Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2011, 06:09   #1

Boat: 1988 wellcraft sport fish 2011 optimax
crossing to bahamas

Hi All,
i would like to cross from west palm or miami in early may any one heading their at that time ??points are either old bahama bay or bimmi ! iam in an older 88 wellcraft with 200 ponies pushing me their........
ubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 06:44   #2

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: crossing to bahamas

if you leave from fort lauderdale you can hit bimini in 2 hours. it is only 50 miles away. more to do there in the water than in old bay IMHO. you can also then head to andros and the exumas and the berry islands easier than from old bay. gulf stream goes north about 2 knots but will not have much effect on a vessel going over 10 knots. If you want, call the CG and give them a float plan, call them when you leave and call them when you get to bimini. they will keep track of you along the way if you want calling you every 1/2 hour. I did this several time when i took my stiletto catamaran and also when i took my jetski to the bahamas.

good free service, they will also call someone on land if there is a problem for you. I found the CG to be very helpful when it comes to this
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 07:36   #3

Boat: 1988 wellcraft sport fish 2011 optimax

thank you captain KJ !!
CG ?
would you still have the number for them? this sounds like a great way to go for my first crossing ! it would make me feel a little safer knowing someone is watching out for me> thanks again great advice!!
ubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 08:35   #4

Boat: private yacht always moving

do a google search it can be fort lauderdale or miami or you can call them on channel 16 when youa re about to leave,,, i did this the first time over the radio and gave them contact info incase of emergency,,, i also called them when I was int eh middle of the gulf stream coming back from bimini on my 5 time,,, the wind picked up to over 30 knots, i spoke with them about the condition and that i was single handed,,,called them again every 1/2 hour just to give an updated position and again when i got inot fort lauderdale. they are good,,,,the ocean is VERY small when you get 15 miles out from land,,,,,,but the VHF radio can keep you safe,,,just have the safety equipment like radio, flares carry extra water,,, you can also have your boat inspected FREE by the USCG auxiliary,,, i did this for my jetski every year,,, found that when the police stop you they just look at the sticker and leave you alone
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas