Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 11:31   #1
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
Cruising Guide East Coast

anyone know of a good cruising guide for east coast u.s. going outside not intercoastal
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 15:09   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you are going offshore...what would you expect to find in a cruising guide?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 15:48   #3
ub1

cruising guide

there seems to be alot of smart as--- on here I just wanted info on good places to stop along the east coast on the way to bahamas and western carribean
Old 07-08-2007, 15:57   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you are ducking IN, then you don't need an offshore guide.

The problem with ducking in and out will be the question of inlets. There are many you can't use except in good weather or daylight and then the question is, if you are trying to go offshore, how much time do you want to spend waiting for wx and going in through inlets? And how far in? Baltimore? DC? You're not "offshore" once you decide to enter the Chesapeake at all.

You're apparently looking for a cruising guide for just the major inlets, and that's got nothing to do with offshore /vs/inshore.

"Inlet hopping" must be covered someplace...I just wouldn't call it "offshore" sailing, since you'd still be coastal sailing in order to make those inlets in less than a full day's time--in and out each way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 16:16   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Have a look here. Claiborne puts out a great guide.

Salty Southeast Cruisers' Net ~ Your home for all the cruising news along the ICW

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 16:19   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
ub1, There are a lot of smart people here and most will be inclined to help you if you ask nicely. Usually a bit more detail helps get you a bit better response. I have made the trip about ten times, sometimes inside and sometimes out. I personally have not seen any guides detailing the outside routes and inlets. Most ICW guides or at least the good ones cover both even though mainly the inside routes.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some free On-Line AICW information:

Tom Dove’s Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) Online Guide:
/mysite.verizon.net/tomdove/icw.html
Tom Dove Home Page

Skipper Bob Publications:
home.att.net/~skipperbob/
Skipper Bob
and:
Waterway Updates: Skipper Bob
home.att.net/~skipperbob/waterway.htm
Skipper Bob

Cruising America's Waterways:
members.aol.com/americacruising/
Cruising America's Waterways

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:11   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If you are the Ub1 which is over at Hinckley's we should get together--we just came up the outside from Florida, and Klondike is on a mooring at Prudence Island while I am redoing the rigging at Hinckleys.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:49   #9
ub1

cruising guide

I just redid the rigging at hinkley's, great yard.I think my mast was next to yours in parking lot. The boat is in jamestown now would be interested in any info about your east coast trip.
Old 08-08-2007, 17:47   #10

The guide you need for all the navigable inlets south of Norfolk is Dodge's GUIDE TO SE US Inlets. Invaluable.
Inlet ChartBook: Southeastern United States - 3rd Ed.
Once you are in the inlet then the ICW guides will give you all the info you need.
Since the "ICW" is really offshore/Coastal north of the Delaware, the Dozier Northern Waterway guide is probably the most comprehensive single guide for the entire northern coast & harbors...though there are better individual guides to specific areas in the north.
Waterway Guide
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:01   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
We picked up the Inlet and Dozier guides mentioned above and they were adequate, but I was hoping that someone who has spent a lot of time on the east coast and has used all the various guides would chime in...

The next generation of cruising guides will also include wifi hotspots.

Coming up from Ft Lauderdale, we stopped at Ft Pierce, St Augustine, Charleston, into the Chesapeake for Fishing Bay, Solomons, Annapolis, and the Sassafras River (Annapolis is one of our favorite spots), then Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands, Manhasset Bay, Duck Island, and Block Island. I would go back to all of them.

Part of the decision process on where to stop was all-weather inlets and anchorages, part was the weather, and part was where the friends and family are.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:29   #12

Boat: Westsail 32
"The Cruising Guide To The New England Coast" would be an invaluable piece to the puzzle. Publisehed by W.W. Norton & Company, this is a hard covered book that covers a wealth of navigational and historical information for every inlet and harbor from the Hudson River to the coast of New Brunswick. Filled with many aerial photographs that give a very clear depiction of areas you may be transiting. I would never sail this area without it, cost was $40.00
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Local guide books can help you more than a single source. For example the Skipper Bob publication on the ICW is a great tool but only for the ICW and adjacent waters. The Chesapeake's Bay Guide is the best source for here as are many other local guides that provide the real details you need when coming into strange places. Things like where the anchorages are or other local knowledge can be critical. I would make a list of places you hope to stop at and then seek out the better guide books for them. There is too much you'll miss or never know about unless you dig a little deeper than an "Atlantic Coats" guide.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 20:28   #14

Boat: Valiant 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If you are ducking IN, then you don't need an offshore guide.

The problem with ducking in and out will be the question of inlets. There are many you can't use except in good weather or daylight and then the question is, if you are trying to go offshore, how much time do you want to spend waiting for wx and going in through inlets? And how far in? Baltimore? DC? You're not "offshore" once you decide to enter the Chesapeake at all.

You're apparently looking for a cruising guide for just the major inlets, and that's got nothing to do with offshore /vs/inshore.

"Inlet hopping" must be covered someplace...I just wouldn't call it "offshore" sailing, since you'd still be coastal sailing in order to make those inlets in less than a full day's time--in and out each way.
Well that is why he wanted a guide. Your answer would be offensive to most of us regardless of the number of posts you have made. It would appear that you do a lot more posting than sailing..
olegunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:26   #15

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
We asked a similar question a couple of years ago and having done the trip 3 times now my thoughts are that south of the Chesapeake and New England the guides are very ordinary, reflecting that 99% of cruisers are on the inside route.

Maptech one has a bit more info than the free coast pilots you can download, but as an example from the glossy ones Clayborn Youngs guide to Georgia was great for offering a range of B&B's I could stay in but failed to mention a single anchorage!

The issue with the trip is staging your in and outs for day light, but there are plenty of choices. The Skipper Bob anchorages book is useful even for a deep keeler/high masted boat as soem of the anchorages are reachable without transiting bridges.

Main spots we stopped south of NYC are Barnegat Inlet (all guides say no except coast pilot) we spoke to Sea Tow and got in with our 7'6" draft fine. This broke Sandy Hook to Cape May into two day sails, then obviously Chesapeake has good guides. From there, Cape Lookout in the bight is superb, Charleston, St Marys River, Lake Worth and Miami are all overnight sails in the right winds.

All those you can anchor easily and for free, no bridges and no running aground. There are other sin between obviously but we find an overnight run is easier than in and out of inlets on the same day as it takes a long time that way!
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising guides, east coast