Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2011, 08:02   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, 40DS
Cruising with a Dog

WE have been underway for the last year, having sent most of 2010 in the Bahamas, then onto the Dominican Republic and currently enjoying Puerto Rico. We are sailing with our 4 year old Cocker Spaniel and have spent a lot of time on line reading about the requirements of various countries. To date we have had no problems, usually we know more than the officials checking us in. We are heading to the VI's next, US and British. The US should prove a non-event for us however we have been confused by the BVI's. We've followed the suggested course of action for entering with a dog into British territory however, each time we check a new website we find a different story.
Does anyone have current (2010/2011) practical experience with bringing a dog into the BVI's? How about any of the countries further down the chain. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SV Boto
Old 31-01-2011, 16:52   #2

Boat: Custom 55' catamaran - Cheetah
We have a small dog aboard and stopped in all the islands last year from Trinidad to Puerto Rico. French islands no problem, British are pickier, St Vincent and Trinidad very difficult. BVI's, we "forgot" to mention him. Be sure records are up to date including titor and chip. Doggie passport is nice. Arff!
firstchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 18:25   #3

We are heading south to the Bahamas and then down through Panama canal with our two dogs. I have seen people mention "doggy passports" but I am not quite sure what they involve or how to go about getting one. Please share. Thanks

Gayle
cldh2odvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 14:53   #4

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon
We just brought our dog into the BVI through St. Thomas. I highly recommend that you contact Mr. Deveaux with the Veterinary Division Department of Agriculture. E-mail: bvigov_vet@gov.vg I dealt with him personally and he was very helpful and friendly. The phone number is 284-495-1936/1269. They have a form that gives you the information that you need. He sent me a signed form granting me permission to bring in my dog. When we checked in at Virgin Gorda they called a local official who came to the dock, looked at the papers, did their "stamping" thing and we were in.
The pre-approval impressed him. We did everything they requested. Mr. Deveaux even gave me his cell number and emailed the US government vet in Atlanta because they questioned one of the BVI requirements. He is most helpful and pleasant. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 12:46   #5

Boat: Jeanneau, 40DS
Excellant info folks, thanks so much for the follw up. As for the doggy passport, we had the dogs chipped and then followed all of the requirements for PETS, pet travel scheme. THis seems to cover the requirements of most countries. Our problem has been too much contradictory information from gov't and civilian alike without the practical knowledge from folks that had just been "there".
Old 13-02-2011, 13:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
attack dog on boat
allways thought having a dog on a boat was a good form of defense......

now i'm not so sure think it might be better to go for the airbourne option...

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 13:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
That's brilliant, want one

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 06:45   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Crazy goose!! That's a great video!

Poor dog! I wonder what he did to upset the goose?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 07:22   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Actually... Geese for guard duties is not a new thing in the UK.... they are very territorial and create a ruckus if anythings nearby they consider a threat... and like swans they'll attack at the drop of a hat...
Not as powerful as the swans of Avon who've been known to break bones... but fierce enough to worry someone.. and loud enough to wake you for sure...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 08:23   #10

Boat: Westsail 32
Interesting to watch how threads morph.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 09:01   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Interesting to watch how threads morph.
Damn..... and I thought you hairy a$$'d sailors would have appreciated the long legs....
I knew I shoulda gone with the 11 gays and 1 man in a boat attacked by swans video...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 09:51   #12

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn..... and I thought you hairy a$$'d sailors would have appreciated the long legs....
I knew I shoulda gone with the 11 gays and 1 man in a boat attacked by swans video...
Appreciated, but is it not true that all legs are long, but some legs are longer than others (paraphrased from Animal Farm). Frankly I was waiting for the swan to bite her on the bum, but it never happened.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33   #13

Boat: Allied Seawind 30'
Re: Cruising with a Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
We just brought our dog into the BVI through St. Thomas. I highly recommend that you contact Mr. Deveaux with the Veterinary Division Department of Agriculture. E-mail: bvigov_vet@gov.vg I dealt with him personally and he was very helpful and friendly. The phone number is 284-495-1936/1269. They have a form that gives you the information that you need. He sent me a signed form granting me permission to bring in my dog. When we checked in at Virgin Gorda they called a local official who came to the dock, looked at the papers, did their "stamping" thing and we were in.
The pre-approval impressed him. We did everything they requested. Mr. Deveaux even gave me his cell number and emailed the US government vet in Atlanta because they questioned one of the BVI requirements. He is most helpful and pleasant. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions.
This is exactly correct! Always get your British entrance certificate before entering, it makes things so much easier! Mr. Deveaux is great! If you email him with a copy of your health certificate he will fax you the British certificate. If you check in at Jost Van Dyke it is the easiest (and seems to be the cheepest) they don't ask any questions or need to inspect the dog if you have the certificate (which is $10 and you are supposed to pay for it when you check in). Good luck and have fun! BVI is beautiful! We are thinking of heading to the Dominican Republic, is there anything we need to know about checking in with our dog?
SeawindGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:07   #14

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: Cruising with a Dog

In the Dom Rep, the officials will pet your dog on the head, welcome you all to their country, encourage you to get your dog ashore asap, request no vet/health/rabies certificates and maybe hit you up for a litle "gift".
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising