Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2011, 13:36   #1

Boat: 23.5 SeaRay
Cruising ! Where Do I Start?

My wife and I have decided that we are ready for the cruising life. We were regular bare boaters in the Caribbean for years until we discovered scuba. Now we're ready to head back to the Caribbean as cruisers. My ignorance is almost perfect. I need to research buying a cruiser and from that point my questions will become even more specific.
At some point, we will want to move our location from the Caribbean to Europe (having lived in England, and The Netherlands) we want to follow the sun a bit over there - once we have mastered life aboard much closer to home. (Although my wife is a Brit). I would humbly ask for advice and direction. Thank you.

Old 23-05-2011, 14:09   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Cruising! Where do I start?

Welcome aboard CF and enjoy the site...

You will get plenty of opinions and answers here, jutr ask away...

Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 14:13   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rug Murray.

Perfection, even in ignorance, is a rare and wonderful commodity. Be proud of yours. Very proud.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 16:00   #4

Boat: Niagara 35

I would highly recommend Beth Leonard's "The Voyager's Handbook". It is a very thorough, modern book which addresses many of the things to think about and a number of different ways to accomplish your dream based on your budget and personal "style" of voyaging. Great place to start.
Old 23-05-2011, 17:03   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Welcome to CF. For what you want you will need a blue water capable boat to cross the pond. Your budget will be the big facter between the perfect boat and the it will do boat.
Old 23-05-2011, 17:17   #6
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising! Where do I start?

Welcome indeed.... seems a pretty good start so far...
You found somewhere with quite a varied group of knowledgable helpful folk...
No matter what waters you want to to voyage too/in theres one or more members to clue you in...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:32   #7
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

If you're looking to use your boat as a dive platform, as many of us do, consider the advantages of an aft-cockpit layout with a walk-through transom. While alternate layouts can be made to work by using an inflatable tender as a dive platform, nothing beats a sugar-scoop transom for a scuba diver. I find that I also want a larger cockpit than many non-divers feel comfy in, because it makes for a better space to doff and don gear and to rinse.

Not as big a concern if you go with a multi-hull, which will inevitable have a pair of nice scoops for egress.
Old 23-05-2011, 17:40   #8
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising! Where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If you're looking to use your boat as a dive platform, as many of us do, consider the advantages of an aft-cockpit layout with a walk-through transom. While alternate layouts can be made to work by using an inflatable tender as a dive platform, nothing beats a sugar-scoop transom for a scuba diver. I find that I also want a larger cockpit than many non-divers feel comfy in, because it makes for a better space to doff and don gear and to rinse.

Not as big a concern if you go with a multi-hull, which will inevitable have a pair of nice scoops for egress.
Never mind just for scuba.. they're pretty good all round.. from getting outa dinghys to clearing a partly fouled prop/rudder with a boat hook...
Being that close to the water has its advantages... and the ladies really appreciate the lack of bruises to the inner thighs from clambering over the guardrails..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 17:54   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You didn't say what kind of boat so I am suggesting a cat. Read Gregor Tarjans book Catamarans, The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors. It's well written, not too technical and has lots of really nice pics. It spells out all the pros and cons of cats. It's in stock at Barnes and Noble. Be forewarned. If your wife ever sets foot on a cat then that will be the end of that. If you don't want a cat then don't let her see one, ever. You also might want to read the Bumfuzzle blog. It's about a young couple with almost no sailing experience who buy a cat and immediately sail around the world. It is addicting. You will not be able to stop. But there is rehab. BOB
Old 23-05-2011, 18:52   #10

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You didn't say what kind of boat so I am suggesting a cat. Read Gregor Tarjans book Catamarans, The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors. It's well written, not too technical and has lots of really nice pics. It spells out all the pros and cons of cats. It's in stock at Barnes and Noble. Be forewarned. If your wife ever sets foot on a cat then that will be the end of that. If you don't want a cat then don't let her see one, ever. You also might want to read the Bumfuzzle blog. It's about a young couple with almost no sailing experience who buy a cat and immediately sail around the world. It is addicting. You will not be able to stop. But there is rehab. BOB
There are some huge debates in the cruising community. One is cats versus monos, another is type of keel on a mono (and rudder). Don't panic too much when you run into them, people are out there cruising in all sorts of boats based on budget and preference and they all have their pros and cons.

One other caution on the cat is that they are bloody expensive and moorage can be a nightmare to find, depending on where you live. In my opinion, there were some pretty good cruising monos being produced 30 years ago, but cats didn't really start to come into their own in any numbers untile 10-15 years ago. Since I can only afford a 30 year old boat, I have a mono. In 15 years, maybe I can get a cat
Old 23-05-2011, 19:07   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

Grab some good books, which you no doubt alreay have, There are lots of books out there, The best one I have found is "managing your bluewater cruise" by Rory Burke and Sandra Buchanan. It delves into the pennies etc that other books dont go into. It will help you with working out ongoing costs.

ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: