Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-01-2015, 18:04   #46

Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

Yes, simple answer, and no, Americans can go anywhere they choose, from a constitutional lawyer. The US Congress has a law that precludes travel to Cuba from the US by anyone. The executive branch of the US Legal system has enforced the Cuban embargo off and on to varying degrees since President Kennedy. Fact - many people travel by personal US registered boats to and from Cuba with no consequence.

Rumor- no one has been compelled to surrender their boat belongings or money because they travelled to Cuba. All firsthand reports indicate that Cubans private and official are very accommodating, like foreigners and really try to welcome visitors.

I have tried to get a CFAC permit/license and have been snubbed. I still have a request pending (my category). I will go this spring with or with out.

Old 31-01-2015, 23:03   #47

Responders to this question use a lot of they's, Please identify who "they" is or are. If you are talking about the Cubans they don't give a damn what you do. Show up ,clear in like every other place in the world, spend some Yankee Dollars and be on your way. The Cubans will stamp a blank piece of paper (rather than your pass port) as an exit visa. You can throw it away, keep it as a souvenir or whatever. This is what the Israelis do so you won't have an Israeli stamp in your passport in case you want to travel to an Arab country later. If by "they" you mean the US, who cares, just don't tell them. They probably won't do anything anyway.

Old 01-02-2015, 00:03   #48

Exclamation Re: Cuba - simple question. Is a license required now or not?

as a rule when I travel, I never visit communist countries, too risky. Look how mahy people are held for just their religion. That's enough of a red flag for me, no pun intended.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:18   #49

Boat: Bavaria 36

Wow...thanks for all of the replies. I said in my header "simple question" and obviously it isn't. It sounds like a license is not technically required, but I have to have the exception reason and keep records. That sounds a little vague for me and my cautious nature.

My question now is, iff I apply for a real license through the US treasury, will they still process it and give me a real license (or deny it.)? Or is the license process null and void now?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Wow...thanks for all of the replies. I said in my header "simple question" and obviously it isn't. It sounds like a license is not technically required, but I have to have the exception reason and keep records. That sounds a little vague for me and my cautious nature.

My question now is, iff I apply for a real license through the US treasury, will they still process it and give me a real license (or deny it.)? Or is the license process null and void now?
Under the new General Categories, there is no license to apply for anymore. You are either qualified to travel or not. So if you want to stay within the current laws, and you qualify, then go. But keep in mind that none of this applies to traveling on a boat. If you want to take your chances on violating the current law, go for it. If you don't qualify or don't want to break the law, find another cruising destination until things change. It really isn't all that complicated. Here is an FAQ put out by the Treasury Dept., http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...a_faqs_new.pdf . Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 09:20   #51
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFORSAIL View Post
Yes, simple answer, and no, Americans can go anywhere they choose, from a constitutional lawyer. The US Congress has a law that precludes travel to Cuba from the US by anyone. The executive branch of the US Legal system has enforced the Cuban embargo off and on to varying degrees since President Kennedy. Fact - many people travel by personal US registered boats to and from Cuba with no consequence.

Rumor- no one has been compelled to surrender their boat belongings or money because they travelled to Cuba.
Sure, but it's not like the US authorities haven't tried... ;-)

Quote:
Federal prosecutors charged two Key West residents with violating the trade embargo against Cuba by organizing sailboat races to Havana.

KEY WEST - In the first case of its kind against pleasure boaters, federal prosecutors on Thursday charged the organizers of several Key West-Cuba sailboat races with violating the U.S. embargo.

Peter Goldsmith, 55, and Michele Geslin, 56, could each face up to 15 years in prison. They are accused of acting as ''travel service providers'' without first obtaining a license from the U.S. Department of Treasury, which regulates the 42-year embargo against Cuba.

While Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control has levied a number of civil penalties upon tourists and other individuals who have illegally spent money in Cuba, criminal prosecutions are not common.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, Goldsmith and Geslin promoted, organized, and administered a series of boat races between Key West and Cuba in 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2003, according to a two-count indictment released Thursday, providing dollars to Castro regime.

The federal government has prosecuted cases against alleged unauthorized Cuba travel service providers twice before -- in 1988, against a Texas man who touted bass fishing trips to the island, and in 1996, against a Naples travel company.

Boaters charged over race to Cuba
Sure, the case was eventually dropped... Not after those charged had likely incurred some considerable legal expenses in defending themselves...

I've had 2 delivery clients who received those letters from the State Department months after their return from Cuba, threatening them with fines. Both were complete with photographs of their boats sitting in Marina Hemingway. (Doesn't take too long, before one can recognize 'The Mole' who wanders about the premises on a daily basis ;-)) Dealing with the inquiry from OFAC can be tricky, because it amounts to basically having to prove that you did NOT spend any money there, not an easy thing to accomplish... One of the guys was fortunate enough to be able to offer proof that one of his crew was the holder of a foreign passport, and thus could claim that he had "hosted" the trip... The other one, not so easy, and I believe he had to enlist the services of his attorney to help dig him out...

You're correct in that the Likelihood of facing any serious difficulty is probably very small, nowadays. Certainly, if you're someone like Tommy Hilfiger, you're home free: His 170' Benetti motoryacht TOMMY sat in Marina Hemingway for weeks on end during the winter I was there. But based upon my experience sailing to Cuba as an American, however, I'm still not prepared to advise anyone else that such a possibility is non-existent, that seems like something only each individual can decide for themselves... ;-)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:54   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
So the people who catch people breaking the law, are the bad guys in your world? I know your world.
I think that depends upon the laws. Some laws are reasonable an put in place for good purpose. Others, not so much. While I respect the good ones, I have always had problems bowing to those who would only say "I was just following orders." I prefer a mind that can think itself.

I still do not see an answer to my question, and there may not be one at this point, regarding journalistic travel to Cuba. I would love to go and do an in depth story.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:25   #53
Marine Service Provider

We just did a blog post to try and answer some of the questions that are out there online... Can I now take my boat and legally cruise to Cuba if I'm a U.S. citizen? That's the question everyone is asking. There's a lot of misinformation out there, so we try and answer that question for you and explain how things currently stand,
The Trawler Beach House: Can I Take My Boat to Cuba?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
I think that depends upon the laws. Some laws are reasonable an put in place for good purpose. Others, not so much. While I respect the good ones, I have always had problems bowing to those who would only say "I was just following orders." I prefer a mind that can think itself.

I still do not see an answer to my question, and there may not be one at this point, regarding journalistic travel to Cuba. I would love to go and do an in depth story.
Hi Sniper,

If you read the links to the Dept of Treasury web site posted previously you will see that journalism is one of the accepted reasons for approved travel to Cuba.

However you would need to show some credentials or past work to prove this or you would be in violation. Just saying you want to write an article but without any previous job or freelance sales would not really fulfill the requirements.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:39   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
We just did a blog post to try and answer some of the questions that are out there online... Can I now take my boat and legally cruise to Cuba if I'm a U.S. citizen? That's the question everyone is asking. There's a lot of misinformation out there, so we try and answer that question for you and explain how things currently stand,

Hi Chuck,

I just read through the post on your web site. Excellent!!

That is by far the most sane and, to the best of my knowledge, most accurate summary of the current situation I have seen.

Anyone with any further questions, go read Chuck's post. All will be answered.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:45   #56

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
But keep in mind that none of this applies to traveling on a boat. If you want to take your chances on violating the current law, go for it. If you don't qualify or don't want to break the law, find another cruising destination until things change.

Maybe you are right on that Anchorage Guy, but I haven't seen where the mode of travel to Cuba is addressed by the US Treasury. Am I missing something. If I qualify and choose to go there by boat, does that somehow disqualify me?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21   #57

Quote:

Thanks, AG, and thanks to the person who posted about the T. Dept. info.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:04   #58
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Maybe you are right on that Anchorage Guy, but I haven't seen where the mode of travel to Cuba is addressed by the US Treasury. Am I missing something. If I qualify and choose to go there by boat, does that somehow disqualify me?
Yes it does. If you read the blog post then you read the quote from the CFR's regarding the transport of individulas by a vessel. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 01-02-2015, 12:09   #59
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Chuck,

I just read through the post on your web site. Excellent!!

That is by far the most sane and, to the best of my knowledge, most accurate summary of the current situation I have seen.

Anyone with any further questions, go read Chuck's post. All will be answered.
Thanks for the kind words. That was our intent, so I guess mission accomplished. I am sure there will some that might want to argue the points, but the facts are the facts and those are the facts. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 02-02-2015, 11:58   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I am an American living in Germany. Most Germans like Americans, just not some of our presidents.

Tags
Cuba, license

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: