Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2018, 09:03   #16

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Exumas Itinerary Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
It's funny that you found the groceries good at Staniel as I found them woefully poor. Same for George Town.

The only grocery I visited that had a selection of fruit, vegetables, cheese, and other actual good tasting food items was the Fresh Market in Nassau. And that was hugely expensive, but at least we enjoyed it.

I think a lot of it has to do with how recently the supply boat has come in. I found good selection at Exuma Markets in George Town the time I was there. As for Fresh Market in Nassau, that is by far the best grocery store I have ever visited anywhere in the Bahamas. Yes, it is expensive, but good lord they have a great selection of good quality food and other items.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:10   #17

Boat: none yet :(

Thanks everyone for your tips - much appreciated.

Last time I've been to Nassau I remember was pricey but now these online groceries look even more pricier.

https://www.instagopher.com/
https://www.nassaugrocery.com/

Any advice / suggestion for advance provisioning? Or still the best way is to go to the local supermarket and get everything there?

Any tips for fishing on the Sound at this time of the year (Feb)?

Cheers!
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:44   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I just came back from a quick trip to Freeport and noticed a lot of coolers being loaded in checked luggage. I'm assuming that means it's not a problem to bring food - can someone confirm this? If so, the things I'd bring are quality cuts of beef and good cheese. These are what seem to really be expensive. Chicken - cheap.

This video has me super stoked for Dorado fishing:
Old 15-12-2018, 07:43   #19

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus69 View Post
Thanks everyone for your tips - much appreciated.

Last time I've been to Nassau I remember was pricey but now these online groceries look even more pricier.

https://www.instagopher.com/
https://www.nassaugrocery.com/

Any advice / suggestion for advance provisioning? Or still the best way is to go to the local supermarket and get everything there?

Any tips for fishing on the Sound at this time of the year (Feb)?

Cheers!
Invictus,
Provisioning in Nassau is going to be twice as expensive as it would be stateside, but that is the nature of cruising in the Bahamas. I found the best place in Nassau to get groceries is here: Solomon's Fresh Market - "Taste the Difference"
Fantastic selection of meats, cheeses, fish, etc. Yes, expensive, but good.

As for fishing in Exuma Sound, you should have access to Mahi, Skipjack Tuna and Wahoo for sure. I remember a saying that went "yellow and green, mahi machine" and "red and black, wahoo attack." This refers to colors of lures/skirts. I had very good luck with yellow/green squid skirts for mahi.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 08:05   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=fish.JPG Views: 74 Size: 100.8 KB ID: 182261" style="margin: 2px" />

Good fishing out in Exuma Sound. Stay in Normans Cay (good anchorage but strong tidal current) and deke out into the Sound as weather permits. I like cedar plugs. You know if the mahi are running by listening to the sportfishers who hang out at Highborne Cay. Normans is ideal for fishing as you're out in the Sound in 10 minutes.

You can see the cedar plugs I use in the fish's mouth.

Tags
exumas