Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-09-2013, 02:09   #16

Boat: Baltic 38DP
re: Cruiser murdered in Venezuela - MERGED THREADS

Human translation.

Dutchman killed on Venezolean island.

DUTCH NEWS

Yesterday, a 59 year old Dutch man was killed on the island Isla Margarita. The man was fatally shot on board his yacht off the shore of the city Porlamar, as confirmed by a spokesman of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs to nrc.nl.

The Dutchman and his partner were travelling on their yacht. They had already visited more than 50 countries. Press office Novum confirms that they had been at anchor off the Isle of Margarita for the past three weeks.

The couple was attacked last night by armed men who used a small boat to reach their yacht. The victim possibly put up a struggle, which resulted in him being hit by multiple bullets. The Dutchman died of his wounds in Porlamar's hospital.

The family has been notified, Foreign Affairs reports. There is currently no request for immediate help. Should such a request be made, the Ministry will investigate how it can provide consular assistance.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:14   #17

re: Cruiser murdered in Venezuela - MERGED THREADS

Pretty sad. I have a number of countries on my Do Not Go Near list from my Navy days....this being one of them.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:12   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Cruiser murdered in Venezuela

Rob, the cruiser who was murdered, was very well known in the Caribbean. I've had lots of emails from people about it.

Terrible news and a disaster for his wife... I dont doubt her chance of getting the boat out of V as the may not agree to her ownersip of it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Cruiser murdered in Venezuela

If I remember rightly a guy got shot a couple of years ago in that area second night at anchor... daughter jumped over the side...
Venezuela is a well know trouble spot and anchoring in an 'Amber Area' (Somalia is Red for me) for so long is pushing ones luck... no matter how experienced someone is... everything ends sometimes even luck..
That said... my condolences to the wife and family.. and may those who knew him raise a glass to the good times..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45   #20

Re: Cruiser murdered in Venezuela - MERGED THREADS

When in Chaguaramas, Trinidad I asked some Venezuelan boaters who'd come to Trinidad as tourists if I would be safe going there? The answer was unequivocal - no.

Still, there were foreign cruisers planning on going there who would not be deterred.

Very bad outcome.
Old 05-09-2013, 19:52   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Cruiser murdered in Venezuela - MERGED THREADS

Word is when folk tried to discourage them they replied they'd been there 8yrs earlier with no problems...
been a lot of changes since then tho'...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 20:03   #22
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Venezuela was a nice place in mid 1990's, a good hurry-cane hole during the winter months and cheap, cheap, cheap! Gad, a lot has changed.
Old 05-09-2013, 21:02   #23

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Concubina means common law wife. Defacto wife but not formalized by marriage.
Old 05-09-2013, 21:08   #24

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

The article attached uses the word "concubina" which instead of wife means something very much worse.

Mark
Mark
I am afraid you got a bad translation. "Concubina" is a woman who lives with, but is not married to, her partner. Nothing bad is implied by the word....
C
Old 05-09-2013, 22:50   #25

Would not compañera, pareja, or even novia be a kinder description?

Maybe it's just the English translation that carries the negative connotation?
Old 05-09-2013, 23:35   #26

Boat: Owens
Tragic situation and my heartfelt prayers and condolences to his family and those who knew him.

There's many beautiful places that may not be worth the risk to visit. However the reality is we are all just as vulnerable wherever we may be anchored. There's evil folks in all areas of this world so best be vigilant. After 50+ countries visited he was obviously a veteran cruiser, if it can happen to him it can happen to any of us.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
Would not compañera, pareja, or even novia be a kinder description?

Maybe it's just the English translation that carries the negative connotation?
+1!

Spanish is just like English - many countries, many nations, many ways words are used and not always meaning the same thing. Latin American varieties of Spanish (castellano) vary WILDLY from continental, modern Spanish (and from each other as well).

I would not jump to any conclusions as to which word is pejorative and which is not in Venezuela. Best to ask someone living in the same region (Margarita) and see what they say about the connotation & collocations of any specific word.

In civilized Spain, I have met the word 'pareja' is very common to depict people of same or opposite sex, living together. But this means nothing outside of its castellano/EU context.

( La/el novia/-o and el/la compañero/-a are everyday local terms (again, in continental, modern Spain). Their use will depend on who uses them and in what context and the uses and explanations will vary wildly from Andalusia to pais Vasco, from a religious university professor to left wing agricultural worker. )

My very wild guess is that Vanezuela may not have the institution of pareja (partner) and so they will not use this word in this context. Apparently 'concubina' is a word common to the reporter who wrote the report and they are probably a person from that region, hence they likely used the word that is used in such cases on the daily basis.

So, the use of 'concubina' is most likely either a legal or a local term, not a vulgar/pejorative one.

Cheers,
barnakiel, el
Old 13-09-2013, 16:34   #28

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Marina Concorde is only possible for shallow draft boats and is often full mostly with motor boats. They probably they where at anchor docking the dinghy at the marina. There is a proper marina on the other side of the point near the Hilton hotel.

From 1996 until 2010 I spent every hurricane season in Venezuela. No more, it is far too dangerous today. Fearing an invasion via Columbia, the president armed the people. Quite rapidly after this the crime rate tripled and the country became one of, if not the, worse on earth for homicides. I believe the rate is now about 50 or worse. The country is rich, the people are either very rich, or very poor. Difficult to imagine worse conditions for a peaceful life.

It is a beautiful and certainly the most exciting Caribbean country. Unfortunately you should sail way clear of that coast.
Old 13-09-2013, 16:48   #29
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I spent 3 weeks there a long time ago, was nice then, My condolences for her loss.
Old 28-09-2013, 07:23   #30

Re: Cruiser murdered in Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is not 'now Venezuela' - that country was a hell of a place already back in 2003 when we sailed by. And we sailed by because one night before our visit a cruiser was shot just offshore from Margarita.

Same old. I do not know where people get their over-romanticized ideas of such countries.

b.
You're right. I currently live in Venezuela and the whole country is like a rough urban neighborhood. It's a beautiful country but extremely dangerous and not someplace to just visit unless you have a security team and even then not a great idea. The murder rate in Caracas (depending on who is reporting it) is the highest on the world. And if you do come, give criminals what they want... they want your things and don't care about you.

It's a shame because Venezuela has a lot to offer... Just far too dangerous.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, paracelle, Venezuela

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: