Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 20:25   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
Steve Rust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minneapolis MN
Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Posts: 515
Images: 82
Crystal River FL to Georgetown

I will be helping a friend sail his boat from Crystal River to Georgetown sometime in Nov-Dec. The boat is a Roberts 53 sloop with 7 foot draft. I may only have two weeks so does this sound doable in this amount of time. My biggest concern is getting held up waiting for a weather window to cross the Stream. My other thought would be to meet in Miami as to have more time to wait it out. My other thought would be to bail out in Nassau if I run short of time. Any info on typical weather and passage time from Crystal River to Miami this time of year and Miami on to Georgetown would be appreciated. I would be especially interested to get some input from CSY Man .
__________________

__________________
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:16   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Boat: 36 gulfstar
Posts: 68
With a seven foot draft, will you be going through the Okeechobee waterway or around through the Keys?

Richard
__________________

__________________
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:03   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,135
Steve,

Everything depends on the weather. Miami to Nassau can be handily done in 30 hours. If you leave Miami as the wind clocks you can ride that front right to Nassau. Nassau to GT is about 160 miles. You might have to wait for weather in Nassau for the run to GT. One day to get across the White/Yellow Banks and then, if the weather holds, another day to go out into Exuma Sound and down to GT. Waiting for two or three weeks in Miami is not unheard of but with a 53 foot boat your skipper might proceed where smaller boats wouldn't. Having a deadline puts a skipper in an uncomfortable position and might contribute to making a decision to proceed when it would be prudent to sit tight. Having said this, if your two weeks starts when you leave Miami, you have a good shot at making it to GT within that time period.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:19   #4
Registered User
 
Sunspot Baby's Avatar

Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Bern, NC
Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Posts: 1,521
Images: 14
If time is of the essence and the goal is to get the boat to GT in a 2 week window, consider going south through the Keys, then across Cay Sal Bank. There is a route with enough depth south of Andros, across the Tongue of the Ocean, over to Galliot Cut and down to GT.

It will be less sea miles and much faster then going back north as far as Nassau. It will not be a sight seeing trip. It will be several days of standing watches. Maybe you can get one or two others to share the watch.

All this assumes a decent weather window.

George
__________________
She took my address and my name
Put my credit to shame
Sunspot Baby, sure had a real good time
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 21:57   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Steve Rust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minneapolis MN
Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Posts: 515
Images: 82
The intent is to sail direct to Key West from Crystal River, I don't think the Okeechobee was considered a vaible route due to draft. The Cal Sal Bank route was one I had not thought about. I will have to pass that one on to my friend.
__________________
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:00   #6
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58
Ditto with what Sunspot Baby said. Go south of Andros. 2 wks isn't a cakewalk unless the weather favors you. 15' Bahama banks in 25kt winds with cross currents can kick up quite a chop, even for 53'.
__________________
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Steve:
The trip is "doable" ~ but I'm sorry to suggest that you're friend shouldn't absolutely count on you.
1. If you only have 2 specific weeks.
2. And your schedule will determine when your clock starts running, but the weather will determine when the voyage begins.

Then: a significant portion of your alloted time (to this endeavour, not "on earth") could be consumed in waiting for a weather window.

3. Schedules Kill !!!! (Note that the Shuttle has been, once again, delayed - tho' they have ample motivation to go now - they've a space station to complete)

4. I've NEVER accepted a delivery, wherein, either I or the client had a firm schedule. There is no amount of money (I"ve been offered exhorbitant fees) that justifies imprudent scheduling. See (3) above ~ it bears repeating. Notwithstanding, friendship might weight more heavily than mere commerce.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:09   #8
Registered User
 
Sunspot Baby's Avatar

Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Bern, NC
Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Posts: 1,521
Images: 14
Gord's advice is worth heeding.

Remember that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a calendar.

George
__________________
She took my address and my name
Put my credit to shame
Sunspot Baby, sure had a real good time
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 14:01   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West coast of Florida
Posts: 127
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust
The intent is to sail direct to Key West from Crystal River, I don't think the Okeechobee was considered a vaible route due to draft. The Cal Sal Bank route was one I had not thought about. I will have to pass that one on to my friend.
It's not just a water draft issue, either. It is also an "air draft" problem. There is a bridge that has only 48' of vertical along the waterway.
__________________
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 15:46   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
Steve Rust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minneapolis MN
Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Posts: 515
Images: 82
The two week timeframe is somewhat flexible as I am self employed but the downside is I don't get paid when not working. As work stands now I am booked up thur the end of Oct. and then locked into a long term project starting in January. Small projects in Nov-Dec. can be juggled to fit my timeframe.
__________________
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 12:03   #11
Registered User
 
Unicorn Dreams's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Clear Lake Marine Services - Seabrook, Texas
Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Posts: 2,359
I'm glad that someone finally came up with an air draft answer, I guess I won't be going thru okeechobee waterway. 53' clearance. Didn't really want to go that way anyway. Guess I'll just drop down to Marathon and go thru the 7 mile bridge and head to Texas.
Thanks for the info
__________________

__________________
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
georgetown

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SF Bay, Petaluma River to Benicia Craig Harlamoff Pacific & South China Sea 1 30-05-2006 00:01
Melbourne FL CaptainRic Liveaboard's Forum 15 01-05-2006 11:21
Northern Italy and the Po River sara Europe & Mediterranean 2 11-04-2005 08:13
Our trip south from Deale, MD to Fernandina Beach, FL exposure General Sailing Forum 7 22-06-2004 13:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.