Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2008, 09:12   #1

Duty Free boat parts-Where?

We are looking at shipping in some boat parts to an Islnad in the Carribean and are looking for any duty free locations. I have heard the the Dutch side of St. Martin is duty free and Grenada is duty free (sort of). I am wondering if any other island in between these two are? We are looking for the most economical way to ship it as well. The anchor is about 75lbs and fedex is out of the question.

Bill
Dream Maker
Dream Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 10:20   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
How about using yacht in transit to avoid taxes?
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 12:17   #3

Yacht in Transit

Unfortunately, yacht in transit only works sometimes, on a given day, with the right customs person. Even in duty free Grenada, a yacht in transit will be charged, at the whim of the person on duty, anywhere from 0 to 5% in addition to customs service charges and paper work fees plus a customs broker charge. Fees add up quickly.

I'm heard that some islands have less expensive options without the extra charges but don't know which ones.

Bill
Dream Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 08:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
I have all too much experience with shipping to Trinidad, if that's an option for you. It's always a hassle, but I've found it to be a consistent hassle. There's inevitably some paperwork or logistical complication, which usually manifests as a time delay, and depending on the value of the shipment some small amount of bakshish (but usually nothing like what import duty/VAT would be.) Worst-case scenario was an Engel freezer that Tropical Shipping somehow didn't fill out a value for on the form...took six months to get it. Fortunately, I'm in the middle of a multi-year refit (Year 6 as of August 08), so I'm usually not in a gotta-have-it-now situation.

The Yacht-in-Transit thing doesn't seem to be a problem in Trini, certainly not subject to daily whim as you describe. Last year I did have to deputize YSATT to meet with C&E to defend the legitimacy of my Yacht-in-Transit status, but I have to admit that from their point of view, a boat being in the country five years and still calling itself "In Transit" probably looked suspicious. They are, however very particular about the first line of any shipping document including those magic words. If the shipper somehow misses that detail, you're SOL in terms of avoiding paying VAT.

I've heard many anecdotes about St. Maarten being the shipping destination of choice in the Carib, but I haven't investigated it myself as I'd still have to get it from there to Trinidad.

If I can add a sidebar to this thread, I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has found a cheaper and/or more efficient alternative to Tropical for shipping down to Trini...??
Old 17-11-2008, 09:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I made the mistake of tearing into my boat so agressivly that it could not safely be moved out of country (Lebinon)...after lots of bobing and weaving and 6months, I ended up having to "import" it...That translated to 25% of its value.
Fortunatly its value was pretty low once I removed the aft cabin top and a large part of the deck.
Unfortunatly everything I import for the refit (thats everything) is also subject to the same duty.
I cant believe your getting away with Transiting for 5 years!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 10:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm an odd case, even in the Refit Mecca of Trinidad. But I guess that C&E recognizes a cash cow when they see one. I like to say that I'm a proud supporter of the Trinidadian economy!

Yikes, James, that's a pretty scary scenario in Lebanon. If it's any consolation, you're making me feel better about my situation...!
Old 17-11-2008, 10:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also the (so far abortive) thread
“Shipping Packages & Mail"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mail-2237.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 11:18   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
I've only sent things to Grenada, and it has been a learning curve. WE made the mistake of sending some clothing last year - used stuff which we didn't want to pack - and using the replacement value on the package rather the actual value of the used clothing. We wound up paying a whopping 50% duty on the declared value of the good PLUS the shipping costs!
Other shipments have varied - I sent some engine parts in a box with some new cabin lights. They let the parts in at 5%, but charged 50% on the lights which they classified as "household goods" rather than boat parts.
I exchanged correspondence with the customs folks and they advised me to also state that the shipment contains "Ship's Spares" or "Ship's Stores" in addition to the "YIT" status.
This season I've been successful so far. I'm sending only legitimate boat parts, via US Mail, carefully addressed to myself aboard s/v La Nostra, Yacht in Transit, etc. The managers of the little boat yard have picked them up for me and had to pay only the 5% duty on declared value plus shipping.
Regarding your anchor, however - wow - there is no good way to get something like that shipped that I've been able to find. The sheer weight will kill you on shipping cost. Probably cheaper to buy a new on down there! (I did.)
Key so far has been accurate paperwork on the shipment, using the "YIT" status, stating the items are "Ship's Spares" and making sure anything sent in is a legitimate boat part.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote