Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 16:15   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Vote for Commandeur

I used Commandeur for two plus years and recommend them. If the Euro has dropped vs. the dollar, then they'll be even more competitive in their pricing. I think the liability exclusion (for guests) in their policy is acceptable, but that is just my opinion. I think this exclusion/limitation is very minor compared to the exclusions I saw with other providers' policies.

IMIS is also good, though I don't have first hand experience.

I don't recommend Bluewater and that is from first hand experience.
Old 27-10-2010, 15:21   #17

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
Pantaenius excellent - we particularly like the hurricane cover being in summary no box, no season but 25% deductible on a claim unless hauled out in approved manner or sailing.

IMIS were good too

Commandeur another one heard lots good about aside form the 3rd party liability which one would hope is irrelevant, the other odd clause is that you are only covered for theft of items in a locked strong room on the boat - ie in practical terms no contents coverage at all.
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 20:54   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
I think the liability exclusion (for guests) in their policy is acceptable
So you're not ever going to have anyone on your boat for happy hour? Because if someone slips and falls while on your boat, you will not be covered, and they could sue you for quite a lot. It's not just a minor exclusion.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48   #19

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Commandeur Insurance

Has anyone ever filed and collected on a claim with Commandeur?

I'm evaluating insurance coverage and the 'too good to be true' light bulb went off in my head when I got a quote from Commandeur. I just want a some comfort level they are a real insurance company. (their domain name doesn't help with the trustworthiness - the country of Nuie???)

I understand the liability and personal property limitations and will evaluate accordingly.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:59   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
My Leopard 42 is in the Caribbean. I re-shop my marine insurance every year, and once again I am insured with Pantaeneius for the best coverage and premiums.

Another vote for Pantaeneius.... fast settlements and assistance... great people..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:10   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Has anyone ever filed and collected on a claim with Commandeur?

I'm evaluating insurance coverage and the 'too good to be true' light bulb went off in my head when I got a quote from Commandeur. I just want a some comfort level they are a real insurance company. (their domain name doesn't help with the trustworthiness - the country of Nuie???)

I understand the liability and personal property limitations and will evaluate accordingly.
We have had Commandeur for two years. The domain is the standard one for websites in the Netherlands, where Commandeur is based. We have communicated with them in detail about a number of policy points and they have always been prompt and detailed in their explanations. They use Marsh Group and Lloyds for risk assessment and policy details and their underwriters are clearly stated in the policy (but I don't remember off hand who they are). I am unsure of what you mean by personal property limitations. Everything on our boat is fully covered by their policy.

The comment from another poster about property only being covered for theft if it is in a locked strong room is incorrect. There is no such clause in our policy.

We have been very happy with them.

We have never filed a claim with them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:13   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Commandeur would not give me a quote for less than 130, 500
Old 01-11-2010, 19:39   #23
Eternal Member

They want to insure it for what it would cost for me to go out and have another made, not how much it would sell for and/or I could buy an equivalent boat for
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

The comment from another poster about property only being covered for theft if it is in a locked strong room is incorrect. There is no such clause in our policy.
Obviously it can have changed, BUT in 2009 when we were quoted by Commandeur they forwarded us their terms and conditions document entitled "Marsh Insurance Conditions For Yachts 2006" clause 4.5.1 sub section e of that document states:

"theft, provided that it was preceded by forcible entry into into locked up storage rooms on the vessel or into locked up storage rooms ashore"

I asked for clarification as this was a deal breaker for us on their coverage and they confirmed that theft of contents was covered by that clause as stated.

Maybe my email feedback that the only reason they weren't getting our business wa that clause has change their mind in the last 18 months, but check carefully when you get the quote.

Mike - what terms and conditions did they send you?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50   #25

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The domain is the standard one for websites in the Netherlands, where Commandeur is based.

We have been very happy with them.

We have never filed a claim with them.

Mark

Mark, thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear the personal effects coverage only in a strong box is wrong. The lack of liability for visitors on the boat issue is understandable for a company outside of the 'sue-happy' USA.

Now I have a decision to make.

