Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 13:18   #1

Arrow Exumas 2017 PetePetePete & Family!...

I have done so much reading... and then more reading...

320 EC World Cat - Two Adults - Two Children (6 & 8)... Past experience is running from Deerfield Beach FL to Fort Myers (Lake O, Ditch, etc.) as well as Deerfield Beach to Ft. Jefferson (Tortugas). Generator, AC, Ability to ice. Updated charts (Garmin G2 Vision and Raymarine Navionics +) and a Delorme Sat. Tracker... Also have iPad with Active Captain, etc.

Caves, Pigs, Iguanas, Deans Hole (Maybe), Snorkeling, Lazy Beach Days, get a local to go spearing with...

I've read so many different threads and blogs... sorting through things... I just changed wireless carries from MetroPCS to T-Mobile, and it appears that they are pretty good in many of the islands that we are looking at.

So far we are leaving from Hillsboro Inlet (Pompano Beach, FL) and heading to Paradise Island (Atlantis Marina) for 2 nights. (Kids are begging to try the water park, and it looks like a logical place to do Customs, fuel, etc. (although we may stop in Bimini for fuel depending on circumstances). After the 2 nights in Paradise Island, there are NO PLANS. And this is 100% intentional. We have plans as far as fuel, etc. But we have no set dockage or anchorage plans. We will maintain a list of anchorages and/or dockage based on our location, but we really want to just enjoy the time and do as we please. Our only limitation is fresh water and fuel. We can carry around 40 gal of fresh water in our tank (not *exactly* potable)... and will have upward of 10 gal. of potable at any given time. This does not include our ice bottle system (Engel Freezer).

So... now that you have a decent idea of our plans. Let's hear it. The good, the bad, the ugly... My goal with this post is get some ideas as to "don't miss this" items... and still fit with our laid back no plans ideal.

Thanks!
Pete
Old 16-03-2017, 13:30   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Exumas 2017 PetePetePete & Family!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
...My goat...
Pete #1, I'd suggest leaving the goat at home (or, better yet, the farm).

Pete #2, I haven't actually been to the Exumas, but it sounds like you've done your research. Stop worrying. Start having fun. It will be a blast no matter how many "must-dos" you actually do or don't do.

Pete #3, is it confusing with so many Pete's on the same boat?

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 06:34   #3

Boat: Oyster 55

In case you haven't left yet thought I would say a few things.
Would never go to the Exumas without the Explorer Chart Kit!!!

Be sure you know how to interpret visual water depth......sun high above or behind you ....never in front.
Currents can be strong. So be aware even when you are at anchor.

Let weather be your guide to were you go don't push it in bad weather.
Dean's hole is a long way from Atlantis.
You never stated how long you have which is obviously a very large factor even with a World Cat (love the boat).

Personally I would advise anyone to skip Atlantis and get down to the Exuma's where you and your family can experience nature at it's finest. I have cleared in Atlantis in the past but only when we could not inter the Albacos because of weather. Save the water slides for Disneyland and expose your children to natural beauty. It's crowded, with overpriced mediocre food. Last but not least its all artificial. If you are looking for a safe marina in Nassau check out Palm Cay. Also they have a shuttle that can take you to Atlantis if this is something you have to do.

Don't think you will be disappointed the further south you go.
Sorry to offend any Atlantis aficionados.

However you don't need to follow anyones specific itinerary. You have done the reading, explore on your own, it's hard to find a bad place in the Exumas. Thats part of the fun.
You will find fuel and fresh water down the Exuma chain just "know before you go".

I wish you a very happy adventure, it may very well change your life.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 07:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
In case you haven't left yet thought I would say a few things.
Would never go to the Exumas without the Explorer Chart Kit!!!

Be sure you know how to interpret visual water depth......sun high above or behind you ....never in front.
Currents can be strong. So be aware even when you are at anchor.

Let weather be your guide to were you go don't push it in bad weather.
Dean's hole is a long way from Atlantis.
You never stated how long you have which is obviously a very large factor even with a World Cat (love the boat).

Personally I would advise anyone to skip Atlantis and get down to the Exuma's where you and your family can experience nature at it's finest. I have cleared in Atlantis in the past but only when we could not inter the Albacos because of weather. Save the water slides for Disneyland and expose your children to natural beauty. It's crowded, with overpriced mediocre food. Last but not least its all artificial. If you are looking for a safe marina in Nassau check out Palm Cay. Also they have a shuttle that can take you to Atlantis if this is something you have to do.

Don't think you will be disappointed the further south you go.
Sorry to offend any Atlantis aficionados.

However you don't need to follow anyones specific itinerary. You have done the reading, explore on your own, it's hard to find a bad place in the Exumas. Thats part of the fun.
You will find fuel and fresh water down the Exuma chain just "know before you go".

I wish you a very happy adventure, it may very well change your life.
Thanks!... no, we haven't gone yet. we're going in the summer...

We thought about staying at other marinas @ Paradise Island... but if you stay at Atlantis, then the waterpark, which is crazy expensive, is included... so it was a no-brainer. It will pretty much be the only two nights of any kind of that sort of thing... it isn't at the top of my list either, but... we can one-and-done it.

Total trip will be 14 days, however we are only "looking" at 12 days. We are want to keep the other 2 days for "what if" time. If nothing goes sideways... great, we found 2 extra days...

The #1 objective, aside from Atlantis, is that we do not have any "booked" plans. I have already ordered the Explorer book for the Exumas... but not the other two (I believe there are three total for the Bahamas)... Once I can look over the Exumas one, I'll see if it is what I'm after. I looked at it quickly... but want to cuddle up with it. LOL.

My biggest thing right now is just plotting a course and seeing the route I wan to take. We will be leaving from Hillsboro Inlet... my *hope* is to make it right to Atlantis and do our customs work there. Originally I had thought about stopping in Bimini... I hold 260 gal. of fuel (not 240 like I thought LOL).. and the distance from dock to Atlantis would leave me with over 100 gal of fuel. Which I feel is a perfectly safe reserve.

I do keep changing the "must see" list... LOL... but that's another story - unless you want to add or mention some more.
Old 26-03-2017, 09:45   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If you stop in Bimini you must clear customs in Bimini. Technically you are required by the Bahamas government to clear in as soon as possible after entering Bahamian waters, but they've never been upset with me clearing in at Nassau as long as I hadn't gone ashore anywhere else.

Navionics charts have a bad reputation with experienced Bahamas cruisers. The Explorer charts are the gold standard. I also highly recommend Steve Pavilidis' Exuma Guide.

Why fight the Gulf Stream by leaving from Hillsboro? I usually leave from the Stiltsville area south of Key Biscayne, makes for an easier crossing. Lots of sailors depart from even farther south.

Enjoy.

Tags
exumas, family