Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30   #196

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Extortion in Nassau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
It happened here in Bermuda. I worked at preparing a very large Bruce King boat that suffered a major engine fire, for tow. A large displacement-type hull came in here, cleared Customs,and left with the tow back to the East coast. Bit of difference between Nassau and Bermuda.

Yes but would the insurance company have sent a tow boat from the US to Bermuda for an engine problem that could be fixed in Bermuda? That is the point of the earlier comment of what would have happened if they had an engine problem in Bermuda. I think the whole "problem" could have been avoided if the OP had had the engine fixed in Nassau where there is an excellent Yanmar dealer. Apparently the OP wished to make an insurance claim and that would have been facilitated if the boat had been in the US.

The attitude of the OP is clear from her choice of header " Extortion in Nassau". Clearly this is incorrect and inflammatory.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31   #197

It's really not the Director of Immigration's job to give you a list of tow companies.

Would an immigration or customs official in the U.S. help you find a towing company?

I don't think so.

So the words "extortion" and "hostage" don't belong in this story.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04   #198

Boat: Skookum 53'

It is not unusual for local businesses to have a relationship with their own countries federal operations, that way if the government official is asked for a reference to a local vendor, he can be helpful and provide a name. The USCG has a relationship with the commercial towing companies in an area, so that the needs of the consumer can be met, it is not nefarious or corrupt, unless carried to the extreme, usually it is not. No evidence of that here.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:03   #199

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Its been my experience that arguing with a local business owner over something never ever works anyhow - even if they may be in the wrong. In fact, It just makes things worse. Just politely say "no thank you, I wasn't aware of xyz" let them hiss between their teeth, kindly explain your situation, and then find some other way to get it done if an accommodation cannot be found.

Yes, it does sometimes feel like extortion and yes it does sometimes feel like you are being held hostage to another's whims but that is a price we pay for paradise.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36   #200

Boat: Skookum 53'

You think you are being extorted there, try not paying your taxes in the USA. The IRS gives a whole new meaning to pressure.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:43   #201

Boat: Cal 2-27

"You think you are being extorted there, try not paying your taxes in the USA. The IRS gives a whole new meaning to pressure."

in the US, when you pay your home off, you still don't own it free and clear really. You pay rent (called property tax)to the Gov every year and if you stop, they take it back.
Old 11-04-2013, 13:41   #202

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"In your shoes I would simply cross the Bahamas off your list of places to visit for the next couple of decades. if not a bit longer ." David Old Jersey

There is both sarcasm and truth in the above statement since there will always be the question of fair treatment (whether official or unofficial) if Three Sheets returns to the Bahamas. You cannot compare a small island nation where word travels quickly on the grapevine to the US, Canada, Europe, Oz, or Nz where with greater populations and distances one has more anonymity. This is not a negative remark, but rather one which understands the workings of human nature. The OP, although lauding those in the marina, has certainly casted negative aspersions on Basra, the government and the tow company. These assertions/intimations cannot be erased. When we travel to foreign countries, we carry with us the legacy of past cruisers and create lasting impressions in our wake. And so, we as a group, are judged. We all have the responsibility to be good ambassadors for our countries, when abroad, since the reverberations of our actions do have far reaching consequences. I think, in all fairness to Three Sheets, that if they had better prepared themselves for the many possible mishaps and contingencies so common even with experienced cruisers that they would have handled this situation differently and avoided this mess. The old adage that "Experience is the best teacher" certainly applies here.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 14:24   #203
Armchair Bucketeer

I wasn't aiming at sarcasm - was just trying to use some humour whilst making a real suggestion.........and too lazy to type your (better / fuller) explanation .

Islands (and Islanders ) can be funny things .

On the "Experience is the best teacher" angle, IME not everyone good at learning the lessons offered. My suspicion is that's the case here..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 16:36   #204
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Just as a bigger question, exactly what local business would towboatus be competing with, the tow was presumably ordered and would have been paid for stateside. No commercial transaction was taking place in the Bahamas. Foreign Vessels come to port every day to pick up freight or tow things away.

No one in this thread seems to have got to the bottom of just what law prevent towboatus from collecting its tow.

If would be of course very different , if towboatus was touting the Bahamas for business.

It snarks of " local firm brings pressure on port captain" , who obliges.

Dave
Old 11-04-2013, 17:16   #205
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Extortion in Nassau

In some places the Port Captain is a powerful force..
I had a bad deal in Villamoura from a sailmaker in the port who tried to get away with a really crap job.. had a word with the Port Captain and showed him the sail. He summoned the sailmaker to his office and told him if matters were not resolved to his satisfaction he be out... and would not work in another port in Portugal again..
Pago Pago's the same... you do nothing in port without his say so.. its a low profile till crossed..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:52   #206

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I agree that its been an educational thread and should be required reading for the newbies. I only hope that it isn't closed until Three Sheets can report on the outcome with the Yanmar warranty and the insurance company. I hope that they can report good news, but I think the odds are against them.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nassau