Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2010, 13:53   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford sloan View Post
We just got back from there this past Sunday. My overall impression is it was a long way to go for run of the mill island atmosphere. Curacao is dirty, the water is polluted, natives only interest is seperating the tourist from his money. Bonaire is better water with fair diving but generaly over rated. Once you get off the tourist path the dirt and squalor supercedes the charm. Aruba was not visited but it didn't have any apeal for me after the other two. There's too many other great places that are better and closer.
Clif

agreed . . . if you are going to panama (or there abouts) then they are on the way and worth a stop, but its a real slog upwind if you have to get back to the eastern carrib from the ABC. The diving in Bonaire was spectacular 20 years ago . . . but has been degraded over time to just very nice, like almost every popular.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:04   #17

Another favorite spot, but not a deserted beach is the harbor at Ile de Saintes. Jerome would sing opera when he delivered bread in the morning. Short hike to a gorgeous beach and then a great ice cream spot on the way back.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to caribcruiser
anywhere in the grenadines?
caribcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25   #19
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribcruiser View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Its a long way from me so I will have to rethink if it is really worth it.
It's not! Unless you are planning to continue on to Panama. Getting back upwind from the ABCs isn't possible for many boats.

And, be happy: there are literally hundreds of wonderful anchorages in the Eastern Caribbean, beginning with Puerto Rico, the Spanish Virgins, the USVI and BVI, and on thru the Leewards and Windwards.

Gotta agree with Zanshin that North sound is a wonderful playground: reefs to snorkle on, places to both anchor and moor if you wish, good restaurants, great scenery, lots going on all the time. My favorite anchorage of all in the BVI is behind Saba Rock. Always a wind to keep you cool, and lots to see. You can dingy thru the passage between Saba Rock and Virgin Gorda (the Bitter End) out into the sound to lots of great places, including the fringing reef. Sunday brunch at the Bitter End is always fun, and sundowners at Saba Rock is great....even the new Saba Rock restaurant which is a far cry from Bert Kilbride's old hangout.

White Bay in Jost is nice, too, and quite beautiful. However, in recent years cruise ships have taken to anchoring outside the reef and disgorging hundreds of passengers on the beach.

Dozens of other places as well. Suggest you get hold of one of the several very good cruising books.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I'm (still) in the North Sound. With the Christmas winds howling I realized that I've got enough work aboard that I don't need to leave. I'm anchored right off Prickly Pear close to Saba and my monohull is sitting solidly despite gusty 25 knot winds (which I have to admit that I like since my batteries are being charged by the windgen).

Here are 3 North Sound pictures from yesterday:

Michael Beans at Leverick......Yachts in the Sound.............Biras Creek
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59   #21

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Lameshur Bay on the south side of St. John's in the USVI. You have to take a National Park Service mooring, and there's a maximum stay. But pretty and not many people, at least later in the season.

From there you can hike over or boat over for a lunch in Reef Bay (not an overnight anchorage). Prettiest place in the Virgin Islands, I think.

Hawksbill Cay in the Exumas Land and Sea Park. Or, more people but more beautiful: Warderick Wells Cay. Again, they're park moorings and a limited stay.

June and July and the times to visit the Caribbean and Bahamas. The crowds are gone.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:16   #22

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
Admiralty Bay Bequia, Tobago Keys, Mayreau, Canauon, Union,Carriacou...
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombats View Post
Admiralty Bay Bequia, Tobago Keys, Mayreau, Canauon, Union,Carriacou...
++++1 for zoombats

Chathum on Union is incredible

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:37   #24
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I personally like islands and beaches that have hills on them. I also like to have other islands close by. To me, a sunset is best when it is reflected off another island. I also like to be able to sail around to other beaches. So, for me, the BVI's are the best, Puerto Rico and Spanish Virgins are right up there. I haven't been to the Windwards except on a cruise ship. North Sound - perfect as it fits your requirements - safe, easy anchoring, and great beaches (near by).

You asked about Anguilla. It is expensive but very nice. Shoal Bay East is excellent. You can spend a month sailing around the island to it's different bays. The problem is that the only "Authorized' bays in which to overnight are Road Bay and Crokus. So, it's a little hastle to get each night.

I can't recommend Orient Bay on St. Martin anymore due to theives waiting to rob you. Anse Marcel is nice, easy to get to Grand Case (theives there also), and fairly protected. But, in general, if you don't speak French, forget St. Martin and St. Barts for anything longer then a week.

If your getting your boat in St. Maarten, you should work your way West for the season and end up in Puerto Rico. Have fun!!
Old 03-01-2011, 16:49   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm (still) in the North Sound. With the Christmas winds howling I realized that I've got enough work aboard that I don't need to leave.
I got my ass blasted off this morning coming from Joist Van Dyke to Tortola towing the new dinghy. The dill in the US coast guiard on the vhf weather said it would be 14 to 19 knots. He must have shoved the other 10 knots up his butt..........

I am staying here in the pub till the wind stops.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 17:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I am staying here in the pub till the wind stops.
I like the way you think !
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Caribbean