Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2010, 06:53   #1

Cruising Cuba

We have been told that Cuba is a cruising destination unlike any other and as Canadians the time to go is before the embargo is lifted. We had thought of going to the eastern or western Caribbean this next winter; however now we are giving serious thought to Cuba. Our sailboat is in the Abacos so we can go whichever way the wind blows so to speak.
Can you anchor out safely along the northern coast or is it best to stay in marinas? What are some of the highlights not to be missed if we were to cruise the northern coast? Any books or websites about Cuba that you would recommend? Any feel for when the embargo will be lifted?

Thanks for sharing both your time and your wisdom.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 10:22   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
Any feel for when the embargo will be lifted?

I got a few cigar smoking buddies that are eager for this answer as well. I will be watching this space for input!

~
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 12:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Chrissy, I'm pretty sure Nigel Caulder published a Cruiser's Guide for Cuba a few years ago. I've not seen it, but all else he's written excells. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 12:30   #4

Nigel Calder's Cuba Cruising Guide published by Imray is the only guide as far as I am aware. It's a bit dated but we didn't find that a problem a couple of years ago.

Havana is a fascinating city plan to spend some time there. Why the North Coast? South is empty and fabulous! You'll go days without seeing another boat.Just make sure you are well provisioned.
Have fun...
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 12:40   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
You will have to do some research and careful planing. Cuba requires that you check-in at their listed ports of entry (like every other island in the world) and then you have to let them know where and when you will be at various places along your intended route. There are ports and areas that are restricted and very much off-limits to cruising boats.
- - Either north or south coast is reported to be the same with wonderful places to stop and visit. The south coast is more sheltered and of course is nearby to Grand Cayman and Jamaica.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 12:21   #6

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
havana is great and beautiful and not to be missed...then, heading west there are really nice, isolated anchorages all the way to the western end..good fishing/diving...a few places where you may have to check in but i can think of only one we did (cayo levisa)...get the calder guide and the cuban charts...they're really accurate... read over the proceedures for zarpes, etc since the cubans are real sticklers for details...have a ball
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 12:46   #7

Boat: CSY 44
This is a nice video cast with Peter Swanson about cruising to Cuba. Found on Mad Mariner's site.

MadMariner.com
RHoodJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 05:53   #8

Hello Chrissy,
We have completed our 13th winter season cruising in Cuba.
From the Abacos you have 3 route options.
1. Through the Bahamas to the Jumentos then across to Puerto Vita and westward along the north coast. During the mid-winter season, you must be very cautious about cold fronts.
2. Same as above to Vita or Santiago to clear customs and immigration. Then along the south coast. It can be a slog to windward until you have rounded Cape Maisi for Santiago.
3. Back to Florida, through the Keys and across to Havana (Marina Hemingway). The advantage of this route is that you can stock up in Florida which is cheaper and easier than in the Bahamas. It is important that you arrive in Cuba well-stocked with food and provisions.

In previous years of cruising in Cuba we have been into every bay and port. This year the rules have changed (rules are constantly changing in Cuba) clamping down on cruising boaters and where they can go. Now, you will only be permitted into marinas and tourist resort areas. You can anchor in remote locations provided there is no guarda frontera post. If you are in the vicinity of the guarda they will not let you ashore and will make you move on.
Though we got permission through Jose Esrich at Club Nautica in Havana, it made absolutely no difference, we were not permitted ashore anywhere except sanctions locations.

Don
marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 06:04   #9

Hi Don,
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We love anchoring out far from the madding crowd so it sounds like we have missed those glory days in Cuba. We have had 3 years in the Bahamas and are ready to move on...the western Caribbean was an option but less so after reading so much about security issues. The eastern Caribbean is busier and not without its crime. As Canadians we thought we should consider Cuba and I speak enough Spanish to get by and have fun with the locals.

Are you returning this next winter or did the restrictions ruin things for you? Do you know why the guarda is being so restrictive? Perhaps to get cruisers into marinas for income or is it strictly for control? Since our boat is in The Bahamas we probably would choose to provision in Marsh Harbour and leave from the Jumentos. Do you prefer the north or south coast and does it make any difference with these new restrictions? Obviously if we have a winter like we had last year with all the cold fronts it will make a difference as to where we can cruise safely and comfortably. We would appreciate hearing back from you ....you obviously love Cuba and its people!
Thanks,
Chrissy and Rob
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 06:43   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Don, I have just dropped Commodore Escrich an email and ask him to comment on your report of additional restrictions. I will post his reply as soon as I receive it. Sometimes that takes a while.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 07:05   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Now, you will only be permitted into marinas and tourist resort areas.
Quote:
We love anchoring out far from the madding crowd so it sounds like we have missed those glory days in Cuba.
Damn that sux!!!!!!!!!!

Cuba trying to be the capatilist pigs they hate!

I knew we had to visit soon, but thats quite upsetting!!

** I bet some clown will say: But the marinas are quite cheap and they deserve your money.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 07:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Don, I have just dropped Commodore Escrich an email and ask him to comment on your report of additional restrictions...
Commodore José Miguel Díaz Escrich, of the Hemingway International Yacht Club of Cuba (HIYC), is Cuba's (unofficial) Boating Ambassador:

Regulations | CubaSeas.com

Cuba Seas - The Definitive Source for Information About Cuban Waters

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 16:34   #13

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
Cuban Embargo

H.R.4645 - A bil to remove obstacles to legal sales of US agricultural commodities to Cuba and TO END TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS ON ALL AMERICANS TO CUBA - Vote was dated 6/23/2009, interested?

Quote:
We have been told that Cuba is a cruising destination unlike any other and as Canadians the time to go is before the embargo is lifted. We had thought of going to the eastern or western Caribbean this next winter; however now we are giving serious thought to Cuba. Our sailboat is in the Abacos so we can go whichever way the wind blows so to speak.
Can you anchor out safely along the northern coast or is it best to stay in marinas? What are some of the highlights not to be missed if we were to cruise the northern coast? Any books or websites about Cuba that you would recommend? Any feel for when the embargo will be lifted?

Thanks for sharing both your time and your wisdom.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 19:15   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I wouldn't start provisioning your boat to go to Cuba as a US citizen just yet. In fact, it will be many years before the status quo will change - unless - something and someone sneaks a rider into some other bill. Problem with that is there are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of lobbyists and staffers that examine every line of every bill for possible political benefit for their client. It is highly unlikely anything as politically "hot" as Cuba will sneak by unnoticed - especially if everybody is talking about it all the time.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27   #15

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
How long do we have to wait?

I have been provisioned and waiting since 1991, if change does not happen soon I may be to old to realized the benefits of visiting my neighbors. (90 miles away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I wouldn't start provisioning your boat to go to Cuba as a US citizen just yet. In fact, it will be many years before the status quo will change - unless - something and someone sneaks a rider into some other bill. Problem with that is there are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of lobbyists and staffers that examine every line of every bill for possible political benefit for their client. It is highly unlikely anything as politically "hot" as Cuba will sneak by unnoticed - especially if everybody is talking about it all the time.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba