Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 15:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Cuba entry...

Need clarification..reading Active Captains..those US citizens sailing to Cuba need to clear in first at Hemingway Marina not Havana..??
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 17:14   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Cuba entry...

Can't help you, but be aware your US bank and credit cards can not be used in Cuba. (Guess how I learned this!). Bring cash!! PM me for more info
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 18:26   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Need clarification..reading Active Captains..those US citizens sailing to Cuba need to clear in first at Hemingway Marina not Havana..??

Pleasure yachts are not permitted in Havana harbor, marina Hemingway is the closest point of entry to Havana but there are others
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 22:56   #4

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

No entry by boat, anywhere in Kuba for any Cuban born that has left the Island, even if person left legally, long ago as a child and has already become a U. S. Citizen !.
Guess their guvnmint opression towards their people, makes their officials afraid that their population may escape hiding in the bilge of a boat.
But, that same Cuban born can come and go at will, if by commercial flight or expensive cruise ship, even if they had escaped or are not a U. S. Citizen or somewhat legal in the U.S.
Find out all the tricks Kuba may have hiding, before you visit that once great "Pearl of the Antilles". Nice people but terrible leaders of the regime.
Hemmingway Marina, not far from Havana Harbor, allows visiting yachts. Bring many electrical parts to make up a way to connect their shore power to your boat just in case. 20A, 30A, 50A, extra wire, connectors, etc. Enjoy the natural beauty, the rest will break your heart.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 04:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ GoCuba.ca
And ➥ Cuban Entry Procedure and Costs – Yacht Pilot Publishing

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 05:50   #6

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Pleasure yachts are not permitted in Havana harbor, marina Hemingway is the closest point of entry to Havana but there are others

I just saw this post. I am trying to find a reference on this or a Port Captain, or Havana Port Operations contact.

I would like to do a loop in Havana Harbor in March without getting arrested.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 04:01   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I doubt you are likely to find a solution remotely, Latin culture is very face to face. Sail down, make nice with officials in Marina Hemmingway, and see what you can work out.

In Cuba you must file a float plan for any vessel movements. You present it to officials and they decide which ports of call are permisable.

Some ports are allowable for day/overnight anchorage, but your movements in the port are very restricted. I suspect Havana Harbor is off limits, but no harm in asking.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba