Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 06:58   #1

Boat: Endevour,sloop,40 Destiny
Send a message via AIM to Jim St.Pierre Send a message via Yahoo to Jim St.Pierre
Cruising the USVI

Hello fellow Sailers and Happy New Year, I am looking for some info on where to anchor around the Islands of the USVI. I heard that St.Johns is new charging for anchoring, I always knew they charged for a morring, but now to anchor????. I am planning to sail there next fall. I am tring to get my ducks in a row now and get any and all info I can. If anyone could lead me to a more spicific place tp look or if anyone is around the Islands now, I would love to hear from you. Thank You S/V Destiny out of Cape Cod, MA
Old 06-01-2009, 07:10   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
You may want to use the cruisers search Cruisers & Sailing Forum as there are past threads on this. We have moored at Caneel Bay both times we where at St. Johns. There are several bays on the south side of the island which look nice but I haven't visited them. There is a great guide which most charter companies provide for free which shows all the anchorages. Amazon.com: Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands, 13th ed: Nancy Scott; Simon Scott, Ashley Scott: Books
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
St John

The National Park Service, not St John, charges for use of moorings in park waters. If all moorings are taken then one can anchor but a mooring fee will still be charged. Check with a host boat that you will find in some of the anchorages. There is no fee to anchor in non-park waters.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Gbanker is correct. Local folks will pick on you for attempting to pluralize St John...there is no S on the end in the USVI. No problem though.

Around St John the fee is $15/night and I believe there is a 14 day maximum per year. Not sure how well that is enforced. There is no fee to anchor in either Coral or Cruz Bays for up to 15 days. Again, enforcement may be spotty. Cruz Bay is very crowded. There are many comforatable places to anchor around St Thomas and some other islands in the area. Send a PM if I can answer anymore questions for you.

From the original post, I trust that you are well aware that fall is hurricane season. Most cruisers have sailed south out of the "box" or are hauled out and few chose to sail here that time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
The National Park Service, not St John, charges for use of moorings in park waters. If all moorings are taken then one can anchor but a mooring fee will still be charged. Check with a host boat that you will find in some of the anchorages. There is no fee to anchor in non-park waters.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:35   #5

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
We were there last month (and wish we still were!). Lots of mooring available from the National Park Svs at various bays on St John, I think it was $15 a night. We dropped the hook in Coral Bay and didn't pay anything and no one seemed to be collecting. Coral Harbor was fun, then went over to Long Bay and there was one other boat, very quiet and peaceful.

The big concern about achoring of course is the coral so be careful where you drop the hook.

Here's a link:
Virgin Islands - Marinas and Marinas
scroll down to "Designated mooring and anchoring areas"

Hope this helps,
craig in cold, wet, seattle
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:43   #6

Boat: Endevour,sloop,40 Destiny
Send a message via AIM to Jim St.Pierre Send a message via Yahoo to Jim St.Pierre
Thank You all for your comments... As things change in ones life, so has my thinking of sailing to the USVI... I am thinking more on going to the Abacos and spending the winter there. Not as long of a cruise, only 150 miles or so from West Palm. Lots of Islands to explore and just kick back. Anyone out there that has any info they would like to share, bring it on.Thanks ....... Jim
Old 05-02-2009, 09:33   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Lots Of Crime of all kind -heavy hard drug use- in the USVI - St John is sure the best of the three-I lived there for a year and found out first hand how people can hate you for the color of your skin- If your white you aint right - was the saying- very corrupt goverement - on the other hand very beautful country and some nice folks also

Bahamas is Better (except for the view)
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Interactive Abacos Cruising Information Map:
Abaco interactive cruising chart and map for 2002 Cruising Guide To The Abacos

Information for Boats Cruising Abaco in the Bahamas

Abaco Bahamas Cruising Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote