Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 18:11   #1

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Eleuthera Charter Advice

We have 3 couples / 3 airplanes, planning to do some flying and sailing - we have a 47' Leopard reserved out of Rock Sound for 8 days early May. Any advice for a sailing itinerary? We'll be sleeping aboard the night before, so (hopefully) we'll be able to depart on day 1.....

Our home sailing is the Pamlico Sound in NC.... but numerous charters to BVI and St. Martin on catamarans with this group. We plan to fly to St. Lucie or Ft. Pierce, then across directly to Rock Sound. We'll be able to carry a lot of "stuff" since we have only 2 folks in each airplane - so we'll bring snorkel gear and coolers. We're equally happy with "big sails", isolated anchorages and hopping from beach bar-to-beach bar. Probably the biggest sail we've done with this group was from St. Barts to St. Kitts in 10' seas and 25+ winds on a 43' cat.

I know that 8 days is too short - but if that's all you have, what would you do with it?

(We'll be getting back in the airplanes and flying south for another week after the sailing, so we'll get to see more of the islands!)
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 18:14   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Eleutera Charter Advice

Shoot across to the Exumas.
Old 06-12-2011, 19:16   #3

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

Oops - I DO know how to spell sometimes! Eleuthera, of course......
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:17   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Rock Sound is one of my favorite stops on Eleuthera - as is Governor's Harbor. And you can also continue north to Spanish Wells before returning south back to Rock Sound.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Beautiful water in the Exumas – it's close and you'd have time to island hop...so many nice spots. May should be really nice.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49   #6

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

good fishing on the way to the exumas too----shroud cay/the park/pipe creek and staniel---woooohoooo..
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 20:29   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Karen -

Depending on how far afield you want to go (and depending on the weather), visiting Cat Island and hiking up to the Hermitage is one of the neater experiences in the Bahamas. Take a bottle of wine (and a flashlight for the return trip) and watch the sun set behind your boat anchored in New Bight.

Another farther afield experience would be visiting Conception Island, which is a Bahamian National Park with zero residents. Conception is a no take island on shore, but last I heard fishing is allowed. There is also an extensive reef for diving. Might eat up too much of your time though.

The Exuma chain would give you a longer sail there and back, as well as short sails, isolated anchorages, snorkeling, and some fun bars/restaurants. Most of the large crowd of yachties should have left Georgetown by the time you get there.

Enjoy! I hope to arrive there by the 1st of April for the regatta in Georgetown.

FSMike

PS - I hope your charter boat has a good dink and motor.
Old 15-12-2011, 14:02   #8

Boat: Hobie Cat
Re: Eleuthera Charter Advice

FYI.....We cruised the Exumas this year for the first time and it was absolutely incredible. Itinerary was Allen's Cay (iguana population) anchored at Highborne, Shroud (dinghyed the mangroves with lunch on the beach and hike to Camp Driftwood), Warderick Wells (Sea & Land park for hiking up BooBoo Hill) and topped it off with our final anchorage at Norman's Cay (Restaurant there, but definately make reservations by 3pm).
twalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 17:18   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Biggest problem cruising the Exumas is that there is always one more great place before you turn back - in this case you missed Staniel Cay and Thunderball Grotto just 16 nm or so further south of Warderick Wells.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 17:29   #10

Boat: Hobie Cat

.....and that is what will bring us back! I would have loved to see the grotto and Staniel, along with Big Majors. Sights are set within 2 years.
twalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 15:05   #11

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Cape Eleuthera is nice, but was a ghost town the last two times I was there. I love Governor's Harbor for about two days, but then you run out of things to do. I second the suggestion of sailing over to the Exumas. Only about 30 miles across Exuma Sound to Highbourne Cay from Cape Eleuthera. Norman's Cay was fun (good burgers there at McDuff's), Warderick Wells is an absolute must-see (give yourself at least two days there), and Staniel Cay Yacht Club was a blast (also great cheeseburgers there). I wouldn't want to stray any further south than Staniel Cay with such a short time limit on your cruise. Good luck, have fun!
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter