Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 09:57   #1

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Eleuthera from the North

I'm planning to cross from the Abacos to Eleuthera this winter. What's a good place to anchor on arrival? I've never been there. The cruising guide recommends the area south of Royal I., but I remember reading here somewhere that there is construction going on and people are being chased off. Does anyone have any current recommendations? (Good chance I'll be coming down on a north wind).

Also, any recommendations on places to go, anchorages, etc. on Eleuthera, Cat, and Jumentos are appreciated!
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:45   #2

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
in eleuthra don't miss rock sound...great people, great stores ( real live grocery/hdwre, etc)...if julian the baker is still there, grab some goodies and he makes killer picnic sandwiches---go have one at the blue hole in town..full svce town (better than george town)...governor's harbor is cool, too---you can anchor off cupid cay and dink to the beach...

in cat island anchor in front of the hermitage and climb to the highest pt in bahamas (400 ft)...if it's a clear full moon do it at night for a moon rise off the ocean--this is in new bight..

jumentos anchorages pretty much suck due to swells and i'd recommend going in the summer w/ more settled weather...

either way, have a ball---the out islands beats all others hand down..
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:47   #3

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Royal Island is a good place to anchor

I agree about the out islands.

The answer to the OP's question is yes. Royal Island is a good place to anchor, and is being developed. The developer does not want people to go ashore, but can not (has not been allowed) to keep boats from anchoring in the harbour.

WRT the approach, it is pretty streight fwd, just don't try to head back north too early. IIRC, I as almost faked out by not trusting the coordiantes given in the Explorer chart... but thankfully stuck with them. The Explorer chart books for the Out Islands are right on, and I can not recommend them highly enough.

It is a good place to rest after the passage, and a good stop on your way to Spanish Wells... the next logical destination and your first good place to go ashore in Eleuthera.

Fair Winds,
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:57   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Last I heard the development at Royal was stopped like a few other developments in the Bahamas due to the downturn in the economy. That was in May 2009. I checked their website and they are no longer on the web. My boat used to be in their brochure on the website. They have never chased people off. They just asked that you not anchor in a direct line from the entrance to their dock so that their supply boat could get in.

Here's a picture of the supply boat coming through the narrow entrance at Royal.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:43   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I'm planning to cross from the Abacos to Eleuthera this winter. What's a good place to anchor on arrival? I've never been there. The cruising guide recommends the area south of Royal I., but I remember reading here somewhere that there is construction going on and people are being chased off. Does anyone have any current recommendations? (Good chance I'll be coming down on a north wind).
If you are coming down on North wind, south of Royal I is good, if on a East wind, then Meeks patch is good spot. They won't let you go ashore, too bad, because its a nice place to walk around.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	royal_is2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	11551  
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 13:04   #6

Thanks to all who answered so far. Very helpful and I think I have my primary question answered. I'm still up for any other Eleuthera, Cat, or Jumentos reports care to share.
Old 05-12-2009, 19:04   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I love Meeks Patch - about half way down the west side in east winds and about a third of the way down on the east side in west winds. You can dinghy ashore on Meeks Patch and there is a series of three islands southwards with Explorer Chart anchorages at each on the west side.
- - I never use Current Cut heading south as my boat is too large and the turns too difficult in the current. Instead I head southwest to Fleming Channel which is wide open and very easy. Then I head east and south down to Governors Harbor - one of my favorite stops. Fabulous little town built on a hill. Used to be a major bed and breakfast tourist place until the cruise ships stole all their customers.
- - Don't miss Rock Sound with another wonderful little village town. Just be careful to follow the Explorer Charts to get into Rock Sound and out again.
- - From Rock Sound I usually cross southwestward to the Exumas and work my way south to near Little Farmers and then cross over to New Bight, Cat Island. The is the famous Hermitage at New Bight Cat Island which is a "don't miss it" opportuntity to see something unique and very different. If there is a blow head south from New Bight to Old Bight or Joe's Sound and anchor there.
- - From New/Old Bight is is south down to Calabash on Long Island and work your way down to Thompson Bay/ Salt Pond for some seriously unusual things. Be sure to get dinner with other boaters at Thompson Bay Inn. It is an experience and a half.
- - To get to the Jumentos head west to the Comer Channel on the Explorer Charts. I have not seen less than 7 feet of water in the channel although it does get a little tight in a place or two. After exiting the west end of the Comer Channel there is plenty of water all the way down the Jumentos. Few folks go there so you will have some unique experiences.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
New Bight, from the Hermitage.

The Hermitage, New Bight, Cat Island. (Highest point in the Bahamas)

Old 06-12-2009, 12:32   #9

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Royal Is. is a natural stop after a trip down from Little Harbor Abaco. There ia a guard at the dock on the western side of this beautiful harbor and you will be asked to not land. However there is some ruins of an old estate just north of the enterance and they do not appear to mind if you land there as long as you do not wander too far. Last year after removing most of the natural folieage to make way for the golf course the project came to a halt. They still maintain a guard at the dock but no activity. (lots of lost jobs) Those of you who have not been there in a few years will be stunned to see the bare fairways sitting there like open wounds. Going into Spanish Wells the next day is also a nice stop. There is a marina and some moorings. Check out the guides or Explorer charts for details.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 20:39   #10

Great advice everyone - thanks again for your comments. Can't wait to visit these places you all suggest. The Hermitage is very much on my list!
Old 09-12-2009, 20:36   #11

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
As you come into Eleuthera, Spanish Wells is very nice, but stay clear of the Devil's Backbone. Unless the sun is directly overhead, you cannot navigate that sucker. Harbor Island is more or less on Eleuthera, but if I were you I'd hitch there once on Eleuthera, otherwise you have to sail all the way back around to hide on the west side, in the good weather down the 90 miles of its length. Rock sound is dope, and so is Governor's harbor. I liked it so much, I just bought a lot there in Rainbow bay (4 miles north or so). I'll be there after Christmas, probably on and off for a good while camping out, clearing my lot and building. My wife will be back in the states so I'll be glad for a visitor. I'll have a vehicle and will be ready to show you around the island a bit if you would like, and make you a meal. Get in touch, if you are interested. livingstonebuilding@yahoo.com

Take care,
Jack
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote