Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2011, 06:40   #31

Re: Cuba ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
See I am just always confused, I will have to watch the movie again, been awhile..and i read the whole post and just still don't know if i can go to Cuba...maybe i'll try it one day...have to polish up me Spanish! and no it was a Cigarette racing boat right? we can't speak of those type boats? JK...i am new to site and just a goofball so please don't take any offense
yes it was a racing boat...in fact, named Mojo... I can garruntee you that the shots in the movie are staged. I have driven one of those types of go fast in the long past...its not as smooth a ride as the movie would have you think..
Havana is 75 miles from Key West...Miami considerabley more...

It is really clear in the thread but..... to answer your question..NO as a US citizen, without permits that are hard to get,you cannot visit Cuba legally.. at the moment.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 07:07   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

A few days ago I was seated next to a Cuban American on a flight from Quito, Ecuador to Miami and I took the opportunity to ask him about the attitudes of the Cuban community in Miami concerning the relationship between the US and Cuba and the travel restrictions. This man, not unlike many others, rowed a small dinghy from Cuba to the US in 1963 and had suffered through killings of his family members and companions. He not only favors the US embargo, but suggested that the economic support from the Europeans and Canadians continues to allow corruption, abuse, suffering and prostitution to be pervasive within Cuba. This opinion of the large and politically active Cuban community in South Florida continues to have a greater influence than the cruising plans of our sailing community. I would also love to cruise to all that Cuba has to offer, but there is a great mix of good and bad reasons for the US policy and there is no thoughtfull simplistic answer.
Old 24-12-2011, 07:58   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
A few days ago I was seated next to a Cuban American on a flight from Quito, Ecuador to Miami and I took the opportunity to ask him about the attitudes of the Cuban community in Miami concerning the relationship between the US and Cuba and the travel restrictions.
[...]
suggested that the economic support from the Europeans and Canadians continues to allow corruption, abuse, suffering and prostitution to be pervasive within Cuba.

Betcha he lives in Miami... bet ya there's no corruption, abuse, suffering nor prostitution in the Cuban community there mwahahaha.

Politics politics... wants his family estates in Cuba back maybe? Nobody ever wonders why the Cuban people overthrew their government with their revolution and who were the ones fleeing?

Live and let live. Okay with me to blame Canadians and Europeans

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 06:38   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Betcha he lives in Miami... bet ya there's no corruption, abuse, suffering nor prostitution in the Cuban community there mwahahaha.

Politics politics... wants his family estates in Cuba back maybe? Nobody ever wonders why the Cuban people overthrew their government with their revolution and who were the ones fleeing?

Live and let live. Okay with me to blame Canadians and Europeans

cheers,
Nick.
Sure, you're right too! That's why ..."there is no thoughtful simplistic answer".
Old 27-12-2011, 08:01   #35
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Would you want someone's views of the USA to be defined by people who abandoned it, are unwelcome back, and want to overthrow the government?
Old 27-12-2011, 08:53   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

For those that do not want closer relations with Cuba, can you remember detente?

Eventually it was part of the decline of communism in Russia, and an altering of what communism is in China.

Coincidence?
Old 27-12-2011, 12:40   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Would you want someone's views of the USA to be defined by people who abandoned it, are unwelcome back, and want to overthrow the government?
Not to mention have "sold" Cuba, according to that article in Fla Trend mag, to the very interests who help create the climate that fostered and encouraged the revolution to begin with.

Pretty much every article I have read from political analysts and economists, state that had the US lifted its embargo at least 20 yrs ago, or never even put one on to begin with. Castro would have long ago been history. I find it reprehensible that a small, but very vocal, minority feels it has the right to influence and dictate to the rest of the American public a foreign policy that is clearly an abysmal failure..
ymmv
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 13:53   #38

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41
Quote:
Originally Posted by capstan
It's none of ICEs business who is ARRIVING in the Bahamas. But that never stopped the US from interfering in the business of other countries.
It's ICE's job to pre-clear US citizens making 'out & back' jaunts to nearby countries. US customs is allowed ( by the host nation) to up shop in the foreign port. So, it IS their business. Welcome to the post-911 world.
CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:07   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDana View Post
It's ICE's job to pre-clear US citizens making 'out & back' jaunts to nearby countries. US customs is allowed ( by the host nation) to up shop in the foreign port. So, it IS their business. Welcome to the post-911 world.
Actually, ICE or it's equivalent has been pre-clearing travelers from Canadian airports for at least 20 years, much before 9/11.

It is actually a convenience that speeds things up, from the traveler's point of view.
Old 27-12-2011, 17:29   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce

Sure, you're right too! That's why ..."there is no thoughtful simplistic answer".
Of course there is, there's no justification to continue to impose any restrictions on Cuba, there really never was and there certainly isn't now. The thoughtful simplistic answer is to establish normal diplomatic decisions, just like the Europeans, Canadians and many other countries have.

Dave
Old 28-12-2011, 07:20   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

If Cuba had played it's cards "right", could have become a Haiti.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If Cuba had played it's cards "right", could have become a Haiti.
So true! I have a dergree in Political Science and would love to go there and talk to people Fidel Castro is a man I would have loved to talk to. I am not sure about his mind now. I disagree with him but have a great deal of respect for him. Even with the embargo his country is much better than the other half of the island. I find the situation very interesting and would love to go talk to the people and the leaders.

As far as sailing it is not worth the hassel to me.
3dubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:34   #43
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dubs View Post
Even with the embargo his country is much better than the other half of the island.
I think you may be thinking of the Dominican Republic .....the only non-Castro part of Cuba is Guantanomo (sp!) bay.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:37   #44
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dubs View Post
Even with the embargo his country is much better than the other half of the island.
Time for a little topology lesson: Cuba is the biggest island in the Caribbean and only shared with the USA who "lease" Guantanamo Bay from them.

You are mixing it up with Republica Dominica, who shares their island with Haiti; the name of that complete island is Hispaniola, the 2nd biggest island in the Caribbean.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:37   #45

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Dubs,
Since you have a Dergree in political science, you should probably know that Cuba is an island to itself, and the other half of Hispaniola from Haiti is the Dominican Republic. I'm not sure how you can respect a ruthless killer. Which is not to comment on the conditions that caused his coming into power. The only reason he was able to last all these years was by being propped up with military and financial support by other communist countries. Certainly not through the tourism dollars generated from visiting Canadians and Europeans, or industry.

Having said that, I agree that the embargo should be lifted. I would love to visit Cuba, but won't risk my boat by going until the US Govt changes its position.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, cuba