Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 18:04   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 112
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Yes, simple answer, and no, Americans can go anywhere they choose, from a constitutional lawyer. The US Congress has a law that precludes travel to Cuba from the US by anyone. The executive branch of the US Legal system has enforced the Cuban embargo off and on to varying degrees since President Kennedy. Fact - many people travel by personal US registered boats to and from Cuba with no consequence.

Rumor- no one has been compelled to surrender their boat belongings or money because they travelled to Cuba. All firsthand reports indicate that Cubans private and official are very accommodating, like foreigners and really try to welcome visitors.

I have tried to get a CFAC permit/license and have been snubbed. I still have a request pending (my category). I will go this spring with or with out.
__________________

__________________
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 31-01-2015, 23:03   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 412
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Responders to this question use a lot of they's, Please identify who "they" is or are. If you are talking about the Cubans they don't give a damn what you do. Show up ,clear in like every other place in the world, spend some Yankee Dollars and be on your way. The Cubans will stamp a blank piece of paper (rather than your pass port) as an exit visa. You can throw it away, keep it as a souvenir or whatever. This is what the Israelis do so you won't have an Israeli stamp in your passport in case you want to travel to an Arab country later. If by "they" you mean the US, who cares, just don't tell them. They probably won't do anything anyway.
__________________

__________________
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 00:03   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 82
Exclamation Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

as a rule when I travel, I never visit communist countries, too risky. Look how mahy people are held for just their religion. That's enough of a red flag for me, no pun intended.
__________________
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18   #49
Registered User
 
WindLove's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wherever Sarah takes me but based in VA/Chesapeake
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 69
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Wow...thanks for all of the replies. I said in my header "simple question" and obviously it isn't. It sounds like a license is not technically required, but I have to have the exception reason and keep records. That sounds a little vague for me and my cautious nature.

My question now is, iff I apply for a real license through the US treasury, will they still process it and give me a real license (or deny it.)? Or is the license process null and void now?
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there..
WindLove is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13   #50
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Wow...thanks for all of the replies. I said in my header "simple question" and obviously it isn't. It sounds like a license is not technically required, but I have to have the exception reason and keep records. That sounds a little vague for me and my cautious nature.

My question now is, iff I apply for a real license through the US treasury, will they still process it and give me a real license (or deny it.)? Or is the license process null and void now?
Under the new General Categories, there is no license to apply for anymore. You are either qualified to travel or not. So if you want to stay within the current laws, and you qualify, then go. But keep in mind that none of this applies to traveling on a boat. If you want to take your chances on violating the current law, go for it. If you don't qualify or don't want to break the law, find another cruising destination until things change. It really isn't all that complicated. Here is an FAQ put out by the Treasury Dept., http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...a_faqs_new.pdf . Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 09:20   #51
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFORSAIL View Post
Yes, simple answer, and no, Americans can go anywhere they choose, from a constitutional lawyer. The US Congress has a law that precludes travel to Cuba from the US by anyone. The executive branch of the US Legal system has enforced the Cuban embargo off and on to varying degrees since President Kennedy. Fact - many people travel by personal US registered boats to and from Cuba with no consequence.

Rumor- no one has been compelled to surrender their boat belongings or money because they travelled to Cuba.
Sure, but it's not like the US authorities haven't tried... ;-)

Quote:
Federal prosecutors charged two Key West residents with violating the trade embargo against Cuba by organizing sailboat races to Havana.

KEY WEST - In the first case of its kind against pleasure boaters, federal prosecutors on Thursday charged the organizers of several Key West-Cuba sailboat races with violating the U.S. embargo.



Peter Goldsmith, 55, and Michele Geslin, 56, could each face up to 15 years in prison. They are accused of acting as ''travel service providers'' without first obtaining a license from the U.S. Department of Treasury, which regulates the 42-year embargo against Cuba.



While Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control has levied a number of civil penalties upon tourists and other individuals who have illegally spent money in Cuba, criminal prosecutions are not common.


After the fall of the Soviet Union, Goldsmith and Geslin promoted, organized, and administered a series of boat races between Key West and Cuba in 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2003, according to a two-count indictment released Thursday, providing dollars to Castro regime.



The federal government has prosecuted cases against alleged unauthorized Cuba travel service providers twice before -- in 1988, against a Texas man who touted bass fishing trips to the island, and in 1996, against a Naples travel company.



Boaters charged over race to Cuba
Sure, the case was eventually dropped... Not after those charged had likely incurred some considerable legal expenses in defending themselves...

I've had 2 delivery clients who received those letters from the State Department months after their return from Cuba, threatening them with fines. Both were complete with photographs of their boats sitting in Marina Hemingway. (Doesn't take too long, before one can recognize 'The Mole' who wanders about the premises on a daily basis ;-)) Dealing with the inquiry from OFAC can be tricky, because it amounts to basically having to prove that you did NOT spend any money there, not an easy thing to accomplish... One of the guys was fortunate enough to be able to offer proof that one of his crew was the holder of a foreign passport, and thus could claim that he had "hosted" the trip... The other one, not so easy, and I believe he had to enlist the services of his attorney to help dig him out...

