Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 08:41   #166
Registered User
 
BlueBuddha's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wolverine Country
Boat: Lagoon 42
Posts: 323
Images: 1
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

This thread is not worth reading anymore. Between the posts by those who drank the Chavismo kool-aid and think that Venezuela is a democracy (as if "elections" are the only requirement for a democracy) and truly believe that Venezuela is better off today than it was in the 90s.... and those who drank the libertarianism kool-aid and think that nothing short of a tea-party style conservative system could possible work (as if the entire Scandinavian countries with their "horrible" standard of living didn't exist), it is simply impossible to argue with people holding extreme views. Kool-aid makes you blind to facts- but who wants facts when you have beliefs.

Let's just go back to talking about prop walks and sail trim. bb.
__________________

__________________
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:53   #167
Registered User
 
Saleen411's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Discovery Bay, CA
Posts: 582
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
BTW, I've been in downtown Buenos Aires, downtown Caracas, NYC, Southe Central LA, Chicago south side, etc and I've never been mugged in my life. You are doing something wrong.
Maybe walk some of these areas at night as a blonde woman and see how it goes.
__________________

__________________
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"- Andre' Gide
Saleen411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:01   #168
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

BlueBuddha, Scandinavians had some form of democratic governance beginning back in 9th century. I believe Iceland's Althing parliament is the oldest continuously functioning parliament in the world first convened in 965AD. And even during the height of vikings' maurauding raids they were making their decisions more or less collectively, with everyone's input, even the women folk. So it is not surprising that after 1,000 years of such political experience they have found a way to juggle democracy, economic justice and fair play.

The same cannot be said of most SA societies as they have a long and practically unbroken history of nondemocratic rule, chronyism and disregard for the opiions of the underclasses going back to colonial Spain. And even a democratic country such as Costa Rica can't rise above its 3rd world banana republic status. Never mind about the oligarchic Mexico, Brazil and such.

And US from its colonial times had benefited greatly from England's Magna Carta and subsequent Parliament being in existence for centuries already.

Very few countries in the world short on long term democratic experience (of which free and fair elections are certainly only one aspect) have managed any semblance of democracy. And each nation is entitled only to the government it deserves. No more no less. When Venezuelans, Russians, Arabs, Africans, Chinese, etc. will decide to be under a different type of rule they will build and adopt a different type of political system. Until then they wil have what they have.
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:03   #169
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,202
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Yeah... we are really lucky in the 1st World...
We got 20yr old minimum wage earners to shoulder the states burden...
BBC News - Real life 'Spider-Man' helps homeless in Birmingham
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:20   #170
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
This thread is not worth reading anymore. Between the posts by those who drank the Chavismo kool-aid and think that Venezuela is a democracy (as if "elections" are the only requirement for a democracy) and truly believe that Venezuela is better off today than it was in the 90s.... and those who drank the libertarianism kool-aid and think that nothing short of a tea-party style conservative system could possible work (as if the entire Scandinavian countries with their "horrible" standard of living didn't exist), it is simply impossible to argue with people holding extreme views. Kool-aid makes you blind to facts- but who wants facts when you have beliefs.

Let's just go back to talking about prop walks and sail trim. bb.
I think the "Azul Gautama" told us to shut up...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:34   #171
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yeah... we are really lucky in the 1st World...
We got 20yr old minimum wage earners to shoulder the states burden...
BBC News - Real life 'Spider-Man' helps homeless in Birmingham
What to you expect to happen as our 1st world values for the past 30-40 years are being diluted by the hordes of 3rd world types overwhelming the system? When "Jose the illegal" undercuts the union guy by offering his serivces at $10/hr cash at the HD parking lot what do you expect the 20 year old son of that union guy to be able to afford educationwise? And the ironic part is that the 20 year old is likely to be on the Jose's side politically and philosophically.
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:51   #172
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,202
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
What to you expect to happen as our 1st world values for the past 30-40 years are being diluted by the hordes of 3rd world types overwhelming the system? When "Jose the illegal" undercuts the union guy by offering his serivces at $10/hr cash at the HD parking lot what do you expect the 20 year old son of that union guy to be able to afford educationwise? And the ironic part is that the 20 year old is likely to be on the Jose's side politically and philosophically.
So.. its nothing to do with the miniscule amount of Corprate fat catz n bankers n sold out politicians with golden bonuses and retirement packages for wrecking economies then...
Phew.. what a relief.. I was worried for a moment.

__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:56   #173
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. its nothing to do with the miniscule amount of Corprate fat catz n bankers n sold out politicians with golden bonuses and retirement packages for wrecking economies then...
Phew.. what a relief.. I was worried for a moment.

I think they are wrecking economies so that they can implement a new way of running them...
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 10:17   #174
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
This thread is not worth reading anymore. Between the posts by those who drank the Chavismo kool-aid and think that Venezuela is a democracy (as if "elections" are the only requirement for a democracy) and truly believe that Venezuela is better off today than it was in the 90s.... and those who drank the libertarianism kool-aid and think that nothing short of a tea-party style conservative system could possible work (as if the entire Scandinavian countries with their "horrible" standard of living didn't exist), it is simply impossible to argue with people holding extreme views. Kool-aid makes you blind to facts- but who wants facts when you have beliefs.

Let's just go back to talking about prop walks and sail trim
. bb.
I like it when my prop walks to the right a little. Not too far but right for sure. If it starts left I do not like it at all..... like now.

About trim. I find that if I am trimmed smartly I get better service from underlings. Gotta watch out for the robbers and all but overall good trim is a nicer way to go.

__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 10:20   #175
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,202
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I think they are wrecking economies so that they can implement a new way of running them...
Ahh well.. as long as they know what they're doing.. hate to think it was just kinda random opportunism..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 10:21   #176
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 238
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

To finalize my part in this discussion, I live here in SA. For us living here, the last 10 years have been the best in 50 years and that with governments that go from social-democratic center to socialist ma non troppo. It got better not only for the poor, for the rich too. In my yacht club, the boats went during this period from average 25-28 ft to average 45-50 ft. That's several fold in cost.

Some of you insist in demonize SA and put the contrast all the way to 11. The only thing I said is that reality is more nuanced. That is somewhat of a impossibility to accept to those who say that Obama is an islam practitioner with socialist leanings born in Africa, his wife is a chimp and that socialized health care is the end of civilization. I'm won't attempt to cure you of your ills
__________________
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 10:30   #177
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,202
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Everyone worries about 'Money' to much.. a fictional invention of no real value in itself created by the Robber Barons of ancient times who got pissed off forever having to build new barns and pig sty's to store the taxes.. now they just have IOU's in the ether..
Don't believe me..? WTF dya think devaluation is...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:12   #178
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
To finalize my part in this discussion, I live here in SA. For us living here, the last 10 years have been the best in 50 years and that with governments that go from social-democratic center to socialist ma non troppo. It got better not only for the poor, for the rich too. In my yacht club, the boats went during this period from average 25-28 ft to average 45-50 ft. That's several fold in cost.

Some of you insist in demonize SA and put the contrast all the way to 11. The only thing I said is that reality is more nuanced. That is somewhat of a impossibility to accept to those who say that Obama is an islam practitioner with socialist leanings born in Africa, his wife is a chimp and that socialized health care is the end of civilization. I'm won't attempt to cure you of your ills
When you want to rustle/prod cattle you use a Cowboy..When you want to coddell the masses you use the tooth Fairy..We will All wake from this with a surprise (I hope mine is money!)under our pillows if were All lucky. You probably do know better about whats going on than I in your part of the world.. Most of what I know is from being on the outside of the box looking in , I tell ya" it don't look good from out here".. To balance it out you may observe the same thing about where I live but it is getting better(may be artificial?)and if not look out because when its bad here from my experience its worse everywhere else..Oh yea that gal in Argentina is jacked up on something!!
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 11:54   #179
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I like it when my prop walks to the right a little. Not too far but right for sure. If it starts left I do not like it at all..... like now.

About trim. I find that if I am trimmed smartly I get better service from underlings. Gotta watch out for the robbers and all but overall good trim is a nicer way to go.

I was needing some Therapy,thanks..
__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 17:02   #180
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: north carolina
Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Posts: 3,113
Re: Dutch sailor shot dead in Brazil-(Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
To finalize my part in this discussion, I live here in SA. For us living here, the last 10 years have been the best in 50 years and that with governments that go from social-democratic center to socialist ma non troppo. It got better not only for the poor, for the rich too. In my yacht club, the boats went during this period from average 25-28 ft to average 45-50 ft. That's several fold in cost.

Some of you insist in demonize SA and put the contrast all the way to 11. The only thing I said is that reality is more nuanced. That is somewhat of a impossibility to accept to those who say that Obama is an islam practitioner with socialist leanings born in Africa, his wife is a chimp and that socialized health care is the end of civilization. I'm won't attempt to cure you of your ills
I thought he was born in Indonesia!
__________________

__________________
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Brazil, sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dutch Sailor Missing in the Atlantic ilCigno Our Community 80 09-04-2014 17:59
Bequia: Sailor shot and wounded neilpride General Sailing Forum 0 30-07-2012 08:11
Dutch Teenage Sailor Laura Dekker 'Missing' clausont Cruising News & Events 56 31-03-2010 21:00



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.