Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2015, 02:46   #31

Re: Crossing Atlantic on charter boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
There are some large yachts (50-65') chartering the Med as a family business, and routinely moving to the Caribbean..
Thank you! I was thinking about it. Guess, they have their "own" skipper whom they can trust, especially on such size boats (50-65).
Natali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 03:08   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandercp View Post
Some friends and I did this from west to east in 1991. We were somewhat inspired by Buckley's Atlantic High, but on a lower budget.

In early 1990, we contacted a yacht charter broker (Nicholson, I don't know if they are still around) who handled charters for independent yachts. They gave us a list of boats that routinely crossed the Atlantic to charter winters in the Caribbean and summers in the Med. A group of us went to Antigua for race week in May to see the boats and interview some of the captains for the trip the following year.

We ended up chartering a Swedish flagged Beneteau Oceanis 500. The captain/owner came with us, but let us handle everything. He also supplied an excellent cook.

We all felt like we got a good deal. We got a great trip for an excellent price. We took 5 weeks with stops in Bermuda and the Azores. He made some money getting his boat delivered without much work and without having to hire a crew to help him.

I would think there are still boats out there that cross most years and would agree to make a reasonable amount instead of having to hire a delivery crew.
I am not familiar with a place like Antigua in the Med where a number of likely crossing charter boats would meet each year, but with thin internet and sat phones that may not be necessary.

Good luck, it is doable.
Meandercp, Thank you very much for the helpful answer!! and yes, Nicholson seems to be stlill around )
Old 27-12-2015, 03:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I was hired for a delivery from Antigua to the Mediterranean. Paid daily rate and return air fare. Repositioning for charter company
Thank you, adlib2! Was it a single action or the company does it routinely?
Were you looking for a job and sending your paperwork to the company?
Old 27-12-2015, 03:30   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Natali, isn't that about the time of the ARC?
alansmith, Thank you! yes, it is about this time. But I'm not going to participate in the race. Surely, I'll let you know!)
Old 27-12-2015, 03:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladis View Post
Hi,

May be you could take the boat of individuals not companies. If it was 2017 you could take/rent my own boat. Rental would be zero :-)

Vladis
Thank you, Vladis! Very attractive offer Definitely In 2017 I do it again!
Old 27-12-2015, 03:48   #36

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Even if you could find a boat, major crossings require a great deal of equipment & preparation & charter boats barely have enough kit for coastal charters, let alone an Atlantic crossing.

Consider buying a (Caribbean attractive) boat, doing the crossing, & selling at the other end. Maybe you can get some of your money back. With a charter you certainly wouldn't.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 04:34   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I have a vague recollection that Buckley chartered that boat from an individual, not a company.
Quite true; but it may have been more of a delivery, than a charter (my memory fails me).

William F. Buckley Jr’s “Atlantic High” tells about a 30-day trip in June 1980 from St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, via Bermuda and the Azores, to Marbella in southern Spain.
The boat was a 71-foot ketch, “Sealestial”, owned by Dr. Michael Papo, a Yugoslav-American physician, who practices in Detroit.
In the summer of 1980 Dr. Papo wanted to have the boat in Mediterranean waters, and Buckley arranged this trip to take it there.
Buckley was to be in charge during the passage, save in any dangerous circumstances at which time the captain, Allan Jouing, would take command, if he disagreed with the writer's actions. This contingency never arose.
Six friends accompanied Buckley & they were responsible for the sailing, all the navigation & piloting. In addition to the captain there were 3 other crew members: a first mate, stewardess and cook.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 05:07   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Thanks Gord. Interesting piece.

But, however, and ummmmm, one is either the skipper or they are not the skipper.

The OP has varied since the first post or there was ambiguity there. Does he want to be skipper and charter a boat wherever the wind blows... or does he mind being behoven to a skipper and/or time, route destination, etc?

