Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2009, 16:27   #1

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Cruising the US East Coast

In a few years my darling bride of the last 18 years and I in our Nor'Sea 27 intend to hop-a-long from New Orleans to Penobscot Bay Maine, about 3000 miles one way not counting a side trip up the Cheasapeake. We intend to be traveling for about a year and half running with the cool weather as it comes and goes. We'll winter in Florida and summer in Maine and spring in between.

We would be greatful for any information about where to go and when to be there.

Don
learsfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 16:36   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I live on Penobscot Bay. Our very best time is August and September. The very very best time is usually the first two weeks of September. Maine is worth a couple months and you might consider going "Downeast" even further than Penobscot Bay. You will not find better cruising on the East Coast.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 17:12   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
We've done the Tampa to N carolina part of the leg twice in last two years, wintering south and doing maintenance in St petersburg. St pete is a good stop on the way. Vinoy basin is free, close to groceries, many marine facilities, water tap. Next stop down coast Venice has free overnite dock, bicycle across bridge to cheap groceries. Further south day trip up caloosahatchee to ft meyers anchorage for cheap mooring with hot showers laundry and groceries. Dry Tortugas great stop, provision well no supplies there. Key west bight dinghy dock for 26 week. Boot key for hot showers, Home Depot Marine services, groceries, propane. Next overnite outside key largo near Robertson Island. Overnite at stiltsville Biscayne Bay. Palm Beach Peanut Island with dinghy tie up for Groceries supplies. Ft pierce has many anchoring possibilities , 2 days to Jax with free city docks 3 days allowed. Beaufort SC very boat friendly with free day dock near anchorage 1$ day showers laundry. Charleston anchorage across from city marina, free dinghy dock accessible 2' above mean low tide and higher. Good free internet, groceries, touring historic district. Little river Calabash free dinghy tie up. Marinas let us tie up free Little river near groceries. Hope this is some help.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 17:16   #4

My favorite times in the Chesapeake are April-May and September-October. June can also be OK, but July and August are normally hot, humid and light winds.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 17:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We would be greatful for any information about where to go and when to be there.
Best to be gone from New England by early September else you can take a while going south. June is not an assured deal in New England either. Chesapeake between Mid May to October is prime. Mid July to Labor Day is hot with sporadic winds though. You could catch it well going north and coming south properly timed.

Lots of places. You could do the trip 20 times and still find more places to go.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 18:29   #6

Thanks for the info.

Seems like a lifetime of places to go and people to meet. I do intend to cross the gulf to Dry Tortuga with all possible speed. I'm to old and ugly for the spring break crowd in the Florida panhandle. I'm thinking the Florida Keys for Jan. and Feb. Then head north for March, April, and May. Maybe spending June, July, and August in Maine and start back south in Sept. arriving in Florida sometime in Nov. Then back to N.O. sometime in the winter.

I'll take a clock but I'll leave my calendar at home.
Old 28-07-2009, 18:39   #7

If you're gonna spend that much time in Maine...you ought to consider taking part of it and heading to Nova Scotia...I'd do July.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 19:02   #8

Nova Scotia is a wonderful idea, but I have to tell you if the Canadians layer me with red tape and cruising fees that some "beaurakrat" pokes in the departmental pocket then I think I'll just stay in the good ole US of A where my dollars might do some good to my fellow man..... Maybe that young waitress in Maine can use the tip I leave her to buy her daughter a new pair of shoes.
Old 28-07-2009, 20:03   #9

I hear ya on that lears...but the Canucks at least head to Florida and return the favor!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 20:10   #10

Excellent Point!
Old 29-07-2009, 06:08   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Learsfool - I hope your boat can do 30 kts +/- consistently to accomplish that schedule.
From New Orleans to Penebscot is about 2,300 nm +/- one way! Working your way east and north to maybe the Carolinas might be full seasons worth of cruising and then do the upper portion the following season. There are just too many wonderful places to stop and spend some time exploring to hurry. And in October - about the time of the end of the Annapolis Boat Show - in the Chesapeake I have seen snow at the worst while sailing south and downright cold weather at best.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 12:20   #12

"Calendar? I don't need no stinking calendar!"
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 33T Hull #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
I live on Penobscot Bay. Our very best time is August and September. The very very best time is usually the first two weeks of September. Maine is worth a couple months and you might consider going "Downeast" even further than Penobscot Bay. You will not find better cruising on the East Coast.
Our daughter is looking at the Maine Maritime Academy (Marine Biology), and we hope to move around the Camden/Rockport area within a year or two. We will be visiting the area end of Oct.
gigglingdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast