Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 14:44   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Don't go to Utila!

This is hilarious:
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 18:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Don't go to Utila!

Nice one Phil!!!!

J & her
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 19:42   #3

Yes that vid has been around for a few years and has attracted business for the Island. It's a cool place, we've been there a couple of times and it's very friendly and cheap diesel...does it get any Better??
Diving is good and we swam with the whale sharks which is a very cool experience, actually did it twice. Very young crowd there who like to dive, drink and party. Average age must be well below 30..If I was younger you probably couldn't keep me away from there. Young people from all over the world and it's cheap to live there, nobody makes much money but I don't think they care. Anchorage is fine except the noise does travel over the water very well..everyone should go there once, basically one street and no cars, motor bikes, quads and tuc tuc's are pretty much it, most of us just walk.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:53   #4
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

I haven't been there for 25 years, but was not particularly impressed with Utila or the diving there. The nearby island of Roatan on the other hand was exceptional in all aspects - Long time ago though and things change....
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I haven't been there for 25 years, but was not particularly impressed with Utila or the diving there. The nearby island of Roatan on the other hand was exceptional in all aspects - Long time ago though and things change....
We have dived many times on both islands and found that Utila was unique it is own way. The coral formations in parts of Utila are really ourstanding, prettier than anything we have seen in Roatan. It's been 25 years since you've been there and if it's like most things that's a life time for coral reefs, you must have gotten in some amazing dives back then. Roatan has tons more dive operators and divers so the reefs there are under more pressure and while the diving is still good and there is still plenty of sea life I'd give the gold star to Utila when it came to the condition of the coral.
Old 08-12-2017, 18:09   #6
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have dived many times on both islands and found that Utila was unique it is own way. The coral formations in parts of Utila are really ourstanding, prettier than anything we have seen in Roatan. It's been 25 years since you've been there and if it's like most things that's a life time for coral reefs, you must have gotten in some amazing dives back then. Roatan has tons more dive operators and divers so the reefs there are under more pressure and while the diving is still good and there is still plenty of sea life I'd give the gold star to Utila when it came to the condition of the coral.
Yes pretty spectacular back then - It was a really quiet island and not easy to get to by Air - Only way was a prop plane out of Le Ceiba on the Mainland. Now I believe there are direct flights from Miami?

At the time they were incredibly strict about diving there - No gloves whilst diving were allowed to be worn and there were large fines for removing anything. It was even policed by a set of divers ensuring that everyone abides the rules and dived sensibly without trashing the Coral etc.

Utila on the other hand was the complete opposite at the time, with a lot of the sites we saw already starting to get trashed.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 21:15   #7

It's very easy to harm reefs as you already know. Bonaire has similar rules, no gloves etc. Personally I'm glad when people do their best to look after a national treasure.
Old 08-12-2017, 21:37   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I hear Cayos Cochinos has the best diving of the bunch...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote