Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2012, 12:31   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Cuba - Warning non-American Boats

Just a waring to non-American boats that are sailing back from Cuba to USA...

It use to be OK for non-USA registered boats but I (Canadian) just did it and US customs threatened to arrest us and seize the boat. In the end they said I could no longer have a crusing permit for USA (maybe not a bad thing).

Guess I should have said we were going down there to see the Pope.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:45   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Cuba - Warning non-American boats

Thanks.. I was planning visiting there (US) next year but might be better to forget it..
Never liked anyone else telling me where I can go
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-03-2012, 13:17   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Paul, I sense you're not telling us the complete story. Were you're troubles solely that your last port of call was in Cuba or that you were carrying and not declaring prohibited items such as foodstuffs, Cuban cigars, or there were American citizens aboard, or what?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-03-2012, 13:28   #4

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Mark

I agree with your assessment.

Even though a non-American has the right to enter and buy freely in Cuba, it doesn't mean that same person/boat, then has the right to enter American waters with no influence from our laws.

Non-American boats(in American waters), have the same rights as American Boats upon entering/re-entering America from Cuba . . . basically, lookie no buyee.

Actually this makes complete sense to me, although I've never understood the lingering problems between America and Cuba.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-03-2012, 13:30   #5

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Last time I was in Key West, you had to get a permit to go to Cuba (if you left the US from anywhere south of Miami) and you had to report back to the coast guard to return your permit. It was a permit to "enter and return from hostile waters from south Fla".
Funny, I never found the Cubans to be hostile.

The other Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-03-2012, 13:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Paul, I sense you're not telling us the complete story. Were you're troubles solely that your last port of call was in Cuba or that you were carrying and not declaring prohibited items such as foodstuffs, Cuban cigars, or there were American citizens aboard, or what?
phiggins, would be wonderful if you could answer the above questions, please.

Did they trace you coming in from Cuba? Was it in your documents? Where did you go after, since you got denied the cruising permit?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-03-2012, 14:04   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Name any country and it will take me about two minutes to write some paragraphs on asinine aspects of its foreign and domestic policy.

They (as in the guy who until recently ran the place, and now its his brother) went so far as to have nuclear weapons on deck to rain down on our heads about fifty years ago. I agree that our foreign policy towards Cuba is rather ridiculous right now, but after watching documentaries like The Fog of War I can see why people who lived through that might err on the side of caution.
When I go to Cuba I live by Cuban Law. When I visit the US I live by your law. I love cruising the US east coat and ICW and have felt welcomed at every stop by whom I consider to be the most generous people on the planet. I don't judge the American people by your stupid politicians and I sure as hell hope you don't judge me by the useless parasites in Ottawa.
I do want to point out one small issue. The US got a litle pissed of at Fidel for having missiles pointed at the US ... a valid gripe but at the same time the US had already had for years, missiles in Turkey pointed at Moscow and your military still has an unwelcome 20 (think thats right) square mile military post in Cuba.

What's good for the goose.....
Old 26-03-2012, 14:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We have a common interest in promoting the freedoms of international cruising. Any negative comments demeaning the people or politics of others will not be in this interest.
Old 26-03-2012, 14:45   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

sometimes it seems there is no place to cruise without issues

But, in this case isn't there other non-USA people here who have sailed from Cuba to the USA? What experiences do you have to share (just as a learning one since it doesn't matter to me as a law abiding USA'er)
Old 26-03-2012, 14:46   #10

Boat: Sailboat

I believe, the US Embargo prohibits any ship that calls in Cuba to check-in at USA for at least 6 months.

But I can't find a good reference, can somebody point us to an official document? And, is this true for recreational crafts?

If this is the rule, better play by it.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-03-2012, 14:49   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
Just a waring to non-American boats that are sailing back from Cuba to USA...

It use to be OK for non-USA registered boats but I (Canadian) just did it and US customs threatened to arrest us and seize the boat. In the end they said I could no longer have a crusing permit for USA (maybe not a bad thing).

When are they going to get rid of this unjust embargo? If Americans didn't protest unjust laws, their national athem would be "God Save the Queen".

Guess I should have said we were going down there to see the Pope.
phiggins, we really need more details. I too am Canadian, and my boat will be registered as a Canadian one. AFAIK, we don't need a cruising permit for the US, it is implied.

Wonder if you got a customs official who just doesn't know the law? Happens here all the time. I know that those officials don't need a reason to ban you for 10 years so one is careful about discussing an issue with them, but what law did he say you transgressed on? The restriction is for US citizens to spend money in Cuba, nothing else.

If phiggins does not respond, would anyone else know these details?
Old 26-03-2012, 14:49   #12

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Paul, this does sound odd. Who exactly revoked your cruising permit?

It is unfortunate that the current policies are in place, but there is still a lot of emotion around the Cuba issue. I am very interested, like others, what the circumstances were.

Losing a cruising permit for the US is harsh. That is a lot of cruising off the table for a policy you did not know about. The island is loaded with Canadian tourists, I was there a couple of weeks ago, on a sanctioned agricultural trip. I guess they don't want your boat passing back through?? I have heard that boats that call on Cuba could not call on US waters for 6 months, but I did not think this was true. What are the rest of you Canadians doing? I assumed you were all not going Cuba - Nova Scotia direct.

Chase
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 26-03-2012, 14:52   #13

It is really easy for things to seem stupid and useless and everyone can hee and haw over them. But there is generally a reason for most things that isn't very hard to find.

Cuban immigrants into the USA make up a large voter base in Florida (a critical swing state generally). Any US President that would drop the embargo and open trade or relations with Cuba would be risking upsetting this population of Cuban Americans. They generally hate Castro. Anyone that upsets this particular group could easily lose the state.

To cause further problems, it really isn't a big issue for most Americans. Not everyone is out there cruising. And there are plenty of vacation spots without Cuba in the mix. Cigar smokers have long waged a fight for opening trade with Cuban but are quashed as they too are a minority "sub culture" group in America. It doesn't help that Tobacco is a demon right now in America.

Its very easy to get nasty debates about how "stupid" or "foolish" one or another country is about laws and policies. This policy was enacted in a time when it made good sense. And to retract it has proved to be politically dangerous.

Once Castro is gone I suspect the Cuban-American population in Florida will calm down to an extent, especially if Cuba becomes more modern in its economic policies.
Old 26-03-2012, 14:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

[QUOTE=avb3;916590]phiggins, we really need more details. I too am Canadian, and my boat will be registered as a Canadian one. AFAIK, we don't need a cruising permit for the US, it is implied. QUOTE]

I too am Canadian and have always been required to have a cruising permit if in US waters for more than two weeks.
Old 26-03-2012, 15:12   #15

I was there 15 years ago.
They did not like it when I arrived in Key West. But not too big a deal.
Now - things are different - much worse.
I would not even think about risking property and freedom, by traveling there.
That's the law - obey it.
My thoughts are that Cuban's are incredibly lucky they were not nuked, firebombed, napalmed, agent-oranged like some other countries. Perhaps they have nothing we need.
In any case if/when it opens up I hope that those that control it will/are doing to prevent any vendettas etc form the cuban expats, and another horrid civil war....
And it opens up to tourism/cruising and money for all...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Cuba, cuba