Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 12:22   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Solarbri,

If you're going to charter in the Bahamas it'll most likely be in the Abacos. The sailing there is easy, all eye balling and even if you go up north through Whale Cay Cut the morning cruisers net will give you the sea conditions through all the cuts. The only downside in the Abacos is that your vacation might coincide with a cold front. The weather is iffy in the Bahamas especially around Xmas. On the plus side there's enough different places to go to all in sheltered waters if you choose. If you are new at this, BVI is your best bet, the sun always shines, 84 degrees and a nice breeze at Christmas time. Only down side is that it's getting very crowded although this financial thing might thin it out a bit. Hope you know how to anchor as that's your best bet. I've seen them fighting over mooring balls there!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:32   #17

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
The absolute best place to go cruising without alot of experience is the BVI.

The Bahamas have their own set of challenges and require more skilled navigation than some areas.

Good Luck
We were there last December.
Two whole weeks and there wasn't a day under twenty knots! Even got to sit on a mooring ball in Soper's Hole while the edge of a tropical storm rolled through.
Awesome place!
I think we'll be able to handle the Abacos and the necessary navigation just fine (I hope!).
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Solarbri,

If you're going to charter in the Bahamas it'll most likely be in the Abacos. The sailing there is easy, all eye balling and even if you go up north through Whale Cay Cut the morning cruisers net will give you the sea conditions through all the cuts. The only downside in the Abacos is that your vacation might coincide with a cold front. The weather is iffy in the Bahamas especially around Xmas. On the plus side there's enough different places to go to all in sheltered waters if you choose. If you are new at this, BVI is your best bet, the sun always shines, 84 degrees and a nice breeze at Christmas time. Only down side is that it's getting very crowded although this financial thing might thin it out a bit. Hope you know how to anchor as that's your best bet. I've seen them fighting over mooring balls there!
Are the Abacos as equally crowded as the BVI?
Our time slot is currently open... Is there a best (low crowds, good warm sailing) time of year to go there?
Last year the first two weeks in December worked very well in the BVI's, and I assumed it would be equally nice in the Bahamas.
We do live in the mtns. in Idaho and by the beginning of Dec. we are usually well into winter. So much so that I'm sure that any weather that the Abacos can throw at us would probably still feel pleasant.

...but maybe I'm entirely wrong..
Old 04-10-2008, 12:58   #19

solarbri,

No it's a lot quieter than the BVI. A lot fewer charterers there. If you look at a map Marsh Harbour is about the same latitude as Palm Beach in Fl. It is generally warmer than P.B. as the weather is moderated by the ocean. The average daytime temperature around Marsh Harbour in December is around 78 degrees. If the wind's in the east or southeast or south it's really nice. When it clocks around in a cold front and ends up north or northeast it gets chilly. Sometimes it'll stay in a northerly quadrant for a few days. If you like snorkeling take a wet suit. There's no way to predict fronts for December but I'm sure you'll like it. If you want quiet beaches or anchorages they're there, if you like the bar scene there's lots of that too.
Old 04-10-2008, 13:52   #20

Thanks Rick,
Do you think that the weather is nicer in january or February?
Is it less likely to have the aforementioned cold fronts?
Is christmas or any other major holiday busier there than any other time of year?
The 78 degree average for december sounds good. Here in Victor, Idaho the December average temp is around 19 degrees.
Old 04-10-2008, 14:08   #21

No there's just as many fronts. Like most charter outfits it's always busier when teachers and students are on vacation. But it's not that busy. I usually stay away from the Abacos till May. I spend the winter in the Exumas and see the Abacos on my way home in May. You still get cold fronts then. I don't think Dec is much worse or better than Jan, Feb. It's all about the same. Sailing in the Sea of Abaco is great, you can see the bottom all the time, it's all about 12 to 20 feet deep and you can see the starfish as you sail. For conch you'll have to know the secret spots.
Old 04-10-2008, 20:55   #22

We spent 5 winters in the Abacos. It really doesn't start to REALLY warm up until March but you can expect weather in the mid70s to low 80's before then. Nice protected sailing and good anchorages and moorings. Beautiful water and reefs. Just don't expect the weather to be any warmer than Miami in the same months.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Lucia