Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 18:46   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Cruising Guide to Long Island Sound and New England

I am looking for another cruising guide to the area. I currently have the Duncan and Fenn, Cruising Guide to the New England Coast. I find it useful, but I would like a little more information for actual anchorages and a little less on marinas. To give you an idea, I really enjoy Shellenberger's Gunkholer's Guide to the Chesapeake. So something along those lines would be wonderful. And I have the Maptech Chartkit, so I am not really looking for something with a set of charts. Maybe there is nothing of the sort out there, as I have already done some searching on the internet and the forum. Thanks for any and all advice.
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:35   #2

Boat: Bristol 30
Re: Cruising Guide to Long Island Sound and New England

I think you will have a hard time finding anything better than "A Cruising Guide To The New England Coast". I find most of the other books to be overpriced, poorly written, shopping and dining guides. I often suspect the authors have not even visited some of the ports they are writing about.

Any particular anchorages you were wondering about? There are many on here who can help
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46   #3

Agree with Soundbounder lot of the guides are based around marinas, dining and shopping. Cruising Guide to the New England Coast is still one of the better reads. Though checking out online sites like Active Captain can be really informative when looking for an achorages and up to date information.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Not a cruising guide per se, but after cruising LIS and NE for 18 years I found Anthony Bailey's book "The Coast of Summer" delightful and informative. Great to read before heading out on a cruise through lower New England.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 17:01   #5

Boat: Tayana 37
Thanks for the replies folks. I am least glad to hear I have not overlooked a useful guidebook. As you suggest, I should get used to using activecaptain in my long range planning rather than just for last minute checks while underway. I am sure I will be back with some specific anchorage questions as time goes on. At this point I am really just planning ahead for next year's cruise, getting a general sense of the area. And, finally, thanks for the book recommendation; I just ordered it on amazon.
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 18:11   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If you can find an old copy of Julius Wilensky's guide to the area he was the best. Even though it dates back to the '60s and early '70s you will find the information interesting and surprisingly useful, though of course there have been many changes in facilities, etc. since then. I particularly like his guide to Cape Cod and the Islands--again terribly out of date, but still interesting for the gunkholer. Surprisingly, for such a huge boating area, Long Island Sound has not been covered as well recently. There are the usual suspects like Waterway Guide and the Maptech/Embassy guides. Even though there tends to be major errors from time to time, I would still carry copies of these onboard.

Tags
cruising guides, Long Island, long island sound, new england