Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37   #1

Cruising the Bayside of Upper Keys

I will be cruising the Florida Keys all of March.In the past,I have always used the oceonside for passages.I own a 43 Irwin with a draft of 5 ft(without beer!) and I am looking for suggestions for moving through the Bayside down to Snake Creek
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Cruising the Bayside of upper Keys

Stick to the marked channel and you’re fine... that said there’s a lot of side trips if you want to risk it in the unmarked swash channels. They’re easy to navigate in daylight as the water is clear.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Five foot is about the limit for SOME spots along the Bayside. You should try and do the passage at a high tide as much as possible. Why the choice to use Bayside? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14   #4

I would like to recommend cruisersnet.net. It has great info on the keys; anchorages, marinas, news, lots of stuff on the keys and all the ICW too.

One of their featured writers, Charmaine Smith Ladd sails on and off the beaten path in the Keys, and she draws 5'6" !! I believe she recommends a chartplotter

It is absolutely lovely, just watch out for the crab pots.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44   #5

Re: Cruising the Bayside of Upper Keys

To see new sights and possibly calmer anchorages
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 13:25   #6

We were cruising the bayside for Christmas week (as in, 3 wk ago), and we saw some 4.5' readings IN THE CHANNEL, so there is some silting. I do draw that, though, and never did bump, so maybe it was critters/growth on the bottom.

And yes, the crab traps are insane, not set in transects, and right damn IN the channel. Someone oughta call DMR ;-)

Love the inside. More to see. Calm empty anchorages. Even got a green flash sunset!

edit: the shallow bits were west of Snake Creek IIRC. You should be ok
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 16:27   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I just looked at the chart and decided to pretty much stay on the outside and I can move along in 3.5 feet. Skeered I guess? Everything looked so narrow.

Would like to know how it works out as we will probably be back down there for April.
Old 12-01-2012, 17:16   #8

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Stay inside the channel. I've be aground a few times up in there. The scenery is pretty nice and if you have a dinghy and the time, a side trip up is pretty cool.

I've been told, (but never have seen any) there are a lot of Bull Sharks in there.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:29   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We love the bayside of the Keys. You can anchor almost anywhere and always find a spot out of the chop. We came through the bayside about 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe the crab pots. That's the least amount of pots we've seen on the bayside in 20 years! Good for the recreational boater bad for the commercial fisherman. I agree 5' would be pushing your luck especially between Snake Creek and Islamorada.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 17:32   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I frequent this area and recommend anchoring off the Caribbean Club in Blackwater sound,- dinghy dock there. Tarpon Basin is better wind protected if needed. In Buttonwood Sound you can carry your draft into the deeper side of Sunset Cove and anchor off Snooks (I don't know if they have reopened after fire damage in 2009 or '10). The 4.5' spot mentioned above is a concern, but you can work with the tide; however, the Bayside tide is fickle wind influenced and not perdictable when the wind is blowing water in or out of the bay.
Old 12-01-2012, 17:54   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I draw 4’6” and went through in July... the only time I bought real estate was when I was somewhere I really didn’t belong anyhow... FWIW, the bayside is some of the prettiest cruising you can get in the CONUS.

Tags
cruising