Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 21:20   #1

Cruising with Pets

I'm really tired out tonight. I've been making a list of the Caribbean Islands, web sites concerning pet import permits, and emailing the contact on the site or a local embassy. They are all looking for basically the same things, vaccinations, rabies vaccinations, Titre test, and vet certificates. The mind boggling item is the timing. I'm sure the information listed is for people flying in and out of the same island, but what about cruisers?

I'm looking for actual experiences on this subject. Did you really have to get a vet certificate that's less that 7 or 14 days old for each island. I mean did you really have to stop at a vet every time you leave an island and before you arrive at the next? I did get an email from a guy in the BVI and he said that quarantine would not be mandatory since my dog is not a puppy.

Jackie
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 04:11   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Cruising with Pets

The rabies-free islands are intent on keeping it that way, and they can be very strict. We cruised the islands with a cat that never left the boat, so we were never challenged nor required to provide any health documentation. However, when we moved to a home here on Nevis, we had to go through everything you describe, including the ridiculously tight timing, and a quarantine period with weekly health checks by the government vet after we arrived.

A fellow with a dog once told me in Bequia that he had just taken his dog ashore for a potty break, and a Customs officer told him that if he did it again, the dog would be shot. One solution is to train the dog to go on a square of AstroTurf on the foredeck. Tie a line to it so you can toss it overboard and retrieve it. This doesn't answer the question of exercise for the dog, however. There are some islands that don't require all the rigamarole. Martinique is one, but I don't recall the others.
Old 13-11-2011, 05:53   #3

I'm looking to get us cleared so our Golden Retriever can join us on the beach. Not necessarily in town. I did notice that one country's website had different rules for animals that were there temporarily vs a longer stay.

I'm certainly willing to have all the shots, tests and paperwork taken care of. The official I emailed in BVI said quarantine was not mandatory in our case.

I'm just thinking that since most islands have these strict rules, that if I go from island to island over 6 months, and our ships paperwork show that, the officials at the next country will have a more relaxed procedure since each time we're coming from another Caribbean Island.

The steps that would be the most work are vet certificates within 7-14 days of arrival, and some countries want the rabies shot within certain time periods, plus a 24-48hr notification of arrival. I keep thinking these regulations are stated for pets arriving by plane and are cleared at the airport with very definite schedules.

I'm going to continue to pursue my email quest for pet permits, eventually I'll get to present these questions to an official of each country.

Jackie
Old 13-11-2011, 06:31   #4

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

We have traveled with our Maltese for 8 years and have had only one problem in Bermuda when she barked at the Customs agent. We have allways arrived by boat and when asked admitted that we had a pet on board. Never volunteer if not asked. If the pet stays on the boat, no problems are likely. We carry the US govermnet form, a rabies certificate, and the dog has a chip. Some islands do require a rabies titer which is a pain to get. Only one lab in the US does this lab test and it takes weeks to get the results. The English islands tend to be the most difficult and the French islands most forgiving.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 06:42   #5

Thanks. Just a few questions.
Did you file for import permits before arrival? Have to present vet certificates that are 7 - 14 days old? Stuff like that with difficult timing for cruisers going from island to island. I'm planning for the Titre test. It's just the timing of this stuff I worry about. One more thing, what is "the US government form" you mentioned.

Jackie
Old 13-11-2011, 15:03   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Jackie, check out Sylvain's post here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post817362

Tags
cruising, pets