, Fl
Boat: Outremer 50
Posts: 664
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
At this time of the year I would use the cold fronts to get to the Exuma's, no need to motor. Regardless if you are just passing though I would not check in until Nassau. Chub will just cost you extra money and give you nothing in return. You can anchor at Chub with out checking in waiting on the wind to clock to the west and then north with the next front.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21   #5
Registered User
Sunspot Baby's Avatar

Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Bern, NC
Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Posts: 1,521
Images: 14
Everybody has a favorite entry. Ours is to leave No Name early in the morning and sail to North Rock, then over night across the banks and into Nassau to check in.

Some cruisers don't like Nassau, but you don't spend most of your first week getting there. The next day, you are in the Exumas. Weather permitting of course.

She took my address and my name
Put my credit to shame
Sunspot Baby, sure had a real good time
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savannah Direct to Bahamas - Route Advice ? JCBP Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 09-03-2015 03:57
Bahamas Anchor Advice tulsatbird Anchoring & Mooring 34 11-02-2011 10:38
Route Advice Bahamas to USVIs flysci Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 28-09-2010 19:45
Sound Advice: Bahamas to Hawaii seancrowne Pacific & South China Sea 2 19-11-2008 17:38

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.