Having my own "personality" (Ahem!) I find there is a HUGE difference. While I will skipper anything anytime its a vastly different thing to be under the thumb forelock tugging for 30 days to someone else no matter how competent they are. Because there's only 1 person who makes the decisions and without that responsibility I am neutered, castrated, chopped off in da prime - and consequently bored at being glorified rail meat.
But that's only me!
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 03:57   #39

If you were willing to do it through a sailing school you could try this one:
Centre Nautique Les Glenans
www.asso.fr
They regularly provide training courses which sail between Brittainy and the French Carribbean islands such as Martinique. They will provide a very competent skipper/instructor who will usually have the crew members take turns to be in charge for 24-hour periods.
You seem to have some like-minded crew also willing to take this trip, so if there are enough English speakers they will provide the course through English.
SpiritofGlenans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 00:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Natali, isn't that about the time of the ARC?

I can imagine the reticence of a company allowin an ocean crossing. Huge liabilities involved. You can also imagine the insurance nightmares involved. Who is covering who's ass?

If it can be done let us know because I have never heard of it other than Buckley. If u are loaded u might be able to talk a private yacht owner into it. Best of luck and welcome to CF
Hi, Alan! Yes, finally, there is a french company that provide the sailing boat
for charter, but the price is hiiigh... And, I guess, they do it more for delivery than for charter.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:26   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Crossing Atlantic on charter boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Even if you could find a boat, major crossings require a great deal of equipment & preparation & charter boats barely have enough kit for coastal charters, let alone an Atlantic crossing.

Consider buying a (Caribbean attractive) boat, doing the crossing, & selling at the other end. Maybe you can get some of your money back. With a charter you certainly wouldn't.
I think I'd dispute this statement..!!
Two reasons.. the first is new cats are regularly delivered in 'Charter Condition' from France to the Caribe..
Secondly I've done it solo a few times in basic boats.. 2 were not even in what you would call 'Fit for Charter'..
My take is many folk take/add a lot of stuff they've been blagged into believing is essential..
But..!! That's the beauty of the Life.. no Busybody Organisation (apart from the ARC's) dictating what one can and cannot sail with.. or without..
And based on their own personal limitations in various area's..

The second statement I agree with.. every year in the BVI's there's boats coming out of charter from 5-10yrs old and cheap, the majority are in Trans-Atlantic capable condition bar CP charts and maybe a dinghy and liferaft.. solar/wind can also be added at SMX in quick order.. sufficient for the crossing and as you say.. one can with luck get most of one's money back.. if it sells quick enough..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:15   #42

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quite right, Phil - I've delivered across the pond for most charter companies, boats which have just come out of build. The companies accept the fact that you have to spend about 3000 euros on safety, cooking, eating and other gear (I think that was what we paid last time!?!)
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:11   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think I'd dispute this statement..!!
Two reasons.. the first is new cats are regularly delivered in 'Charter Condition' from France to the Caribe..
Secondly I've done it solo a few times in basic boats.. 2 were not even in what you would call 'Fit for Charter'..
My take is many folk take/add a lot of stuff they've been blagged into believing is essential..
But..!! That's the beauty of the Life.. no Busybody Organisation (apart from the ARC's) dictating what one can and cannot sail with.. or without..
Thank you very much for reply! Yes, I also agree with you! The question is now where to find a boat?!
Old 01-02-2016, 12:40   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

I think you can rent a boat from an individual: you pay the insurance and the return delivery costs plus whatever is seen by the parties as the rent amount.

I am sorry I cannot help with a company name - but I am sure if such a company exists, you will have to look for it on the continent. We are in the Canary Islands and to my best knowledge, there is no such a company here.

Expect to pay some $$ - the boat will be away from the EU for nearly a year and there will be a considerable use to the boat too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 13:11   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali View Post
Thank you very much for reply! Yes, I also agree with you! The question is now where to find a boat?!
You have not told us what experience you have.

Whether or not this dream is feasible will likely depends on the willingness of an insurance company to cover you.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter