Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:44   #16

Boat: Hermann Lazyjack 32 schooner
Re: Cuba ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Reiter View Post
...is there a statute of limitations on your crime of using U.S. dollars to pay for the fuel and provisions, or are you an international criminal for ever?
The statute of limitations for OFAC, BIS and Customs violations is generally five years.
MikeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 12:30   #17

You can take your chances by flying from the Bahamas and have Cuban Immigrations stamp a post-it note on your passport. ICE is now checking Cuban flights as they arrive in the Bahamas as they also pre clear flights to the USA
LORNE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 20:14   #18

It's none of ICEs business who is ARRIVING in the Bahamas. But that never stopped the US from interfering in the business of other countries.
capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 06:53   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Nigel Calder wrote a cruising guide for Cuba.

Lonely Planet has a recent guide book as well.

After reading through both I have more ambition to go there.

My situation is a bit weird. First of all I am a dual US/Canadian citizen.

Originally I was going to take my boat, Canadian flag, Canadian citizen. Should be no issue.

Recent events may require I take my Wife's boat, US flag. Ah, now that is a new wrinkle.

I am OK to go to Cuba as a Canadian, but I can just see being boarded by the USCG, on a US flag boat, and them not caring a wit about my Canadian citizenship. I don't think arguing the nuances of my citizenship while in custody is a nice way to spend my time.

I have never previously heard of the USCG patrolling and boarding boats going to/from Cuba. Is that a reality?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 07:35   #20

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

We have a CT 43 Mermaid in Varadero, Cuba, great rates, good water and electrical power. Probably about half the cost to keep a boat there than Florida.

Cuban Immigration never stamps any passports from any country unless you ask them to and I can assure you that there are many boats and US citizens in Cuba either at Hemmingway or Varadero. 84 nm to Marathon, about 15 hours but it can be hell if there are Northerlies blowing. Most of these guys do not bother to check in or out of US as there is no evidence documented that they have been to Cuba. I am sure that the US government tracks some vessels departing Cuban waters via satelitte, this only works if there is no cloud cover and do you really think that they have the time to monitor the little traffic coming and going from the north coast. They are more interested in boats coming north from the drug centres further south and any boats I have heard of being intercepted or boarded were coming from somewhere besides Cuba although I am sure that there have been some. Marathon and Key West are the centres for foreign flagged boats and US boats as well travelling from Cuba for provisioning.

Lots of changes occurring in Cuba, but anyone going there should not rely on being able to get anything for repairs, etc. as there is nothing to be had. Searched for a week to find a SS bolt once and finally gave up. You cannot get anything unless you are well connected on this Island. As well food is substandard and hard to get unless you can buy it from the black market supplied by the resorts there. 5 stars in Cuba = 2 stars in NA.

Caution, do not take any fresh meat into Cuba as they will confiscate for themselves. I even heard of 1 Canadian boat having the canned corned beef taken. Immigration must have been really hungry.

Besides, the North coast of Cuba is too cold during winter months and the south coast I hear is more favourable. No problems there as all you need to do is check in at Cayman Islands and you are home free as far as US is concerned. Stay away from Gitmo if you are a US boat.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 09:53   #21

The political wind direction has a lot to do with the success of your trip.
If you're going to Cuba as a Canadian you have no worries ,Mate.
LORNE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 10:39   #22

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I know most people will probably think this is in jest, but I have heard of people traveling to Cuba with a Conch Republic passport, and never having your US passport stamped. Any truth to this? Without having your passport stamped, any way to prove you were there? Maybe that doesn't apply to cruisers, but rather airline passengers or such. Any thoughts?
Nah, Never happened.
BTW that could get you in for it big time. has for at least two boats acutiond by US gov.

dont go any side trips while going from jamica to DR clearing in via nassua and cape canavarial.
Old 17-12-2011, 13:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capstan View Post
It's none of ICEs business who is ARRIVING in the Bahamas. But that never stopped the US from interfering in the business of other countries.
Actually it is... the US and Bahamas have an agreement over checking
flights. I asked an ICE agent recently when transferring from one Airline to fly into the US. They ONLY check US bound flights.
Capstan, unless you approve of criminals and drugs be happy that someone is checking and trying to keep them out of the US.

As for Cuba, the 2004 Executive Order changed the way we could come and go. Initally the law used was the 1918 Trading with Enemies Act. Taking a US flagged vessel to Cuba without Federal approval in the form of whatever they give you.. is seen as "importing" the boat into Cuba... total bs in my book, but them's the facts.. In 2004 GWB signed an Executive order that changed the wording in an effort to stem the flow of money into cuba by the expat community among other things. Anyone remember the 2004 KW to Havana race? I do and I remember that the skippers suffered loss of charts, plotters and a lot more to the Feds... just not worth it.

OTOH, SCOTUS ruled in US vs Fonda (one of several cases lumped together, but Fonda was athe famous one) that it is a violation of the Constitution (what part I forget) to prevent a US citizen from traveling where they will. The rub there, lays in the fact your boat is not covered in that decision.

So you go to Cuba, and the Feds confiscate your boat. While you are fighting them, and eventually winning your case and spending beaucoup bucks in the process. Your boat sits in an impound yard being neglected and or ransacked. By the time you get it back, its not worth beans and the cost to fix it not worth the cost to fix it. We are not talking a few months, but yrs.. IS IT WORTH IT? There are a lot of other places to go... don't get me wrong. I would love to go back to Cuba, esp to dive their reefs.. ymmv
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 13:38   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
OTOH, SCOTUS ruled in US vs Fonda (one of several cases lumped together, but Fonda was athe famous one) that it is a violation of the Constitution (what part I forget) to prevent a US citizen from traveling where they will. The rub there, lays in the fact your boat is not covered in that decision.

So you go to Cuba, and the Feds confiscate your boat. While you are fighting them, and eventually winning your case and spending beaucoup bucks in the process. Your boat sits in an impound yard being neglected and or ransacked. By the time you get it back, its not worth beans and the cost to fix it not worth the cost to fix it. We are not talking a few months, but yrs.. IS IT WORTH IT? There are a lot of other places to go... don't get me wrong. I would love to go back to Cuba, esp to dive their reefs.. ymmv
Confusing situation.

I've asked the question previously, but perhaps the answer is different now, taking the SCOTUS decision into account.

IF I take my non-US registered boat to Cuba, and I am not a US citizen, what is the situation if I take a US friend along?

I know I am OK, my boat is, but what about my friend?
Old 17-12-2011, 15:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Confusing situation.

I've asked the question previously, but perhaps the answer is different now, taking the SCOTUS decision into account.

IF I take my non-US registered boat to Cuba, and I am not a US citizen, what is the situation if I take a US friend along?

I know I am OK, my boat is, but what about my friend?
US citizens need, officially, authorization to go to Cuba.. shrug..IF the coasties stop you... make sure your bud stays below.. you are the captian and you own the boat and the boat is a NON US registered boat.. USCG checks your papers and away you go.. in theory..
I would cross that bridge when I came to it.. I dunno the fascination with cuba its just another island among a LOT of islands to go to. Or is it the "forbidden factor" that makes it so alluring.. lol..

As I said, its a long legal battle that unless someone has real deep pockets I, personally, won't go there. I can find so much more fun to get into..
Old 17-12-2011, 15:26   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
US citizens need, officially, authorization to go to Cuba.. shrug..IF the coasties stop you... make sure your bud stays below.. you are the captian and you own the boat and the boat is a NON US registered boat.. USCG checks your papers and away you go.. in theory..
I would cross that bridge when I came to it.. I dunno the fascination with cuba its just another island among a LOT of islands to go to. Or is it the "forbidden factor" that makes it so alluring.. lol..

As I said, its a long legal battle that unless someone has real deep pockets I, personally, won't go there. I can find so much more fun to get into..
Anyone from here (Canada) whose been there loves the people, loves the timewarp in buildings and cars, and loves the beaches/snorkeling/diving.

The government there? Not so much so, but if you liked Hemingway, I am told, you will love Cuba, the way the Caribbean used to be.
Old 17-12-2011, 15:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
, I am told, you will love Cuba, the way the Caribbean used to be.
Apparently you are unaware of Cuba the way it used to be under Bautista... I am old enough to have been around in 1959. The disparity between haves and have nots was vast.. despite what the Expats would have us believe.
Generally speaking, revolutions happen for a reason... not always but mostly... Castro had the support of the people despite American propaganda otherwise.. Had the US not bowed to a very small voting block and not put an embargo on the country. It has been said numerous times by analysts that Castro more than likely would not have lasted so long...
You might enjoy a PBS special called, "cuba the accidental eden"
Video: Cuba: The Accidental Eden | Watch Nature Online | PBS Video
I am not a supporter of the Castros, nor am I blinded by propaganda put out by the expat cubans.. I am a realist and I have been to cuba.. how recent is my business. Lovely country, great people... fantastic diving.
Old 23-12-2011, 17:11   #28

Boat: Groupe Finot, Steel Sloop, 42'

This Post is confusing and all over the place...In the Movie "Miami Vice" Crockett and that girl simply got on the boat and went down to Cuba just for a Mojito and then came right back...seems easy in the movies...LOL
Old 23-12-2011, 21:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor240 View Post
This Post is confusing and all over the place...In the Movie "Miami Vice" Crockett and that girl simply got on the boat and went down to Cuba just for a Mojito and then came right back...seems easy in the movies...LOL
NO actually he spent the night and most of the next day at least if you pay attention. Next He was driving a go fast...NOT a sailboat.

Exatly what is confusing to you...
Old 23-12-2011, 21:22   #30

Boat: Groupe Finot, Steel Sloop, 42'

See I am just always confused, I will have to watch the movie again, been awhile..and i read the whole post and just still don't know if i can go to Cuba...maybe i'll try it one day...have to polish up me Spanish! and no it was a Cigarette racing boat right? we can't speak of those type boats? JK...i am new to site and just a goofball so please don't take any offense

Tags
Cuba, cuba