BTW, the top level domain 'NU' belongs to the south Pacific Island country of Niue. The Netherlands TLD is 'NL'. These are all based on the ISO 3166 country codes. I've seen various cases where the country code TLDs were being used for purposes other than the original intent, so this doesn't reflect any negative on Commandeur, it simply caught my attention.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:14   #26

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Sydney Tim - we cancelled our Pantaneus policy for that precise reason - they changed our hurricane cover to 'no box no season' - you could now be caught by a named storm anywhere and at any time of year and still be subject to a 25% deductible. Would you really want to stay at sea in a storm just to maintain 100% cover, and what about being caught in the mangroves or a marina when a late season storm like Tomas hits? Pantaneus were inflexible on this and I wondered just what I was paying the premium for. A pity their underwriters now take this view on hurricane cover as otherwise they are first rate.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30   #27

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I was moved from Vigalant to Chubb this year by my insurance broker. Chubb provides Caribbean coverage in the base package so I didn't have to buy a rider; saved me about $2000 for the year.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59   #28
Eternal Member

I have found that what varies is not so much rates as what is covered/offered and deductible. Commandeur's rate for the entire pacific and covering everything was about 1.5% of the value I asked for a quote on ($130,500 was the min their on-line calculator would allow).....a company here that would give me "full coverage" with in 75nm of my home port also charged about 1.5% of the claimed value.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriyah View Post
Sydney Tim - we cancelled our Pantaneus policy for that precise reason - they changed our hurricane cover to 'no box no season' - you could now be caught by a named storm anywhere and at any time of year and still be subject to a 25% deductible. Would you really want to stay at sea in a storm just to maintain 100% cover, and what about being caught in the mangroves or a marina when a late season storm like Tomas hits? Pantaneus were inflexible on this and I wondered just what I was paying the premium for. A pity their underwriters now take this view on hurricane cover as otherwise they are first rate.
Just to be clear it's 100% coverage if hauled in the approved manner, 25% deductible in a marina, hurricane mooring or anchored in mangroves.

For us it's swings and roundabouts on hurricane coverage, 25% deductible if we get caught by one versus 100% freedom to cruise year round, world wide and the ability to pro actively get out of dodge if a hurricane is coming rather than being trapped by the box.

It's easy to see a nightmare scenario either way but Tomas is a reasonable example. If we were in Grenada with Tomas arriving, we would be able to leave and sail further north to the BVIs say to increase the chances of it missing us - a more conventional policy would force us to stay in the hurricanes path due to the box. (Please no posts on the specifics of this plan, I am just using it as an illustration of the concept, we weren't there and so not monitoring the situation hourly!)

Yes a December hurricane could clear us up in the Bahamas but it will clear up anyone with a season and a box as well - best thing is to try not to get hit by one in the first place and the lack of restrictions makes that a 100% sailing decision not a financial one.

Like I say it's a personal choice, it suits us and we have found them flexible in our discussions re hurricane preparedness and we are happy with the current wording that we have.

By the way there is sort of a box in that north of Hatteras the clause lapses.

Mark - I would still be interested in what wording Commandeur sent you, as I very much liked their policy and price, it was just the strong room clause as I like to think we are more likely to get robbed than be in a hurricane!
Old 17-08-2011, 13:15   #30
Marine Service Provider

Re: Cruising Insurance Company for the Carribbean

I know this is a really old thread, but I think some people need to read their policies more closely. I got a quote from Commandeur just a few days ago, and it has the same clause as described earlier.

Quote:
theft, provided that it was preceded by forcible entry into into locked up storage rooms on the vessel or into locked up storage rooms ashore
With all the toys I have aboard...laptops, cameras, bike, kayak, dive gear, etc. that one could be a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
The last time I looked at the Commandeur policy it excluded coverage for injuries to your guests while they were aboard you vessel. So I guess that means you have to have happy hour on someone else's boat.
Even worse it excluded passengers aboard the dink, and while boarding or un-boarding both. Considering I plan on chartering, I think this may be an even bigger deal breaker for me.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote