Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 09:41   #16

Location: Cape Town has stolen my heart, but I adore Montreal.
Re: Delivery to Annapolis from South Africa via Caribbean in Aug/Sept good or bad ide

No argument here. No weather info, me no go.
Voyager1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 09:52   #17

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Re: Delivery to Annapolis from South Africa via Caribbean in Aug/Sept good or bad ide

Who is setting this schedule and has the owner got coverage for this trip in this timeframe? It just seems so likely that the insurer will veto this plan. And I can't see anyone self insuring an $800,000 boat just to meet a schedule that is uninsurable.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 10:02   #18

To be honest I am not sure but when we first spoke, we discussed my credentials and whatnot for the insurance company.

The owner has a deal with the SA govt to foot half the bill for the boat if it gets to four international boat shows. Now, before we all go nuts, the skipper is no fool. I him was referred to him by others who have sailed with him with great reports of professionalism and expertise. The owner, who is friends with some people I have sailed with, will not likely send the boat without insurance but I din't know this for certain so will ask.

This issue is a good one and worth brining up with the skipper.
Old 26-04-2014, 10:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery to Annapolis from South Africa via Caribbean in Aug/Sept good or bad ide

I'd jump up to Trinidad and await a good window then run due N as fast as possible.. 7 days should get you N of the Gulf Steam and on the way to Bermuda... next dodgy bit is when you curve NNW back into Hurricane alley as you make Bermuda..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 10:46   #20

I'll look at that option boatman. I take it your a delivery skipper, judging from your other posts. You reckon it's feasible, given weather info, plan, a ready team?
Old 26-04-2014, 11:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes. Kind of like all the fun Irishmike had on the last leg of his trip from VI to Newport.
Pray tell what fun was that?
Old 26-04-2014, 11:38   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery to Annapolis from South Africa via Caribbean in Aug/Sept good or bad ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager1 View Post
I'll look at that option boatman. I take it your a delivery skipper, judging from your other posts. You reckon it's feasible, given weather info, plan, a ready team?
Everything's feasible if you can read the weather.. I'd start checking the systems over the route from now until you leave.. and daily checks whenever you can.. also get a book or something on cloud formations and what they mean..
Here's another good site to use.. its Norse... but arrows etc are the same in any language..
www.yr.no

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:50   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

this is a good one

Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers - PassageWeather
Old 26-04-2014, 11:51   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Pray tell what fun was that?
This, may be?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...re-122863.html
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:56   #25

Ive got my RYA and IYT yachtmaster coastal anD have been studying clouds and weather for a couple years. By no means an expert but i practice everyday as I have a great view of False Bay from my balcony. Will look at synoptics daily/weekly.
Old 26-04-2014, 12:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
I think others worked it up a lot, and in the end, he faced a challenge, and came out stronger and smarter. Knowing what I know about hypothermia (it actually takes a lot of time before you will succumb to clinical hypothermia) the effects of cold on the body are incredible and I have no doubt his skipper couldn't do jack. As far as I can tell, any other year would have been better than this one to do that passage. The weather in NA has been ludicrous. I normally live in Montreal, and escaped to the Southern Hemisphere.

V.
Old 26-04-2014, 12:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That is a good site. I have it on my weather links list. For interest sake, what do you think about

earth :: an animated map of global wind and weather ?
Old 26-04-2014, 18:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I think others worked it up a lot, and in the end, he faced a challenge, and came out stronger and smarter. Knowing what I know about hypothermia (it actually takes a lot of time before you will succumb to clinical hypothermia) the effects of cold on the body are incredible and I have no doubt his skipper couldn't do jack. As far as I can tell, any other year would have been better than this one to do that passage. The weather in NA has been ludicrous. I normally live in Montreal, and escaped to the Southern Hemisphere.

V.

Reason I brought it up, his trip had a similar concern to the one you're planning. Odds on it would be a great experience but the time and place did include a certain amount of risk of hitting survival level storms. Did you see the weather report for New England a week or so before Irishmike arrived?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 00:09   #29

No I didn't see, but the time of year in the Atlantic would have guaranteed a high degree of discomfort at least due to the cold. And given the dramatic weather that North America was subjected to since December... brrrrrrr. For the record, I didn't plan this route. I need miles for my Yachtmaster Ocean, and a way to get home from South Africa. I'm still on the fence about it, but if the skipper can provide me with satisfactory answers to my concerns and questions, I will go. And if at any time, I no longer feel safe or satisfied, I will part company.

The three themes I am seeing from this thread is:
1. Most importantly, if we've got access to weather information, it will enable us to make smarter decisions.
2. We must have clear options for exits and holes, and then
3. We must have some expertise/preparation for putting these plans into place. eg. what to do in a hurricane hole. (I'm researching this now, what people are doing to protect their boats and themselves.)

V.
Old 27-04-2014, 00:20   #30

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But just think of all the fun you'd miss out on...

Don't trust this man. We all know his idea of fun...!!!

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Africa, annapolis, Caribbean, delivery, rib, South Africa