Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 15:30   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: E Caribbean
Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Posts: 115
East Caribbean Rambling

We're back in New Orleans for hurricane season, where else darlin? After having Wahoo in the W Caribbean since 2012 we left Belize in late Feb. Our "leisurely" cruise East against the trades brought us to the Virgins for June and July. Wahoo is now safely tucked up in Puerto del Ray Marina, Fajardo PR.

While we are really enjoying seafood gumbo, poboys and music on Frenchmen St. I know that November will soon roll around. I'm in charge of merriment, food and meandering so I've opened the guidebooks, looked at the charts... It all looks wonderful and overwhelming! So many islands, so much fun to be had. Anyone willing to share thoughts for 8-9 months traveling down island?

You can see our shady past at S/V WAHOO
__________________

__________________
Dale
I say when life gives you limes...
Make a Gin and Tonic!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 05:13   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: Island Packet 420
Posts: 20
Re: E Caribbean Rambling

Have no plan & stick to it.
__________________

__________________
Capite
Fritz Gahagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:08   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: E Caribbean
Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Posts: 115
Re: E Caribbean Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Gahagan View Post
Have no plan & stick to it.
No, we like a little bit of structure but thanks for that thought.
__________________
Dale
I say when life gives you limes...
Make a Gin and Tonic!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:27   #4
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Like Wahoo, Smart Move is securely tucked in on land at Puerto del Rey Marina. We are heading back in November as well. We don't have much of a plan, but thought we would head straight to Grenada and catch up with friends that spent hurricane season there. Then we plan to leisurely work our way north and haul out in a Puerto Rico in August. If it works out we would like to be in Antigua in April for all of the racing festivities. Some of our favorite places to visit in the Windwards are Carriacou, Union Island, Bequia. We haven't seen much of the Leewards yet but really liked Le Saintes -- we are really looking forward to visiting the rest of the Leewards this year. As always, the Virgins are a lot of fun and we really enjoy spending June and July there without the crowds. If you are interested, check out http://www.sailblogs.com/member/smartmoveadventures/ it chronicles our fun last year traveling from Grenada to Le Saintes.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 13:18   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK and Central America
Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Posts: 313
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Wahoo

Greetings from Rio Dulce (and before that Belize). Who know, Eastern Caribbean next year?
__________________
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 13:23   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: E Caribbean
Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Posts: 115
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
Wahoo

Greetings from Rio Dulce (and before that Belize). Who know, Eastern Caribbean next year?
John and Sheila, wow! Lovely hearing from you. Miss you and all our cruising buddies from Placencia.
__________________
Dale
I say when life gives you limes...
Make a Gin and Tonic!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 14:43   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: E Caribbean
Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Posts: 115
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Like Wahoo, Smart Move is securely tucked in on land at Puerto del Rey Marina. We are heading back in November as well. We don't have much of a plan, but thought we would head straight to Grenada and catch up with friends that spent hurricane season there. Then we plan to leisurely work our way north and haul out in a Puerto Rico in August. If it works out we would like to be in Antigua in April for all of the racing festivities. Some of our favorite places to visit in the Windwards are Carriacou, Union Island, Bequia. We haven't seen much of the Leewards yet but really liked Le Saintes -- we are really looking forward to visiting the rest of the Leewards this year. As always, the Virgins are a lot of fun and we really enjoy spending June and July there without the crowds. If you are interested, check out Grandchildren Are Evil! | The Adventures of Smart Move it chronicles our fun last year traveling from Grenada to Le Saintes.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SmartMove your blog was very helpful. Thanks for including the link. We also spent June and July in the Virgins. Sorry we missed you.

We are heading back to Wahoo in PR next week and though we plan to take our time getting to Grenada eventually the time will come so I'm researching marinas that we can leave the boat in for a few months next winter. Any suggestions?
__________________
Dale
I say when life gives you limes...
Make a Gin and Tonic!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 15:36   #8
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

If you have no plan you cannot achieve anything.

Each of the island groups are different. I like the more afluent ones, others like the poorer ones.


Mark
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 15:39   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: E Caribbean
Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Posts: 115
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you have no plan you cannot achieve anything.

Each of the island groups are different. I like the more afluent ones, others like the poorer ones.


Mark
Thoughts on marinas in Grenada to leave the boat?
__________________
Dale
I say when life gives you limes...
Make a Gin and Tonic!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 16:16   #10
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagal View Post
Thoughts on marinas in Grenada to leave the boat?

What months? Ie hurricane season?

If its out of hurricane season any will do. But if its in hurricane season Port Louis Marina is the only one I would be in.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 07:17   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cambridge, MD
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42'
Posts: 12
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Don't miss Vieques and Culebra. A good place to start.
__________________
cjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 07:31   #12
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,599
Images: 7
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Love your blog! Can't wait to go through the whole thing!

We live in Bay St. Louis and are getting ready to leave on our next cruise down south in May (hurricanes are just part of life when you have been through as many as most of us around here have ).

We understand the pull of home and don't plan on selling our house here. No matter where we go, or for how long, we always come back.

We laughed at your dinghy name!
__________________
Cruising again!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 08:17   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: E Caribbean
Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Posts: 115
pirate Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Love your blog! Can't wait to go through the whole thing!

We live in Bay St. Louis and are getting ready to leave on our next cruise down south in May (hurricanes are just part of life when you have been through as many as most of us around here have ).

We understand the pull of home and don't plan on selling our house here. No matter where we go, or for how long, we always come back.

We laughed at your dinghy name!
We firmly believe that changing the dingy's name got us into the playoffs last season. Sometimes wearing your mightiest t-shirt just isn't enough!
Hope to see you "out there".
__________________
Dale
I say when life gives you limes...
Make a Gin and Tonic!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 10:22   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: E Caribbean
Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Posts: 115
Re: East Caribbean Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Don't miss Vieques and Culebra. A good place to start.
We really enjoyed the time we spent in Culebra should be there again in about a week.
__________________

__________________
Dale
I say when life gives you limes...
Make a Gin and Tonic!
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Caribbean, rib, caribbean

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
East Coast Shipper / Shipping on the East Coast typhoon General Sailing Forum 2 29-06-2013 07:26
Crew Available: From East Australia Going East (Fiji, French Polynesia, S. America) or North (Asia) olivierotte Crew Archives 0 05-05-2010 22:20
Crew Available: From East Australia Going East (Fiji, French Polynesia, South America) olivierotte Crew Archives 0 20-04-2010 18:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.