You're correct in that the Likelihood of facing any serious difficulty is probably very small, nowadays. Certainly, if you're someone like Tommy Hilfiger, you're home free: His 170' Benetti motoryacht TOMMY sat in Marina Hemingway for weeks on end during the winter I was there. But based upon my experience sailing to Cuba as an American, however, I'm still not prepared to advise anyone else that such a possibility is non-existent, that seems like something only each individual can decide for themselves... ;-)
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 09:54   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 104
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
So the people who catch people breaking the law, are the bad guys in your world? I know your world.
I think that depends upon the laws. Some laws are reasonable an put in place for good purpose. Others, not so much. While I respect the good ones, I have always had problems bowing to those who would only say "I was just following orders." I prefer a mind that can think itself.

I still do not see an answer to my question, and there may not be one at this point, regarding journalistic travel to Cuba. I would love to go and do an in depth story.
__________________
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 10:25   #53
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

We just did a blog post to try and answer some of the questions that are out there online... Can I now take my boat and legally cruise to Cuba if I'm a U.S. citizen? That's the question everyone is asking. There's a lot of misinformation out there, so we try and answer that question for you and explain how things currently stand,
The Trawler Beach House: Can I Take My Boat to Cuba?
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28   #54
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,375
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
I think that depends upon the laws. Some laws are reasonable an put in place for good purpose. Others, not so much. While I respect the good ones, I have always had problems bowing to those who would only say "I was just following orders." I prefer a mind that can think itself.

I still do not see an answer to my question, and there may not be one at this point, regarding journalistic travel to Cuba. I would love to go and do an in depth story.
Hi Sniper,

If you read the links to the Dept of Treasury web site posted previously you will see that journalism is one of the accepted reasons for approved travel to Cuba.

However you would need to show some credentials or past work to prove this or you would be in violation. Just saying you want to write an article but without any previous job or freelance sales would not really fulfill the requirements.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 10:39   #55
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,375
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We just did a blog post to try and answer some of the questions that are out there online... Can I now take my boat and legally cruise to Cuba if I'm a U.S. citizen? That's the question everyone is asking. There's a lot of misinformation out there, so we try and answer that question for you and explain how things currently stand,
The Trawler Beach House: Can I Take My Boat to Cuba?

Hi Chuck,

I just read through the post on your web site. Excellent!!

That is by far the most sane and, to the best of my knowledge, most accurate summary of the current situation I have seen.

Anyone with any further questions, go read Chuck's post. All will be answered.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 10:45   #56
Registered User
 
WindLove's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wherever Sarah takes me but based in VA/Chesapeake
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 69
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
But keep in mind that none of this applies to traveling on a boat. If you want to take your chances on violating the current law, go for it. If you don't qualify or don't want to break the law, find another cruising destination until things change.


Maybe you are right on that Anchorage Guy, but I haven't seen where the mode of travel to Cuba is addressed by the US Treasury. Am I missing something. If I qualify and choose to go there by boat, does that somehow disqualify me?
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there..
WindLove is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21   #57
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 104
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We just did a blog post to try and answer some of the questions that are out there online... Can I now take my boat and legally cruise to Cuba if I'm a U.S. citizen? That's the question everyone is asking. There's a lot of misinformation out there, so we try and answer that question for you and explain how things currently stand,
The Trawler Beach House: Can I Take My Boat to Cuba?

Thanks, AG, and thanks to the person who posted about the T. Dept. info.
__________________
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 12:04   #58
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Maybe you are right on that Anchorage Guy, but I haven't seen where the mode of travel to Cuba is addressed by the US Treasury. Am I missing something. If I qualify and choose to go there by boat, does that somehow disqualify me?
Yes it does. If you read the blog post then you read the quote from the CFR's regarding the transport of individulas by a vessel. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 12:09   #59
Marine Service Provider
 
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,618
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Chuck,

I just read through the post on your web site. Excellent!!

That is by far the most sane and, to the best of my knowledge, most accurate summary of the current situation I have seen.

Anyone with any further questions, go read Chuck's post. All will be answered.
Thanks for the kind words. That was our intent, so I guess mission accomplished. I am sure there will some that might want to argue the points, but the facts are the facts and those are the facts. Chuck
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2015, 11:58   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Enkhuizen, NL
Boat: Pearson 36-1
Posts: 330
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

I am an American living in Germany. Most Germans like Americans, just not some of our presidents.
__________________

__________________
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

Tags
Cuba, license

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
License Required? mkjhartmann Training, Licensing & Certification 8 08-08-2014 08:46
No Boat License Required, Trip to Other Countrys and Visa Question Proxor General Sailing Forum 4 10-08-2013 16:20
Required Radio License for EU waters chrismin Our Community 9 09-01-2013 11:01
Required License(s) for Operating a Crewed Charter? cbcat Training, Licensing & Certification 11 09-03-2010 08:25
A license should be required... GreatKetch Construction, Maintenance & Refit 20 27-11-2007 05:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.