Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-02-2014, 12:50   #1
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl
Delmarva Coast planning

We are bringing our boat down the the Chesapeake this summer from Maine, we have plenty of time. One option is to leave Cape May
and head South along the Delmarva Coast. I've done both the Delaware and Delmarva runs as straight on through
routes without stopping, with crew. This trip, its just my wife and I. So, I'm thinking about breaking up the Cape May route South by stopping in Ocean City.
The entrance looks reasonable. But has anyone got local knowledge on this Harbor? Chincoteague Harbor entrance looks kind of dicey.
After getting towards around the Cape, has anyone anchored at Kiptopeke Beach? Or would you recommend Little Creek?
Thanks,
mnh

Old 15-02-2014, 13:01   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Delmarva Coast planning

You did not list your draft.

OC is easy to find and well marked, but it can be a bugger in an outgoing tide and it will break in onshore conditions. Tide can hit 4-5 knots.

Chincoteague is well marked, just not on the charts (there is a CG base with a tender and they move the marks as required). There is only about 7-8 feet at low tide, but at least 10' at high tide (the locals can find more--that is what I seem to stumble across). Some big draggers call it home, but they go in and out at high tide. It never breaks or gets rough (I've entered with a 10-foot swell) because the approach winds.

However, docking can be difficult. The town marina has the only big slips and is in the tide. There is a bulkhead, which can work better.

Neither would be smart at night or in poor weather without prior experience.

---

Personally, we skip OC and stop in Chincoteague, generally for several days. More fun, more relaxing. But that depends on taste.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 13:35   #3

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

From Cape May to Norfolk, I would rather do it in one hop, or take the inside route via C&D canal. OC, Maryland and Chincoteague are not a popular spot for sailboat for a reason.

Have fun and good luck.
Old 15-02-2014, 14:37   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Kiptopeke Beach (State Park), behind the concrete ships, is a good anchorage, usually south of the fishing pier/jetty. Not quite so good if there is a strong wind out of the south west.

We have under those conditions anchored north of the pier, but the swimming buoys prevent you from tucking in so well. Or you can anchor closer to the concrete ships for protection from the SW, but be prepared for a strong tidal current.

We enjoy going ashore. We take the dinghy to the back side of the dock at the launch ramp (N side of pier), but be sure to have life jackets w/ you. Ask me why ($100). Lot of trails to walk, and lot of bird watching/banding in the fall, anyway. All of the birds migrating down the eastern shore are funneled over the park land. There is a little concession store there.

The town docks at Cape Charles are another possibility, maybe 4 miles north. Supplies available there, but for a full grocery store you really need a bike. The have golf carts for rent as well, so that might be an option.
Old 16-02-2014, 14:58   #5
mnh

Boat: Hinckley Custom 45 ft. yawl

Thanks all, very useful responses. We draw about 4.5 ft. Route planning today at the kitchen table (during an otherwise endless winter) has us going from Block I directly to the Southern Chesapeake..Out of all the Jersey and Delmarva put in spots, the one that looks the best is Cape May..Personally, We'd rather be offshore in settled conditions doing overnighters than bucking tides, rips and moving sand bars. Thanks again...mnh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: