Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 03:34   #1

Unhappy Cruising Venezuela 2019

Is there anyone currently cruising around Venezuela, that could share information. We have heard such great things about Los Roques. Yes we are aware of the current situation, but is it as bad a people make it out to be. We were told Brazil was a NO GO area to. We went and we so glad we did , it was so great we spent 5 months sailing the beautiful coast. We have quickly learnt that one must take what Noonsite states with a pinch of salt. One only hears bad and never anything good. Please let's keep this threat to non political replies.
Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:48   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Cruising Venezuela 2019

I'm not sure about that. Voilent attacks don't happen until they do. A boat that was part of the cruising circle I knock around in was violently attacked in Brazil last year. I'm not comfortable cruising that coast due to that incident, if it was a one off, well then maybe, but it's not. It's the potential violence that concerns me, robbery is temporary, violence isn't always.

The problem with these places is when it goes wrong it goes very wrong. I was in Samal Philippines only a a couple weeks prior to the kidnappings, the kidnappings took place literally meters from where we had been moored, I knew one of the guys that got his head cut off. That incident changed my perspective regarding the odds.

Of course everyone has to do their own risk assessment.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:10   #3

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

The crisis in Venezuela is heading towards a civil war and may escalate overnight. I wouldn't get anywhere it until it is resolved.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:52   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Venture View Post
We have heard such great things about Los Roques.
Is what you have heard from sailors who have been there in the last 15 years? I haven't heard a good thing about Venezuela from anyone in a very long time. I'm sure it's great if there wasn't a danger, but people have been attached and killed there - seems risky.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:11   #5

Boat: Lagoon 42

We are in Surinam ( very safe place btw , fantastic people , nature and food ) and were planning to go to Los Roques but I am considering giving it a miss due to everything thats going on
Old 09-02-2019, 08:10   #6

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

I worked in Guyana (very friendly people!) in November and one of the locals I worked with said that they don't consider it safe. The influx of Venezuelan refugees have become a real issue in Guyana.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
The crisis in Venezuela is heading towards a civil war and may escalate overnight.
This ^^^^^

Venezuela, right now, is a powder keg that could ignite at any moment. The risks could be manageable today, and completely out of control tomorrow. Do you really want to be in a country that could erupt into civil war -- quite literally -- tomorrow? I don't.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:37   #8

We , cruised Brazil, French Guiana, Suriname . All these countries were a NO GO area and we loved our time there we did these countries end of 2018
Old 11-02-2019, 05:40   #9

Those that have spent time replying to my question , have you been to Venezuela the last 6months. Or is it passed down info that you have read?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:06   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Venture View Post
Those that have spent time replying to my question , have you been to Venezuela the last 6months. Or is it passed down info that you have read?
if you expect to find groceries, medical services, supplies of any kind, food or other goodies, you may want to pass vene. stores have been empty for 3 yrs, now. folks eating garbage. zoo animals beyond dead. have a great time.
i have friends living there. they tell me what is happening.
does 10 million percent inflation mean anything to you.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:23   #11

The point is that information from 6 months ago, or 6 weeks ago, or even just 6 days ago is old information. The situation in Venezuela right now is extremely volatile, and changing every day.

I have friends who were living and working in Iran right before the overthrow of the Shah. Everything seemed okay -- until suddenly it wasn't. Foreigners there seemed to be reasonably safe -- until suddenly they weren't. Luckily for them, they were actually in England visiting friends when everything went sideways. Others were not so lucky. A Canadian couple they knew, who lived next door to them, has never been heard from since.

Having been through that, I can guarantee you that he would say you have to be crazy to plan a visit to Venezuela right now. A country on the brink of civil war is just about the most dangerous and unstable environment that you can find.

Your life, your choice, of course. I wish you luck if you decide to go, because you're going to need it!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 13:52   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

It can happen quickly.

Here's actual video of Sadaam's takeover of Iraq:

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 14:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Venezuela due to social unrest, violent crime, and pervasive food and medicine shortages. This travel warning also informs U.S. citizens that on July 27, the Department ordered the departure of family members and authorized the voluntary departure of U.S. government employees from the U.S. Embassy in Caracas...
https://ve.usembassy.gov/venezuelan-travel-warning/

Avoid all travel to Venezuela due to the significant level of violent crime, the unstable political and economic situations and the decline in basic living conditions, including shortages of medication, food staples, gasoline and water.
The Embassy of Canada in Caracas will be closed on February 12, 2019, due to planned demonstrations...
https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/venezuela

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to within 80 km (50 miles) of the Colombian border and 40 km (25 miles) of the Brazilian border. Drug traffickers and illegal armed groups are active along the border area with Colombia and Brazil and there is a risk of kidnapping. See Crime
The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the remaining areas of Venezuela, due to ongoing crime and instability. If you’re in Venezuela, you should keep your departure options under review. If the political situation worsens, the British embassy may be limited in the assistance that it can provide...
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/venezuela

Do not travel to Venezuela due to ongoing high levels of violent crime, the potential for violent civil unrest, political uncertainty and shortages of food, medicine and other basic supplies.
There is a risk of kidnapping due to drug traffickers and illegal armed groups operating within 80 kilometres of the border with Colombia, particularly in the States of Zulia, Tachira and Apure...
https://safetravel.govt.nz/venezuela

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 14:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

would you like a burial at sea? the people with guns are in charge. have you seen the movie "Captain Philips"?
if you are not worried about the politics In a country at war then politics don't matter and Trump must be OK to you. the point is politics affects you reguardless of your personal position.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 14:13   #15
Marine Service Provider

would you like a burial at sea? the people with guns are in charge. have you seen the movie "Captain Philips"?
if you are not worried about the politics In a country at war then politics don't matter and Trump must be OK to you. the point is politics affects you reguardless of your personal position.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Venezuela