Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-04-2014, 01:50   #31

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Delivery to Annapolis from South Africa via Caribbean in Aug/Sept good or bad ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Everything's feasible if you can read the weather.. I'd start checking the systems over the route from now until you leave.. and daily checks whenever you can.. also get a book or something on cloud formations and what they mean..
Here's another good site to use.. its Norse... but arrows etc are the same in any language..
www.yr.no
That's a good site. At the top right hand corner you can select English. My brother in law in Aus is a farmer and introduced us to it. According to him if the site says it's going to rain at 11 am, it rains at 11.

They post pictures on their website from around the world and this is us exiting the Swansea Channel on Good Friday. I guess we were the best looking boat on the day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yr.no site pic.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	80097  

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:12   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Delivery to Annapolis from South Africa via Caribbean in Aug/Sept good or bad ide

You're really not at risk for tropical storms until you reach about 10 deg N or higher, so I agree with Boatie that planning to stop in Trinidad, re-provision, and assess the weather prospects for the run north makes sense. I don't agree with heading for Bermuda--that takes you out of your way by at least a day, maybe two.

A better route, in my opinion, and one I've taken, is to head NW from the islands, heading up toward the Bahamas. You will have the Trades on your starboard quarter until you're fairly close to the Bahamas. Then pass them to the north and catch the Gulf Stream for a 4 kt boost up to Hatteras, where you leave the Stream to follow the coast up to the Chesapeake Bay. Make sure you have charts and sailing instructions for the major inlets along the East Coast in case you need to duck in for shelter.

Alternately, you could take a route further offshore closer to the rhumb line and skip the Gulf Stream if the sailing is good, so you can shave off some miles. It's kind of a push between the shorter rhumb line route and getting the Gulf Stream boost on the longer route, timewise.

Old 27-04-2014, 08:01   #33

Boat: Slocum 43

Sounds like you have some great advice. The best being weather routing. I'd say that's a good mitigation for acceptable risks.

You'll have to give us updates as your decision and trip progresses.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:17   #34

Location: Cape Town has stolen my heart, but I adore Montreal.

Will get a hold of almanacs and sailing instructions. My skipper has been up there a few times so that helps. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely discuss options with the skip.

@Pirate... The advice is why I am here! You guys are great! I will post updates as I approach departure as well as en route on my website

Www.Joshuafiddler.com
Old 27-04-2014, 08:22   #35

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
You're really not at risk for tropical storms until you reach about 10 deg N or higher, so I agree with Boatie that planning to stop in Trinidad, re-provision, and assess the weather prospects for the run north makes sense. I don't agree with heading for Bermuda--that takes you out of your way by at least a day, maybe two.

A better route, in my opinion, and one I've taken, is to head NW from the islands, heading up toward the Bahamas. You will have the Trades on your starboard quarter until you're fairly close to the Bahamas. Then pass them to the north and catch the Gulf Stream for a 4 kt boost up to Hatteras, where you leave the Stream to follow the coast up to the Chesapeake Bay. Make sure you have charts and sailing instructions for the major inlets along the East Coast in case you need to duck in for shelter.
This is good advice and good routing. Combine it with good weather info and you've improved you position a lot. Many people use Chris Parker, a very accomplished and professional weatherman in the Caribbean. You can subscribe and get specific input and routing for your vessel, or just listen in to his morning broadcasts and wing it from there.

Picking up 3 or 4 knots in the Gulf Stream is like a magic carpet ride and more fun than just punching across it.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 08:26   #36

Boat: Searunner 31

If it were me, I'd be certain to have extremely reliable gear to pick up weather. Hurricanes don't just happen but result from the confluence of weather characteristics that allow them to develop and if that can be reliably monitored as you're coming up from Brazil then make the decision whether to enter the zone. Their tracks and development are reliably predicted up to as much as a week out. Everyone on board needs to know hurricane evasion techniques and what the vessels capabilities are in terms of miles per day in varying conditions (there may be little wind) ahead or to the side of the system.
I wouldn't let the threat of sailing through hurricane season by itself to not do the trip.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I wouldn't let the threat of sailing through hurricane season by itself to not do the trip.

:-) as I've said above, Thanks for all the advice. I will certainly insist upon some procedures for regular equipment checks as per all of my training over the last few years. I am at least grateful for my fastidiousness and list making proclivities :-)
Old 27-04-2014, 08:48   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
This is good advice and good routing. Combine it with good weather info and you've improved you position a lot. Many people use Chris Parker, a very accomplished and professional weatherman in the Caribbean.

I will look into that subscription.
Old 27-04-2014, 08:53   #39

In case you're at all interested, here is the boat

http://maverickforsale.com/maverick-440/

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/listi...oat_id=2694111
Old 29-04-2014, 10:30   #40

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate999 View Post
Sounds like you have some great advice. The best being weather routing. I'd say that's a good mitigation for acceptable risks.
Also consider pro weather routing. Relatively inexpensive educated second opinion. And, they have time and resource access to do daily updates while you are busy with the boat and may have minimal data access.

I've had Chris Parker do a couple of weather routes for me in the past and was quite pleased. Updates available via SSB/email.
Old 15-09-2014, 09:32   #41

So, after 5400 miles, I walked away from the delivery after landing in Barbados. The skipper is a nightmare. I will post a report and try to keep it short and simple, but for now, suffice it to say, guys like this are why people die, in my opinion.
Old 15-09-2014, 10:14   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager1 View Post
So, after 5400 miles, I walked away from the delivery after landing in Barbados. The skipper is a nightmare. I will post a report and try to keep it short and simple, but for now, suffice it to say, guys like this are why people die, in my opinion.
Congratulations on making it 5400 miles--I assume that Barbados was the first landfall. You are not the first nor will be the last crew that has bailed at the first port.

We are all awaiting your report, as there is always something new to learn. However, take a couple of days to gain perspective--don't write it in the heat of the moment and remember that there are two sides to every story. Sometimes its not a question of good and bad, its just incompatible personalities.

I for one would like to know how well you knew the skipper before you left, and how long it took for problems to arise. As a delivery skipper, I always prefer to take crew that I have sailed passages with before, but that's not always possible. A daysail is not enough--many personalities change with fatigue.

We look forward to the details...
Old 15-09-2014, 11:07   #43

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager1 View Post
What happened? Please update us when you can.
Old 15-09-2014, 11:36   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

it's a sad fact that for some people the reality of long distance sailing is more like an emotional endurance course.

the fact is the boat got to the caribbean mid sept as was planned by the skipper before departure,nightmare or not it sounds like he knows what he is doing.
Old 15-09-2014, 11:58   #45

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Since Barbados was neither the first port or even a planned stop, I'm interested to hear this too.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
Africa, annapolis, Caribbean, delivery, rib, South Africa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: