Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 08:55   #31

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Uhhh, those two points would appear to be somewhat in conflict...
Not sure I'd be boasting about that on the internet, either, but perhaps that's just me...:-))
Ther are only 4 official ports of entry on Cuba's north coast... Are you saying you always sail further East than Varadero, all the way to Cayo Guillermo/Coco or Puerto Vita, before checking in?
There is no boasting here, just what I used to do. Its different now, since I have "friends" in Cuba. I dont sail east that far, may as well just go bahama and down. Alot of places on the west side of the island, though no "official" ports of entry on that end. I cant remember there being 4 Official port of entry, I thought there was only 3 north side.
Old 30-01-2015, 09:22   #32

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Ahh, but we have been there and done that. Glad your living your life your way. But others should be presented with the facts and understand the consequences so they can make informed decisions. And we should try very hard to keep the discussion to boating and leave the political views to other forums. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 09:33   #33

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Just an FYI.. Kayak is now offering hotel and flight information for Cuba.

Kayak Offers Searches for Cuban Travel - WSJ

American Airlines is also working on regular scheduled flights there.

American Airlines Flies Lots of Charters to Cuba But Wants to Add Scheduled Flights – Skift
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 09:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Just an FYI.. Kayak is now offering hotel and flight information for Cuba.

Kayak Offers Searches for Cuban Travel - WSJ

American Airlines is also working on regular scheduled flights there.

American Airlines Flies Lots of Charters to Cuba But Wants to Add Scheduled Flights – Skift
This are most certainly changing. As of yesterday morning a bill was introduced in the Senate to lift the travel restrictions and a companion bill will be introduced in the House on either today or Monday. Whether either of these will get passed in the near future is anyone guess. Mastercard will now be doing swipes in Cuba as of March 1st. American Express has an interest and we suspect all the others will follow suit. Adding Cuba to Kayak is simply a logical progression but in no way changes the travel policies. I'm surprised they have waited this long since travel to Cuba has been going on in the rest of the world for decades. American airlines would "like" to start scheduled flights, but neither they nor any other airlines can actually begin those flights until they get approval from the U.S. government. That won't happen until the travel restrictions are lifted. Flights from other countries have been ongoing for years. We just have to be patient and be wary of all the information flying around the internet. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 30-01-2015, 10:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
All I can say to that is, I dont live in fear of what may or may not happen. I live life, and accept the consequences that comes from my choices.
Having formerly worked in law-enforcement, I can tell you that every criminal I ever interviewed had the same attitude. That is, until they got caught. Then they were suddenly not so willing to accept the consequences.

Funny how that works.

(Now go ahead and tell me how much of a sheep I am. )
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 11:06   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Having formerly worked in law-enforcement, I can tell you that every criminal I ever interviewed had the same attitude. That is, until they got caught. Then they were suddenly not so willing to accept the consequences.

Funny how that works.

(Now go ahead and tell me how much of a sheep I am. )
It's the difference in people who like to play checkers, and those who like to play chess. The most important characteristic in a chess player, is the ability to visualize many moves into the future (in fact Grand Masters talk of being able to visualize the possible outcomes of a game after the very first move).

I, too, was in law enforcement, and likewise arrested many people who informed me that they never contemplated what the consequences of being caught and arrested would entail in their lives. I call it the, "My plan to deal with that possible outcome was to hope really hard it didn't happen," plan of action.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:15   #37

Quote:
As well, I know of a few criminals that hide behind a badge, and they have issues with suffering the consequences of their actions. The newspapers are riddled these days with stories of police crying the blues. Good to know you "formerly" work in law enforcement, and are now off the government teet, and my taxpaying dollars. Wonder how many people you have bullied and civil rights violated in your career ? Hope is was a short lived one. Perhaps you got busted out since you stated "formerly"
So the people who catch people breaking the law, are the bad guys in your world? I know your world.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:22   #38

Looks like the original posters simple question isn't so simple after all. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 30-01-2015, 11:42   #39

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Its not against the law to go to Cuba.
Old 30-01-2015, 11:49   #40

Boat: 1947 Hinckley Sou'wester

Perhaps this may allay your fears if you are I presume sailing into Cuba. Perhaps and preferably from another location other than the US prior to your arrival. We, on an American/US manufactured and registered vessel, sailed from Dom Republic to Cuba and entered Santiago de Cuba on the southern coast. We had heard from many other cruisers and from our research that there was not to be any problem what so ever especially as a visitor. SO apprehension aside we entered and tied up to the jetty of what they call the yacht club which we did, and were to stay aboard the boat until customs and inspectors from 3 different departments had had there fairly thorough inspection of all of our goods and food stuffs and secured our liquor cab with a wire etc. They inspected all of our documents and passports, some American and some Australian, and were cleared when we were finally told to go to the immigration officer who would review our passports again to issue the visas. For the Americans they put the visa (a single piece of official document stating we had permission for I think 2 weeks)in the passport and refrained from stamping ours but did stamp the Aussies. They had documents stating they had international health insurance and I did not; so I had to purchase 2 weeks of health insurance which I think came to around a hundred bucks. The whole process took nearly 8 hours. The others went off to Havana on a bus and I rented a car and drove soueasterly to the end of the island and up into the rain forest.....All was phenomenally beautiful and in some ways up setting to see so many people with nary I hope of anything too aspirational but their spirit overall incredibly strong. I will return and enter the next time through the North into Havana's Hemingway Marina regardless of American protocol. The Cubans were overall extremely friendly and welcoming in all regards. It seems though that the rest of the world is and has been there for decades. They want our money and tourism but not too much of it to be brought into the country. They even asked me how much cash I had on hand and I stated 10 k and thought that there was even going to be a problem with that. Because one very bold inspector said for us to leave all of our wallets in side the boat and for us to go above deck. We refused with deference in fear that the cash would have disappeared. He did back off fortunately. So who knows what would have happened. Have fun in Cuba!!
Lodbrog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 12:07   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Its not against the law to go to Cuba.
If you want to play semantics then no it is not technically "against the law". However until recently it is 100% certain that travel by US citizens or permanent residents was restricted and allowed only by special permit. Current situation is still a bit unclear and from all available information the restrictions are seriously relaxed and will not be enforced.

Yes I know several people that went and do not know anyone personally that suffered any consequences but the possible penalties on the books include large fines and confiscation of your boat.

Now if you favor passive resistance to rules and regulations you do not personally agree with then fine. Do what you like but accept the consequences if they come. I do think it highly irresponsible to counsel others to do the same without full disclosure of all issues.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 13:19   #42

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
There's a little more to it than that. You also have to have the documentation, and retain it for some period (five years, I believe). So, in essence, you have to go through all the steps that you had to go through previously, except that you no longer have to actually submit your paperwork and wait for a response.

My concern is over the requirement that you retain the paperwork. Why would you have to do that? Obviously because at some point in the future you might be required to present it for review. And what if, at that time, they decide that your reason was not adequate? Obama is only going to be President through 2016. It is entirely possible that the next President will have a completely different attitude about this.

It seems to me that, at this point, the whole thing is just a mess waiting to bite someone in the backside.
I think some of you are taking yourselves way too serious. The Government does not care what you are doing in Cuba unless it is subversive or illegal. Our prisons are already way too full for you.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 13:44   #43

I'm just a simple citizen but last I checked congress sets the laws , tariffs and embargos, and Herr Obama proclamation means crap, Stay out if you want to stay legal. But if you are in the habit of not following laws, go for it and let us know how a 50 year old peoples collective and slum looks like!

I bet its a swell place that's why people risk their lives to leave! Me, I'll be in an air-conditioned bar watching ESPN.
aisling222 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 13:45   #44
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

I don't agree with all laws, don't think all cops are honest, don't think travel to Cuba should be restricted. But to call all police crooks and worse is at best disingenuous.
Somewhat surprising that he apparently enjoys visiting Cuba so frequently, given the fact that it is one of the most heavily-policed nations on the planet ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I think some of you are taking yourselves way too serious. The Government does not care what you are doing in Cuba unless it is subversive or illegal. Our prisons are already way too full for you.
However, that is not to say that the US Treasury is already "way too full", and that OFAC might not still be tempted to exact their pound of flesh from an American cruiser they may suspect may have visited without meeting the current guidelines... A bit too early to rule that possibility out, it seems to me...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 13:47   #45

Rather than the charts read the constitution!
Now many do anymore!
aisling222 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Cuba, license