Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 12:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 30' seawind ketch
Cruising in the VI and BVI

I'm looking at a boat located in Virgin Gorda and planning on cruising around the islands for the Winter months while I get to know the boat. Are there still places you can sail to and get away from all the charter boats? Are the anchorages packed? Do I have to pick up a mooring and pay for it in most places these days? I haven't cruised there since the 80's.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
chartertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 13:07   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Cruising in the VI and BVI

Depends on what you mean by "away from" and of course it depends on the season, but yes! It is not difficult to find beautiful anchorages where you'll see no one, or only a few boats. Of course the more popular islands have fewer of these spots, but they are there. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 13:09   #3

Boat: Island Packet 35

We've chartered in the BVI several times and found plenty of out of the way places to anchor. The charters all seem to follow about the same route and use the same moorages. But if you use your charts and cruising guides, you can find very nice places to anchor for free. Look for the small bays on the west and north sides of the islands with no mooring balls. Remember, you only have to pay if you stay overnight on the ball. You can anchor outside the mooring field, too. Just look around, there are plenty places.
buckoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 14:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

There is no place in the VIs you won't find a charter boat. I've taken my charter boat to Spanish VIs. While it's much harder to find a bay to yourself in the VIs than say the Bahamas, it can still happen. There are several bays I've had to myself in the BVIs.

I've sailed my charter boat for 3 weeks in the BVIs and without ever picking up a mooring ball. Sometimes that's anchoring outside a mooring field, sometimes that's anchoring in bay with no moorings at all.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 15:23   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Well... You can find some places in the Bvi without boats but they still have moorings. For example... Garners bay (little harbor) jvd. That is usually pretty empty but it's a great great location for hanging out a couple of days on a mooring.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising