Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 19:40   #16

Boat: Lafitte 44
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
OK guys…….
As politically charged as this topic is, throwing stones at the politics involved accomplishes nothing. Please stick to the facts and skip the rhetoric……. from either the left or right

But throwing stones at politicians can

Couldn't resist.
Old 29-01-2015, 19:56   #17

In 2002 I wanted to go to Cuba with a friend. we went to the proper authorities in Key West, and they gave us a paper to fill out. I wasnt too restrictive and was just one page so we filled it out and WENT TO CUBA. We gor there at night and were met about 5 miles out by a guard boat with guns all over it. They talked to us on the radio but they spoke Spanish and we couldn't. They finally called the shore and got an interpreter to talk to us. They told us there was no problem but to go to a certain GPS location. they kind of followed us in for a couple of miles and then went somewhere else. we went to the Gps location and it was the entrance to a marina. There was a lady waiting for us and told us where to tie up. Then she said do not leave the boat untill we check you in, in the morning. they teated us just fine and gave us freedom to go where ever we wanted. To make it short we loved the people and were treated well all the time we were there the only thing we didn't like was we could not draw money from our home bank accounts. mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 29-01-2015, 20:44   #18

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Assume this was meant as humor but just to make a point that is the exact opposite of my experience with Germans whether in Germany or abroad, including the Caribbean.
Yes it was meant in jest... I was there recently and many Germans were grumbling how the Americans are going to wreck Cuba for them. The reason they say this, is for the last 5-7 years, the Germans have been buying up real estate in Cuba fairly cheap. Americans are definitely going to change that market.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 05:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
The quick down and dirty appears to be one no longer has to apply for a license to travel there, just ensure that the purpose fits.
There's a little more to it than that. You also have to have the documentation, and retain it for some period (five years, I believe). So, in essence, you have to go through all the steps that you had to go through previously, except that you no longer have to actually submit your paperwork and wait for a response.

My concern is over the requirement that you retain the paperwork. Why would you have to do that? Obviously because at some point in the future you might be required to present it for review. And what if, at that time, they decide that your reason was not adequate? Obama is only going to be President through 2016. It is entirely possible that the next President will have a completely different attitude about this.

It seems to me that, at this point, the whole thing is just a mess waiting to bite someone in the backside.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 05:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
In 2002 I wanted to go to Cuba with a friend. we went to the proper authorities in Key West, and they gave us a paper to fill out. I wasnt too restrictive and was just one page so we filled it out and WENT TO CUBA. We gor there at night and were met about 5 miles out by a guard boat with guns all over it. They talked to us on the radio but they spoke Spanish and we couldn't. They finally called the shore and got an interpreter to talk to us. They told us there was no problem but to go to a certain GPS location. they kind of followed us in for a couple of miles and then went somewhere else. we went to the Gps location and it was the entrance to a marina. There was a lady waiting for us and told us where to tie up. Then she said do not leave the boat untill we check you in, in the morning. they teated us just fine and gave us freedom to go where ever we wanted. To make it short we loved the people and were treated well all the time we were there the only thing we didn't like was we could not draw money from our home bank accounts. mac
Thanks, mac. It seems when it's people to people interactions, there are usually no problems. It's only when political leaders get involved we end up hating each other.

I predict it won't be long before we see Cuba become another vacation destination, like it was before, kind of a Vegas in the ocean. There's too much money on the table to resist.
Old 30-01-2015, 07:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Thanks, mac. It seems when it's people to people interactions, there are usually no problems. It's only when political leaders get involved we end up hating each other.

I predict it won't be long before we see Cuba become another vacation destination, like it was before, kind of a Vegas in the ocean. There's too much money on the table to resist.
Seeing how the US is the only country that restricts travel there now, why is it not a vacation destination like it was before, at present?

Do you think, for instance, that the BVI's, or Antigua, or Saint Barts, would be poverty stricken if Americans couldn't visit there?
Old 30-01-2015, 07:22   #22

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Going to Cuba is not that difficult, nor is it a big deal, but it can be if not done correctly. First, dont roll into Havana like you would do in the Bahamas.
Second, find an alternate port to make land fall, the smaller and further from the big cities the better.
Third, you will have to grease the local officials, this is a 3rd world country, not disneyland.
Forth, grease the DM first, and make a friend, things will go so easy.
Lastly, dont look and act like tourist, keep low key and look poor.

I go to cuba at least 3x a year for the past 6 years, and never check in or out with US Immigtration. I just go have fun and come back. I was stopped once near Key West, and I just told the Coastie, I had been out to Fort Jefferson.
Old 30-01-2015, 07:24   #23

So if the local newspaper will give you a pass that says Journalista" does that suffice?

Ive not been to Cuba but I did drive through Nicaragua not long after the war there ended. I found the people to be far nicer to me than I would have been to them had their gubmint done to my country what my gubmint did to theirs.

The Hispanics are pretty tolerant people, unlike so many Americans.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 07:26   #24

We sailed the South coast of Cuba saw several US flagged vessels ....they didn't
have licenses or visas ... two that we talked to didn't enter the trip on their log
We were there for 7 weeks and were treated respectfully ... we were searched
but the customs wouldn't enter a cabin unless we were there . I never felt nervous as I do with USA officials
jupiow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 07:29   #25

"We were there for 7 weeks and were treated respectfully ... we were searched
but the customs wouldn't enter a cabin unless we were there . I never felt nervous as I do with USA officials"

+1
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 07:31   #26

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I've been trying to figure this out myself. To the best of my ability to interpret what I read from the Treasury and other government website I think this is what current rules are supposed to be.

Technically one still must adhere to the existing restrictions on travel to Cuba IE travel is only allowed for cultural, educational, journalism, research, etc, etc, etc. reasons. However one will no longer have to apply for a permit in advance (a permit that in practice was almost never granted unless you are anchorperson for CBS or doing research at Harvard on tropical diseases). Instead, fill in the forms with a reason that is appropriate under the restrictions and go.

The latest official information I have found posted is here.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...a_faqs_new.pdf
skipmac is absolutely correct. All restrictions are still in place and it is still illegal for U.S. citizens to travel to Cuba for tourism. If you go by boat, no matter what exemption you choose, you are considered a tourist and are prohibited. The license is not longer required but you must keep precise records of your itinerary and they must meet the requirements for the exemption. Those records must be kept for 5 years. There are no scheduled airlines to Cuba at this time, from the U.S., flights are all charters and will mostly be groups traveling under the General Exemptions. While it is now being done on the honor system, nothing has changed as far as travel except the requirement to file for a license and wait for approval. Yesterday, a bill was propose in the senate to lift all travel restrictions. That is the only way the restrictions themselves can be removed. Hope this helps clarify. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 07:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Going to Cuba is not that difficult, nor is it a big deal, but it can be if not done correctly. First, dont roll into Havana like you would do in the Bahamas.
Second, find an alternate port to make land fall, the smaller and further from the big cities the better.
Third, you will have to grease the local officials, this is a 3rd world country, not disneyland.
Forth, grease the DM first, and make a friend, things will go so easy.
Lastly, dont look and act like tourist, keep low key and look poor.

I go to cuba at least 3x a year for the past 6 years, and never check in or out with US Immigtration. I just go have fun and come back. I was stopped once near Key West, and I just told the Coastie, I had been out to Fort Jefferson.
This is really some bad advise. First you are suggesting that someone should break the law and it's OK. Each will have to decide for themselves if this is worth the risk, no matter how small. Secondly it is illegal to "grease the official" in Cuba, for both the official and the "greaser" punishable by prison, no trial or lawyers involved. So if you "grease' the wrong palm you pay the consequences. In clearing in and out of every port along the south coast we were never ask for gifts or money, although we always offered snacks and drinks, including a beer. It was always accepted. But most importantly you are setting a precedent for every boater that follows. In many harbors, those are known as the ugly Americans by every other boater, including other Americans. We have never been ask for a bribe or "gift" in any port we have been in until someone starting giving "tips for clearing in and out. Once it starts it's hard to put a stop to. Susan's chocolate chip cookies usually meet the criteria for a little something extra. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 30-01-2015, 07:43   #28
Eternal Member

Quote:

Going to Cuba is not that difficult, nor is it a big deal, but it can be if not done correctly.

Uhhh, those two points would appear to be somewhat in conflict...

Not sure I'd be boasting about that on the internet, either, but perhaps that's just me...

:-))

Quote:
Ther are only 4 official ports of entry on Cuba's north coast... Are you saying you always sail further East than Varadero, all the way to Cayo Guillermo/Coco or Puerto Vita, before checking in?
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 30-01-2015, 07:46   #29

Not to mention that failing to clear in with Homeland Security upon entering the United States or lying to Customs and Immigration is a Federal Offense. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 30-01-2015, 08:08   #30

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

All I can say to that is, I dont live in fear of what may or may not happen. I live life, and accept the consequences that comes from my choices.

Some sheep like to live by the rules of men, it gives them security, and lessens their fear if they obey the rules. They live their lives, following the rules some asshat made up for shits and giggles.

If you have never sailed to cuba and back to the usa, then you dont know jack about what you are talking about. I have been there and done that, all you have is talking about something you have no experience. Just talk. ;-)

What business is it of some government hack to question my traveling. Ever heard of the right and freedom of movement

Tags
Cuba, license